Audio Perfectionist (NEED HELP/INPUT!!!)

Revsanity

Wannabie Member
Oct 21, 2020
Pensacola, FL
I ride a
2015 Harley Breakout
Hey guys! So after 3 years I decided to get back into motovlogging (shameless plug "Revsanity" on YT). Before I was using a Hero 3+ but sold all my gear. Fast forward to now, I am using a 7 black with a mic adapter. Being a perfectionist and working some with music, I wanted to get the best audio possible through my helmet (Shoei RF SR). I watched chaseontwowheels do a video about 2 months ago and decided to pull the trigger on a Tascam DR-10L bc his audio is incredible. He's also using a $300 mic so I'm sure that's attributing to a good part of it. Anybody have experience or suggestions with the Tascam?

I am riding a HD Breakout with a stage 2 (so loud pipes) and I have no windshield. Currently I'm experiencing some clipping with a Giant Squid mic (saw BLOCKHEAD using one) when the wind starts picking up around 60+ mph. I've used Purple Panda and they're great but seem too hot. I'm hoping the mic gain adjustment from the Tascam will help with that, but I need some feedback!!

Note: Mic is placed on left side of the cheekpad, with the mic facing about 45 degrees up towards my mouth, with a deadcat on it

Preciate it!

tl;dr I bought a Tascam bc I'm tired of my mic clipping and need feedback on their products/quality

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I use a Tascam DR-05 on trackdays to mic up my helmet, I use a cheap as chips mic, and just set the gain on the Tascam. Best thing to do is just test it, if it is clipping then the gain is too high on the Tascam, or your voice is too loud for the microphone in that location. I use cheep mics as they generally are less sensitive, so having it so close to my mouth is less of an issue.

Revsanity

Wannabie Member
Oct 21, 2020
Pensacola, FL
I ride a
2015 Harley Breakout
I use a Tascam DR-05 on trackdays to mic up my helmet, I use a cheap as chips mic, and just set the gain on the Tascam. Best thing to do is just test it, if it is clipping then the gain is too high on the Tascam, or your voice is too loud for the microphone in that location. I use cheep mics as they generally are less sensitive, so having it so close to my mouth is less of an issue.

yea I'm going to try some tests today. I tried a short test with the auto volume but that was pretty bad on my wife's iron 883. I really wonder if not having a windshield is going to be a factor though...

Reactions: HippoDrone

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Unfortunately can't help with your issues re clipping. Like @HippoDrone i use cheap mics, although my reasoning is more because I'm a proud and traditional Scot.

• Haha
Reactions: R-Rated and Theodor

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I have used a tascam and a sony digiral recorder in the past, but now I am using an app called Voice Record on my iPhone with a powered lav mic. I have found the app on my phone works great with the settings the app allows me to control. The gain on that app has a huge range. Plus I always carry my phone, but don't really enjoy carrying more gadgets but Tascams are great as well though if you don't mind carrying extra stuff. I also record audio into my gopro hero 5 using the adapter and cheapo flexy PC mic so that I have options for editing. Options don't always equate to the best audio though as it seems inevitable in my experience that loud motorcycles (2 of my bikes are loud Harleys), road noise, environment, and control of your voice can cause issues that you only find when getting into editing.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
yea I'm going to try some tests today. I tried a short test with the auto volume but that was pretty bad on my wife's iron 883. I really wonder if not having a windshield is going to be a factor though...
I have a naked bike, tbh, you should get better audio not worse as you'll have clean air rather than turbulent air from behind a fairing! :)

Ponkster

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2020
I ride a
VN 1500 rat sidecar rig and a Yamaha FZS/R1/R6/ other hybrid rat bike called "Rattus"
OK techy nerds , I have a question about audio - what level MP3 do you record at ? ie how many kbs do you record your audio at in MP3 or do you record raw WAV audio and convert to MP3 when you import in to you editing project ?

I am changing back to recording separate audio and am stopping using the incamera sound , this way if I loose footage on the camera that caputes my voice the who thing is not stafu . I am using a zoom H2n recorder and a rode lave mic

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
On my trackdays, I use an audio recorder. I just set it all to the max my editor allows, thn 48,000 and 256 iirc

Reactions: Ponkster

Revsanity

Wannabie Member
Oct 21, 2020
Pensacola, FL
I ride a
2015 Harley Breakout
update....can majorly vouch for the DR-10L. Wow....finally got it dialed in. The mic gain settings are clutch and the fact you can dual record at a lower gain is nice. Now I just have to focus on talking quieter bc I'm peaking it at highway speeds. I'll post the video when I upload it. I have 3 mics in my helmet, one for the sena, one for talking in the vlog and one set up next to my speaker for picking up sena conversations. highly recommend it

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
update....can majorly vouch for the DR-10L. Wow....finally got it dialed in. The mic gain settings are clutch and the fact you can dual record at a lower gain is nice. Now I just have to focus on talking quieter bc I'm peaking it at highway speeds. I'll post the video when I upload it. I have 3 mics in my helmet, one for the sena, one for talking in the vlog and one set up next to my speaker for picking up sena conversations. highly recommend it
Mounting one next to the speaker is my next move as pricing together two conversations when the cameras are out of sync is a nightmare.

Reactions: Revsanity

Revsanity

Wannabie Member
Oct 21, 2020
Pensacola, FL
I ride a
2015 Harley Breakout
Mounting one next to the speaker is my next move as pricing together two conversations when the cameras are out of sync is a nightmare.

It’s honestly a game changer! And in Adobe premiere you can duplicate the audio and turn down the audio from the mic by the speaker if it’s too loud

Reactions: HRMV

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Iny
It’s honestly a game changer! And in Adobe premiere you can duplicate the audio and turn down the audio from the mic by the speaker if it’s too loud
Interesting, never thought of that.

Now to work out a device to record to that won't break the bank. Budget is limited to say the least.

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Ideally want a device that I don't need to plug into everytime I get on or off the bike, so ideally something slimline (waterproof) that I could mount to side or back of lid would be ideal.

Revsanity

Wannabie Member
Oct 21, 2020
Pensacola, FL
I ride a
2015 Harley Breakout
Iny

Interesting, never thought of that.

Now to work out a device to record to that won't break the bank. Budget is limited to say the least.

this is the splitter I use that goes into the Tascam

UGREEN Headphone Splitter, 3.5mm Audio Stereo Y Splitter Extension Cable Male to Female Dual Headphone Jack Adapter for Earphone, Headset Compatible with iPhone, Samsung, Tablet, Laptop (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LM0ZGK6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7LGNFbMYWS33H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Then from the splitter I have 2 purple panda mics. If you go with purple panda you have to use the mic adapter. All in you’re looking about $80 USD for 2 mics and the splitter.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Ideally want a device that I don't need to plug into everytime I get on or off the bike, so ideally something slimline (waterproof) that I could mount to side or back of lid would be ideal.
Could you not put it straight into your camera, and then separate the audio in post to adjust the levels etc? No point adding extra tech if what you already have can do it?

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I know I'm running a half helmet and y'all are using full face jobs, but I use a Purple Panda with the fuzzy dead cat on it, clipped to my t-shirt under my riding jacket... and I don't notice any clipping or pops. I also have horrible hearing, and soften the blow by adding a music background track to most of my videos, which probably helps (unintentional result of copying what other YTers are doing).

I have to talk rather loudly, and wind noise creeps in at highway speeds, but anything under 50mph and you can hear me and my bike and very little wind noise (on a 2019 Street Glide). If I ride my non-faired bikes, the top speed for recording is about 40mph, and you hear a lot of the bike and more wind noise.

I'm also using a GoPro Hero 8 with Media Mod on it for a mic adapter.

-John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SweetTripl Camera Setups 27