Different Angles While Riding

MotoCafe

YouTube/MotoCafeRacer
Aug 9, 2016
Columbus Ohio
I ride a
1971 Honda CB750, 2014 Triumph Thruxton 900
I used a selfie stick on a deserted side street when I shot “Cold Ride.” It was VERY challenging and I don’t recommend it. But I did get some cool shots...

Reactions: YBGuy

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
The craziest thing I ever did was mount my camera to my visor with a suction cup. I could barely see, but got some good footage. I also did it on a non-active residential street. Won’t recommended it on any sort of main road or street.

-Wuf

• Wow

TWWaffle

Waffles
Mar 9, 2018
Houston
m.youtube.com
I ride a
2011 Zx6r/2008 Sportster 1200
I've got an older GoPro for another camera angle. I enjoy using a suction cup mount, and if there's anything I feel is worth shooting I'll either do a double take (helmet cam) or stop if it's a nice scenic place, and has a place for me to pull off. Or if it's rural enough and not in a blind corner.

Reactions: scooterwuf

AndrewF

The Broke Petrol Head
Jul 10, 2020
Cork, Ireland
I ride a
2007 Suzuki V-Strom dl650
Hi Guys I am very new to vlogging and recording riding shots and have been doing a lot of experimenting lately, there is a lot of equipment available if you have a good budget but if like me your broke you have to find work arounds. I currently have one cheap action cam and a good selection of mounts and clips. I will be adding another action cam to the kit soon but for now i get multiple views by usings a chin mount for forward facing footage with my action camera and my phone mounted on a gps bar with a quadlock kit which is angled so the camera and screen are facing the rider and giving head shots

Reactions: HippoDrone

TBRD

Throttle Back Rubber Down
Jul 9, 2020
I ride a
2020 BMW S1000XR
Is it as simple (an potentially dangerous) as holding a camera while riding? Or do you have multiple cameras? One of my favorite channels is Adam Sandoval Rides. He frequently has shots of the landscape as he's riding by, but from the side. I can't imagine whipping out a camera or my phone and recording while I'm riding.

I am probably more safety conscious than the average rider and I can't imagine doing anything but multiple cameras. My rule of thumb is if the camera is distracting my riding in anyway then it is a problem. As a rider I do everything I can to mitigate risk. I currently have a two camera set up but have thought about getting a cheap third for the purpose you describe.

TMackie

Up Shift Freak
Jun 12, 2020
Alberta , Canada
I ride a
Victory Vision 8 Ball , Indian Chieftain
I use multiple cameras depending on who I am riding with I may use 3 cameras. When Riding with my wife I use 3 and she wears hers. Sometime I just use my GoPro 3 on my 3 axis gimbal and I can catch multiple angles, he only problem I have is riding too fast with the gimbal and it powering off . I will figure that out I'm sure. I liked my 360fly 360 degree camera, but I think they have folded or something as I can no longer find support.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
The trick is getting all the different cameras synced up. Once done it’s a joy when it comes to editing. Another problem is if one camera reaches its file limit and generates another file. Some brands pick up where they left off, and some have a loss of a few seconds but enough to throw things out of synch.

Hitting your horn can work as a second synch mark, or adding a tail slate at the end of your ride does the trick too.

-Wolf

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
Certainly in the UK using anything handheld while riding will land you 6 penalty points - the same as using a phone while riding. I wouldn't have any issues doing it off road though - really depends on your level of confidence.

I've used up to 4 cameras on the bike at any given time, including one on my helmet - once synced in Lightworks you can dynamically switch angles 'live' when doing your final edit using multicam bins, really easy. I expect other software has similar features, although you do need a high spec PC if doing 4k. Also started playing around with multi cam, multi bike which adds another dimension.

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
I use multiple cameras now. I have a cheap camera someone gave me I use for front on, I use the Hero4 black on the back and my new Hero7 black the helmet.

I also have my mates Hero4 black connected to my GoPro remote so I can control his GoPro from my remote!

Fool Moon

Wannabie Member
Jun 25, 2020
Northridge, California
I ride a
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT
I stared with just one camera which i could swing 360. now i have two cameras and can double the angles. My wife never questioned my rigging when we helped a guy that did a hard skid/stop-near crash cause he was go-proing by hand and missed his clutch. my goals were stable, above-eye level footage, and at any speed or conditions.
6BD270ED-21E1-42DE-90E5-4D7C4A1F6748.jpeg

Fool Moon

Wannabie Member
Jun 25, 2020
Northridge, California
I ride a
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT
Speaking of the pole. Where the hell do people keep this contraption while they're riding and not recording?
I have a cheap monopod that has a RAM ball that acts as a selfie-style stick. not used much in riding, wife doesn't want to, but it's nice to get the camera places i can't; like underwater, over walls/rocks, closer to animals, etc. I fit it in my saddlebag easy enough.

MMVNJ

Wannabie Member
Jul 28, 2020
I ride a
Indian Scout
Just shot my first video with two cameras. Getting things synced up after cutting some dead air out seemed to be a pain. I'm gonna play with it more on my next ride.

I just have a mount on my handlebars and then one down on the highway bars, still pretty new to all of this, so I'm learning as I go.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
When ever you start recording with 2 or more cameras, get them both in shot and do 3 claps so you can sync them easier when editing :)

Reactions: MMVNJ

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
When ever you start recording with 2 or more cameras, get them both in shot and do 3 claps so you can sync th em easier when editing :)

I tried things for the first time they other day. Failed miserably! I need a more powerful laptop to be able to load all footage at once to sync!

MickFist

Wannabie Member
Aug 20, 2018
Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer 600 '98 - The 'Mistress'
I did do a video with a selfie stick in my arm.Its actually part of my intro now. But, never again!

Generally, I tend to have a mount on my chin, then one cam on my handlebar. I use that camera for something else now, so need another one.

lol - I once built one of those backpack rigs from the remains of an old hydration backpack, for an over the shoulder view? Looked a little lame/cringey, so never put it to use. It didn't account for being able to pack down, so remained this unwieldy piece of apparatus. Plus, the Insta360 really started to take off, so felt a little obsolete. I do intend to use it at least once to see what the results would be like. I figured it would come out on special occasions, rather than routine use in a motovlog. The mean streets of Birmingham aren't ready for my DIY on the daily commute haha

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
When ever you start recording with 2 or more cameras, get them both in shot and do 3 claps so you can sync them easier when editing :)

Yep, I've been using the clap method and it works great, though just one clap works fine for me. It's been much easier than I expected syncing the dual feeds.

MickFist

Wannabie Member
Aug 20, 2018
Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer 600 '98 - The 'Mistress'
Yep, I've been using the clap method and it works great, though just one clap works fine for me. It's been much easier than I expected syncing the dual feeds.
My Sync method has always been 1 - 5 Mississippi - no idea where I got that from :/ lol

• Haha

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts