ATGATT for Passenger or not?

RiderInRed

The guy who rides in red
Jun 2, 2016
Armenia
www.vms-studio.com
I ride a
MV Agusta F3, Yamaha R1
So I've done a few videos of where I ride with a passenger. This girl digs riding but she doesn't ATGATT. I've gotetn a few comments on the YT, saying I should get her gear and I'm a terrible boyfriend, etc.. Thing is, she's not my girlfriend and I can't force her to buy stuff. I'm ok with her wearing whatever she wants as long as she is happy with it. I always have my spare helmet for her though.

I'm thinking what do you guys think about this? What's your take?

PS. my opinion is, if we ever become a couple or even start dating, may be I would get her a jacket/pants, etc. but as long as we're not together, I feel like I shouldn't be blamed for their choices/preferences.

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
rideontwo.net
I ride a
BMW F750GS
An adult is capable of making there own choices, be they right/wrong, sensible /silly. So if she is happy and is aware of the risks then her choice. Now if it was a minor, then you'd have a responsibility and duty of care for them.
Agreed!

If she is riding like once in a while probably not worth her getting gear. If the rides are regular like once a week or more frequent you should try to explain why it is a good idea to wear something. Even if it is a cheap hand me down leather jacket it is better than nothing.

My Wife wears gear or I won't take her. My choice, My bike, wear it or stay home.

Reactions: RiderInRed

RiderInRed

The guy who rides in red
Jun 2, 2016
Armenia
www.vms-studio.com
I ride a
MV Agusta F3, Yamaha R1
I absolutely agree with you guys. While I know the bike is mine and I can impose any rules/conditions before I take them aboard, I still think it's their final choice, if they want to atgatt or not. I'm fine with whatever, as long as they wear a helmet. But again since they are not my girlfriend or what have you, I feel like it's really out of my responsibility to control what she does.

ThrttlGrub

ThrottleGrub.com
Jul 18, 2019
throttlegrub.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R1
2015 Harley-Davidson Street XG750
2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650
I absolutely agree with you guys. While I know the bike is mine and I can impose any rules/conditions before I take them aboard, I still think it's their final choice, if they want to atgatt or not. I'm fine with whatever, as long as they wear a helmet. But again since they are not my girlfriend or what have you, I feel like it's really out of my responsibility to control what she does.
At the end of the day, do what makes you most comfortable. If a helmet is all you need on her to make you content, that's the right answer.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
If they won't wear a helmet (more than a brain bucket) or good shoes or boots (no sandals, heels or flip-flops) they can't ride on my bike. Period. I ride with the idea that the passenger is my responsibility.

I see a lot of riders without helmets or gear, riding with passengers wearing the same. I wonder how that kind of rider would explain to the passenger's family or loved ones why they didn't do everything they could to protect their passenger's safety in the event of a crash.

Adult decisions are one thing, but for me that applies if a person is riding their own bike. A passenger on my bike is my responsibility, so they ride by my rules. No exceptions.

- Wolf

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
For me, I usualy wear gear 95% of the time so if my passenger isn't wearing gear, im not taking them at all. But, if im not wearing gear (which is rare) then I don't mind taking them along.

I don't mind taking a passenger around the neighborhood or empty parking lot.

Better safe than sorry

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonwolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster & Suzuki Savage
I am of the mind that long pants and close toed shoes are minimum for being an adult passanger with me. I will always offer a helmet even if it is mine for them to wear. People have to make their own choices.

Another option to deal with backlash is don't mention or show your passanger in your vlogs, insta or other social networks.

RiderInRed

The guy who rides in red
Jun 2, 2016
Armenia
www.vms-studio.com
I ride a
MV Agusta F3, Yamaha R1
I am of the mind that long pants and close toed shoes are minimum for being an adult passanger with me. I will always offer a helmet even if it is mine for them to wear. People have to make their own choices.

Another option to deal with backlash is don't mention or show your passanger in your vlogs, insta or other social networks.
I mean, I don't mind the backlash. I only got this one guy commenting on all the videos with a passenger in it haha.

But yeah negative attention is still attention haha :D