Avoidable? How can we predict and avoid thse type of hits from behind.

oneblackdo

Wannabie Member
Apr 9, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
I ride a
2008 KLR650
Wow, so lucky to be able to walk away. I, like most of us, know some-one who didn't.

I don't like thinking of crashes as "unavoidable" - it's a challenge to beat the odds, but, in this case...

More time looking in the mirrors??? It would have let you see the 4wd coming so you could monitor it's slowing, but you do need to look where you are going...

Be to the left side so the stop line runner could crash through but miss you...

How visible are you? As we often forget that non-riders aren't looking for bikes, so they don't see bikes.

Tuff call. Glad you're ok and your Mum has forgiven you.

Reactions: Riderguide

oneblackdo

Wannabie Member
Apr 9, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
I ride a
2008 KLR650
Wow, so lucky to be able to walk away. I, like most of us, know some-one who didn't.

I don't like thinking of crashes as "unavoidable" - it's a challenge to beat the odds, but, in this case...

More time looking in the mirrors??? It would have let you see the 4wd coming so you could monitor it's slowing, but you do need to look where you are going...

Be to the left side so the stop line runner could crash through but miss you...

How visible are you? As we often forget that non-riders aren't looking for bikes, so they don't see bikes.

Tuff call. Glad you're ok and your Mum has forgiven you.

I had another look at your vid - the 4wd was there behind you the whole time - waiting in line, so didn't not see you as it was approaching the stop sign.

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
I had another look at your vid - the 4wd was there behind you the whole time - waiting in line, so didn't not see you as it was approaching the stop sign.
Yeh - he had no excuse other than just being a typical distracted driver, which he admitted!!! He paid up via his insurance and I'm back on the road, realistically there was nothing I could have or would do differently even now at that junction, just shows how vulnerable we are despite doing the right thing. In the UK, I could have followed the white Corolla out as I would have been classed as stopped at the stop sign being one vehicle behind a car that did stop. However here in South Australia each vehicle has to come to a complete stop and because of that rule, I got shunted across the main road. Luckily nothing coming from my side. I ride on :)

Mutant

Wannabie Member
Apr 22, 2019
I ride a
K 4 GSX-R 1000
Actually in South Australia we only got legalised lane splitting two years ago. To be fair however, I did sometimes do it prior to then for the exact reasons you're saying @MotoNordic .... I've revisited the collision in my head a few times since Sunday and you're right, not a great deal I could do other than what you correctly point out and that's adjust my position differently in future to reduce the risk even further. To the far right or far left of a lane like this at a stop/give way is a GREAT idea mate, depending on the circumstances. This also would give a rider a better chance of a decent look over the shoulder before moving out. Thankfully no serious injury, only a sore neck this morning and a sore thumb. Thanks for the input and the time you put in replying :)

Hello fellow South Aussie.
Thank god Australia in general got with the times and allowed lane splitting in general.

• Love

Undead MV

If there is light, there shall be dark
Oct 9, 2017
Mexico City
I ride a
Bajaj Avenger Street 220
What i've learned is not to be behind a car (in the center) but aside as if you always want to filter, especially when the night comes down.

Subbed anyway

VetDadon2

Wannabie Member
May 31, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z900
I love your attitude through the whole thing. That sir took lots of self control. I am glad you are ok!

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts