Different Angles While Riding

Sharktank

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2011 Road Glide Custom
Is it as simple (an potentially dangerous) as holding a camera while riding? Or do you have multiple cameras? One of my favorite channels is Adam Sandoval Rides. He frequently has shots of the landscape as he's riding by, but from the side. I can't imagine whipping out a camera or my phone and recording while I'm riding.

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Is it as simple (an potentially dangerous) as holding a camera while riding? Or do you have multiple cameras? One of my favorite channels is Adam Sandoval Rides. He frequently has shots of the landscape as he's riding by, but from the side. I can't imagine whipping out a camera or my phone and recording while I'm riding.

I use multiple cameras and have them synced with a remote. I agree with you that holding something out like a self stick is a bit on the unsafe side.

One idea might be to use a pole that is fixed to the bike though. Another would be to have a drone with tracking but that can be quite the outlay of cash. Finally, you could have a riding buddy with a camera aimed at you gather the footage.

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
I usually do one angle but I did use my old SJCAM for a big ride out to remeber the fallen over the weekend. Though I do like it every now and again when someone does a vlog with a camera facing them as well. Nice to throw a change in there occisionally.

Reactions: Sharktank

Sharktank

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2011 Road Glide Custom
After I posted this, I remembered a little wrist mount that came with a generic gopro accessory kit I bought. I dont have multiple cameras just yet, but this could be an option. Depending on the length of the ride, i dont know that I'd want something attached to my wrist the whole time or not

Sharktank

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2011 Road Glide Custom
I use multiple cameras and have them synced with a remote. I agree with you that holding something out like a self stick is a bit on the unsafe side.

One idea might be to use a pole that is fixed to the bike though. Another would be to have a drone with tracking but that can be quite the outlay of cash. Finally, you could have a riding buddy with a camera aimed at you gather the footage.

Speaking of the pole. Where the hell do people keep this contraption while they're riding and not recording?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I have a selfie-stick which I collapse and keep in my pocket. I don't use it on the bike though.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
The current back pack I have has some straps which I can put a rod or pole through to prop the camera but since the bag itself doesn't have vertical chest and waist straps so the back pack isn't fully secure to the body and moves about when riding. The next bag I plan to use will have the extra straps and probably I will setup some custom bracket/mount to install a removable pole system should I want to use such a viewing angle.

Reactions: HippoDrone

MIcruiser

SW Michigan motovlogger
Sep 25, 2015
SW Michigan
I ride a
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300
https://www.youtube.com/c/MIcruiserGUY
The current back pack I have has some straps which I can put a rod or pole through to prop the camera but since the bag itself doesn't have vertical chest and waist straps so the back pack isn't fully secure to the body and moves about when riding. The next bag I plan to use will have the extra straps and probably I will setup some custom bracket/mount to install a removable pole system should I want to use such a viewing angle.
all you need is a selfie stick and a roll of duct tape.

Sharktank

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2011 Road Glide Custom
with.... mounting
The stuff I'm referring to can't possibly be mounted. He/They are either holding a camera while riding or have it secured to their body or wrist somehow. I suppose I'm more concerned with where do you keep the camera where it's this easy to get out, unlock, record, put away without being completely dangerous.

AmpdMoto

Check Me Out on Youtube
Aug 28, 2015
I ride a
Harley Davidson VRod
Adam usually has his girlfriend filming those side shots. That wrist mount for the gopro gives you that selfie look but is much safer as you still have use of your hand.

I use multiple angles at least 2 all the time but lately I've been throwing the sony action cam on as a 3rd angle on the passenger pegs.

Sharktank

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2011 Road Glide Custom
Adam usually has his girlfriend filming those side shots. That wrist mount for the gopro gives you that selfie look but is much safer as you still have use of your hand.

I use multiple angles at least 2 all the time but lately I've been throwing the sony action cam on as a 3rd angle on the passenger pegs.

Makes sense with the 2nd passenger. He's been hosting this new girl lately. Wild Ride with Jewelz. She does similar shots but I'm convinced she's alone. Who knows. Maybe just taking the risk.

I just put a mount on my dash to hold my 360 cam on a video I did recently, but I think I'm going to utilize my 2nd GoPro on it soon for 2 angles at minimum. I do want to get some lower forward facing shots. I like those angles quite a bit (where you can see the road, shoes, front wheel, etc).

Mark

Our Scenic Life
Sep 15, 2017
Ohio, USA
www.oursceniclife.com
I ride a
2014 Canam Spyder RT
I have multiple mount points on the Spyder. Since the gopro mounts are so simple I have it down to seconds to unclip and clip into another mount. I have a custom band for a gopro remote that is fixed to my left grip for easy thumb control. For other more complicated shots the passenger will use a 3 axis gimbal.
Everything to this point has been with one camera, but by end of year I will have 2 more.

Reactions: R-Rated

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Multiple cameras, multiple mounts and multiple shoots. I would discourage shooting anything that requires your hand to operate your camera while riding, as it will reduce your ability to control your bike and risk your own security.

I currently own two cameras, but can check out GoPros from the schools where I teach. Check to see if your camera has a helmet mount accessory, for the top, side or front/jaw of our helmet. My favorite mount is a suction cup mount as it allows me to place the camera(s) on the windshield facing the rider, or outward aimed down the road. I can also place it on side panels and the front fairing as well for low angle, frontal and rear shots. Chest and wrist mounts are also possible. I once placed my suction mount on my helmet visor (I wouldn't encourage it as I was practically riding blind).

I've shot the same route a few times, at the same time of day with a different camera angle for good B-roll coverage. Recently I got my second camera and placed a mounting adhesive on my right mirror for a good 3/4 shots of the rider (me), over my dashboard shots, down the road shots, or shots facing the right side of my bike.

My next vlog will include a set of four camera angles while I'm riding interspersed with drone and time-lapse footage of the city I'm riding in. The real trick with more than one camera (if they're different brands) is to match the exposure and color quality, or keeping the continuity consistent if the footage was shot on different days, or under different traffic and weather conditions.

- Wuf

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
I just use the 2 cameras. I do have a go-pro that I basically never use, I really should do something about that, I just don't like the quality it gives.

I am using the drone more and more though.

Undead MV

If there is light, there shall be dark
Oct 9, 2017
Mexico City
I ride a
Bajaj Avenger Street 220
I use 2 cameras, #1 on helmet, #2 mounted over the bike's fender aiming onward, but is a good idea capture the landscapes, i was thinking to film myself while driving as i speak, i dont know.

MusingRab

Wannabie Member
Mar 2, 2018
Edinburgh, Scotland
I ride a
BMW F800 GS
Off-roading / trail riding?
Go nuts. Do whatever to get those mad angles.​
On busy roads with pedestrians and traffic?
Probably as distracting as using a mobile phone.​

It comes down the context of the situation.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts