Davinci Resolve 16 MutiCam Clip editing

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
This is a quick how-to tutorial on how to create and edit multi camera clips within DaVinci Resolve 16. This works in the free and paid versions and requires no extra plug-in's or software. This is base resolve functionality.

(I apologize that at one point the audio from the video is a bit loud compared to my voice.)

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Thanks, watching it now!

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
OK, I finally finished watching it - what a great, quick tutorial! Also - especially for motovlogging - that tip about using the claps as your IN point was money!

I didn't see you do it with your mouse - what did you press to set the IN point on each clip?

Thanks! I bookmarked that video so I can watch it as a refresher later on :D

-John

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
To mark an in point. Press i on the keyboard. Press o to mark an out point.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
To mark an in point. Press i on the keyboard. Press o to mark an out point.

Thanks!

I'm going to pick up my Harley (Street Glide) in a little while, so I'm going to at least TRY to do a dual camera vlog on the ride home. Gotta figure out the 2nd camera placement (I am bringing my Jaws GoPro clamp mount and large bar mount with me for the handlebars - one's gotta work, right?).

I have a few neat tricks planned for a few shots before I ride, and then when I get to editing it, your tutorial will certainly help. Gotta remember to do the CLAP :D

-John

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
Thanks!

I'm going to pick up my Harley (Street Glide) in a little while, so I'm going to at least TRY to do a dual camera vlog on the ride home. Gotta figure out the 2nd camera placement (I am bringing my Jaws GoPro clamp mount and large bar mount with me for the handlebars - one's gotta work, right?).

I have a few neat tricks planned for a few shots before I ride, and then when I get to editing it, your tutorial will certainly help. Gotta remember to do the CLAP :D

-John

The clap helps for sure. IF you forget, give your horn a quick honk. It will be loud enough that all the camera's will pick it up, and you will have a spot to sync to.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Ace little clip, moved it to editing talk as it will get buried if in members vlogs.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I've tried using the multi-cam function in Resolve, but honestly I'm so used to doing it manually in the timeline that I prefer to keep doing it that way. It doesn't make much difference for me timewise between the two methods.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I think on my next vlog, I may try the manual method.

At the end of the YT video I found to do it (in addition to yours), was a way to improve playback while editing. Turns out that 3 streams (2 source and one output) can really tax a machine LOL.

I had no issues with playback while doing it the manual way. Boy that sounded bad :D

-John

• Haha
Reactions: HippoDrone

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
I don't use Resolve but will check this video out as always open to suggestions for how to improve content.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I don't use Resolve but will check this video out as always open to suggestions for how to improve content.

What do you use?

I have said elsewhere, but the quick version is: I tried VSDC, moved on to HitFilm Express, and then found Resolve. It's a pro-level editor, so the learning curve is steep but the breadth of features is amazing... and it's free. It rocks, but sucks up resources like no other program I've ever used. (I've seen it use 100% CPU, 55% GPU, and 17GB of RAM, simultaneously!)

-John

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
What do you use?

I have said elsewhere, but the quick version is: I tried VSDC, moved on to HitFilm Express, and then found Resolve. It's a pro-level editor, so the learning curve is steep but the breadth of features is amazing... and it's free. It rocks, but sucks up resources like no other program I've ever used. (I've seen it use 100% CPU, 55% GPU, and 17GB of RAM, simultaneously!)

-John

I use Abobe Premier Pro. It is also quite a steep learning curve and far out does my skill level. Really am just playing at it.

Also sucks up resources on PC which is reason I purchased a custom made desktop as laptop wasn't up to the task.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Jump on to Resolve 17 mate there are improved tools for multi cam workflow.

Yeah? I hadn't heard of any yet - this makes it intriguing. Did you have any issues upgrading from DR 16? I currently have 8-10 projects in editing, so I would hate to lose the progress I've made on those.

Have you had any stability issues? I am not very quick to jump to software still in beta.

This. I am 100% going to go with 17 at some point, but don't want to risk any stability issues.

I use Abobe Premier Pro. It is also quite a steep learning curve and far out does my skill level. Really am just playing at it.

Also sucks up resources on PC which is reason I purchased a custom made desktop as laptop wasn't up to the task.

That's why I got a new laptop, and while it isn't 100% awesome for editing, it does a 90% good job for my needs. The physical environment it has to work in can be brutal and I find laptops last longer out here on my glassed-in porch than do desktops.

-John

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
I've had no issues at all upgrading from 16 to 17 beta in fact it may even be more stable (for me. But of course its IS a beta so YMMV).

Feedback on YT seems to be that the few things that don't work there are easy work around or just require a restart. (and if you have autosave / regular back up set then you won't lose much or anything)

Just MAKE SURE you back up the database before dong the upgrade.

If you want to try there is a way you can actually have them both installed in parallel - there's a video on YT on how to do that.

(14) How to INSTALL Davinci Resolve 17 WITHOUT losing Davinci Resolve 16!!! - YouTube

Last edited:

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
Have you had any stability issues? I am not very quick to jump to software still in beta.
Well, now it's not beta anymore but I was cautious about jumping to the new version after my problems when I moved from 15 up to 16. To be honest I still had some stability issues with 16 after two years... But after my DR 16 crashed again (for 140 time probably) on the recent project I decided I will update as it can't be worse... So I did and I have to say DR 17 is much much better and stable than 16. Most of my issues are gone. So, don't hesitate guys

Talking about multicam though. That syncing method is brilliant as long as you don't forget to set up the clock in your gopro :D or when you can sync by sound... which is not the case on the motorcycle anyway

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Well, now it's not beta anymore but I was cautious about jumping to the new version after my problems when I moved from 15 up to 16. To be honest I still had some stability issues with 16 after two years... But after my DR 16 crashed again (for 140 time probably) on the recent project I decided I will update as it can't be worse... So I did and I have to say DR 17 is much much better and stable than 16. Most of my issues are gone. So, don't hesitate guys

Talking about multicam though. That syncing method is brilliant as long as you don't forget to set up the clock in your gopro :D or when you can sync by sound... which is not the case on the motorcycle anyway

I agree, DR17 is more stable than DR16, and the DR17.1 is even more stable.

For an update, I bought the Studio license of Resolve and there's one feature that alone makes the purchase worth it: hardware-accelerated rendering. When I'm rendering, my CPU is at 25-50% and my GPU is at 30-60%. I found that DR was maxing out my CPU and GPU and rendering at upwards of 180fps, but I use a VST audio plugin [Alex Audio Butler] which does not play well with those render speeds. I throttled the speed to 50fps and the computer is much happier and the final audio quality is much better.

As for syncing, I am now in the routine of starting recording on both GoPros, clapping 5 times, and then getting my engine warmed up and the rest of my gear on. This gives me 2 minutes to ensure the Hero 9 hasn't frozen [which it does occasionally, ruining the recording], the bike is ready to go, and I am ready to go. Every time I start recording, I do this, and record my whole ride. In Resolve, I just set In points on the first two files of each portion of the ride, create the multicam, and then add the rest of the files for that part of the ride, and I'm good.

I recently had 2.5 hours of footage to cull through, and it took MAYBE 15 minutes to rename all the files [for easy recognition in DR] and create the multicam clips in Resolve.

-John

Reactions: UncleL

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I still need to upgrade my DaVinci 16 to 17. Part of me is afraid to, its working perfectly for me now! :oops:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Drakhen99 Editing Talk 0

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts