California Lanesplitting/Filtering

Redbeardsv

Wannabie Member
Sep 26, 2016
Portland, Oregon
I ride a
2005 sv650s
Not legal in oregon either but i see it happen pretty often. I almost got rear ended one day. I saw it coming and pulled into the shoulder next to the car in front of me, and that car had his window down. He started to yell at me until he saw the smoke from the guy behind me locking up his front tires.
I have only split lanes in really bad traffic. And ive never had a big issue with it. Except some jealous people.

ZBrazil

Clutch Fiction ambassador
Oct 7, 2016
Los Angeles
I ride a
Ducati
it's actually a misconception that lane-splitting was always legal in california. it wasn't legal or illegal, rather it fell in this gray area where if you didn't ride in between cars like a jerkoff the cops would let you do it reasonably. the lane-splitting law was only officially passed in California this summer.

Reactions: iro

iro

braaaaaaap!
Oct 2, 2016
West Coast
I ride a
Yamaha R6
it's actually a misconception that lane-splitting was always legal in california. it wasn't legal or illegal, rather it fell in this gray area where if you didn't ride in between cars like a jerkoff the cops would let you do it reasonably. the lane-splitting law was only officially passed in California this summer.

Thank you! You saved me from having to explain this. I personally miss being able to split lanes. As a California Native, now living in Washington, nothing irks me more than sitting in traffic!

Reactions: ZBrazil

Bonehead76

Wannabie Member
Oct 10, 2016
I ride a
SV650, ATK 605, GSXR 1000,
Lane splitting is nice. I live in Cali so I can do it legally. But there is a certain amount of danger in it. As I split lanes I do it at a safe speed and as I come up on cars I rev my bike a bit so people hear me coming. I find that a lot of people move over and give me some room to get by. Love the Cali life. :)

Reactions: LaneSplitr and iro

MotoMisc

Move along, nothing to see here!
Sep 16, 2016
I ride a
Cbr 954, cbr f4 stuntbike, fiddy =)
Lanesplitting is awsome! Many complain about it being bad in high speed, can agree somewhat(IN places where the cars are unaware of that bikes do it 24/7!)
In sweden its legal as long its under around 30km/h or the traffic is jammed :D BUT it's up to each officer(if you get pulled over(IF you stop;)) to give you warning, ticket or routine check IF he/she personally think it was "dangerous" :p

Shelbster

a.k.a. El Shelbster
Nov 9, 2016
San Marcos, Texas
I ride a
2016 Kawasaki Ninja 300
It's really sad that it is not legal in Texas but I understand that the people here are not accustomed to such things and would either react aggressively or defensively, either of which could end disastrously.

whingnut

Squidbilly
Jul 29, 2016
Virginia beach VA
I ride a
2008 KLR 650 modified for TAT
luckily for us since Cali has formally legalized it other states are taking the legislature to allow lane splitting more seriously. given time we will be able to filter and lane split throughout the US.

LaneSplitr

Wannabie Member
Oct 20, 2016
Santa Monica, CA
I ride a
2014 Triumph Bonneville
luckily for us since Cali has formally legalized it other states are taking the legislature to allow lane splitting more seriously. given time we will be able to filter and lane split throughout the US.

That's the dream. Hopefully everyone else catches on soon.

SmokyOwl

Hey dude, your hair is on fire.
Jul 3, 2016
Southern Wisconsin
I ride a
KZ1100 A2 Shaft
That's the dream. Hopefully everyone else catches on soon.

I heard Washington has been considering it, but I think it's going to be a few decades before we see any change. General public drivers just hate it too much, and many people still talk about opening doors on riders and crap like that. And the only real excuse they have right now for acting like that is "it's illegal", because their egos can't handle somebody being able to do something that they are not allowed to do. In order for new laws to pass, usually the public has to be behind it....and right now they're not.

burlyjack

The bearded dude with a cool YouTube
Oct 10, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
I ride a
2004 Honda VTX 1300
Illegal here in Oklahoma and surprisingly doesn't get much support from the biker community here. I wish they would. Like you said, there is a right and wrong way

Reactions: whingnut

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I think it is crazy to not allow it. As long as it is performed with consideration for other road users. So glad we can in the UK

Stank

Stanksbeamen
Apr 2, 2017
USA
I ride a
2017 BMW S1000R
2008 HD Nightster (Sold)
Love splitting, I didn't actually lane split until I had been riding for 2-3 months. It was a hot day and I was only about 5-10 mins from my house but traffic was at a stop. It would of taken me like 30-40 mins if I just sat there. I sat there for a while until another bike came by splitting so I hopped behind him and slowly made my way through. No longer live in Cali and miss lane splitting!

Cherrie

Triumph Street Triple Rider
Mar 12, 2015
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Lane filtering should be LEGAL everywhere!

This is a REAL fear of mine, getting rear ended while waiting at a light. Inattentive drivers who just DON'T see you because naturally when they come up to the light, they expect to stop up to the nxt car in front of them - not a MOTORCYCLE. Lane filtering is different from lane splitting as well - it's just at slow speed (20-15 kms/hr) coming up to a light, increases road capacity and decreases congestion.

ClarkBrent

Wannabie Member
Apr 4, 2017
I ride a
ZX6R
FYI, most CHP moto-officers tend to split/filter the carpool lane during traffic. The only thing you're not "supposed" to do is split into or out of the carpool lane unless there is a dotted lane opening. Once you're in the carpool lane, most probably won't care. DMV had to take down all their handbook advisories and recommendations for lane splitting before the new Cali lane splitting legislature went into effect. So all that pre-2008 DMV stuff isn't really valid anymore if that's where you heard lane splitting the carpool lane wasn't allowed.

MeGustaMoto

Wannabie Member
Jun 26, 2013
I ride a
1995 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
It's really sad that it is not legal in Texas but I understand that the people here are not accustomed to such things and would either react aggressively or defensively, either of which could end disastrously.

Actually!! I haven't been following it closely but did a bit of research. The Bill is being pushed as we speak. So it might actually become legal here in Texas. I haven't had a chance to talk to any police officers here and see how they feel about it (Majoring in criminology) but again its all about discretion.

FiXxXeR

Wannabie Member
Jun 12, 2017
I ride a
Harley
I took a trip from AZ to California last month. I was lane splitting and filtering traffic at lights like a big dog. It's specifically not allowed in Arizona, but I do it anyway. If I get stopped, I believe I can make a case for why I'm doing it even if it's prohibited.

Although, I'd much prefer we just amend the law and make it legal.

RuckinScot

Scooter vlogger
Mar 28, 2018
Okinawa, Japan
I ride a
Honda Ruckus
I live in japa and here it’s legal. It’s pretty much expected lol. You’re gonna get ran over if you don’t. Plus traffic is at a dead stop. I can literally turn an hour ride into 25 minutes. Speed limits are low though. So highest through city you’ll find is 60kph.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts