ATGATT for Passenger or not?

RiderInRed

The guy who rides in red
Jun 2, 2016
Armenia
www.vms-studio.com
I ride a
MV Agusta F3, Yamaha R1
So I've done a few videos of where I ride with a passenger. This girl digs riding but she doesn't ATGATT. I've gotetn a few comments on the YT, saying I should get her gear and I'm a terrible boyfriend, etc.. Thing is, she's not my girlfriend and I can't force her to buy stuff. I'm ok with her wearing whatever she wants as long as she is happy with it. I always have my spare helmet for her though.

I'm thinking what do you guys think about this? What's your take?

PS. my opinion is, if we ever become a couple or even start dating, may be I would get her a jacket/pants, etc. but as long as we're not together, I feel like I shouldn't be blamed for their choices/preferences.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
An adult is capable of making there own choices, be they right/wrong, sensible /silly. So if she is happy and is aware of the risks then her choice. Now if it was a minor, then you'd have a responsibility and duty of care for them.

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
An adult is capable of making there own choices, be they right/wrong, sensible /silly. So if she is happy and is aware of the risks then her choice. Now if it was a minor, then you'd have a responsibility and duty of care for them.
Agreed!

If she is riding like once in a while probably not worth her getting gear. If the rides are regular like once a week or more frequent you should try to explain why it is a good idea to wear something. Even if it is a cheap hand me down leather jacket it is better than nothing.

My Wife wears gear or I won't take her. My choice, My bike, wear it or stay home.

Reactions: RiderInRed

RiderInRed

The guy who rides in red
Jun 2, 2016
Armenia
www.vms-studio.com
I ride a
MV Agusta F3, Yamaha R1
I absolutely agree with you guys. While I know the bike is mine and I can impose any rules/conditions before I take them aboard, I still think it's their final choice, if they want to atgatt or not. I'm fine with whatever, as long as they wear a helmet. But again since they are not my girlfriend or what have you, I feel like it's really out of my responsibility to control what she does.

ThrttlGrub

ThrottleGrub.com
Jul 18, 2019
throttlegrub.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R1
2015 Harley-Davidson Street XG750
2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650
I absolutely agree with you guys. While I know the bike is mine and I can impose any rules/conditions before I take them aboard, I still think it's their final choice, if they want to atgatt or not. I'm fine with whatever, as long as they wear a helmet. But again since they are not my girlfriend or what have you, I feel like it's really out of my responsibility to control what she does.
At the end of the day, do what makes you most comfortable. If a helmet is all you need on her to make you content, that's the right answer.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
If they won't wear a helmet (more than a brain bucket) or good shoes or boots (no sandals, heels or flip-flops) they can't ride on my bike. Period. I ride with the idea that the passenger is my responsibility.

I see a lot of riders without helmets or gear, riding with passengers wearing the same. I wonder how that kind of rider would explain to the passenger's family or loved ones why they didn't do everything they could to protect their passenger's safety in the event of a crash.

Adult decisions are one thing, but for me that applies if a person is riding their own bike. A passenger on my bike is my responsibility, so they ride by my rules. No exceptions.

- Wolf

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
For me, I usualy wear gear 95% of the time so if my passenger isn't wearing gear, im not taking them at all. But, if im not wearing gear (which is rare) then I don't mind taking them along.

I don't mind taking a passenger around the neighborhood or empty parking lot.

Better safe than sorry

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I am of the mind that long pants and close toed shoes are minimum for being an adult passanger with me. I will always offer a helmet even if it is mine for them to wear. People have to make their own choices.

Another option to deal with backlash is don't mention or show your passanger in your vlogs, insta or other social networks.

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
Personally I do ATGATT. I don't carry any pillys since it would have be £300 extra on the insurance. As you said it's your bike so it's your rules. As long as your cool with it and they accept the risks then just go with. Had it been minor then it's a different ball game

RiderInRed

The guy who rides in red
Jun 2, 2016
Armenia
www.vms-studio.com
I ride a
MV Agusta F3, Yamaha R1
I am of the mind that long pants and close toed shoes are minimum for being an adult passanger with me. I will always offer a helmet even if it is mine for them to wear. People have to make their own choices.

Another option to deal with backlash is don't mention or show your passanger in your vlogs, insta or other social networks.
I mean, I don't mind the backlash. I only got this one guy commenting on all the videos with a passenger in it haha.

But yeah negative attention is still attention haha :D

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
First of all, I think it is good that you are thinking of the subject. Just make sure she knows what the gear is for and what can be the impacts of crashing (with or without the gear, there will always be impacts).
I do not have a spare (lender) helmet just because I know how a helmet works and how useless it is, when it is not properly fitted. When someone asks to ride with me, I usually ask about previous experience, if necessary go helmet shopping with him\her. I do not demand rest of the gear, for passengers for just one or few rides, because you also need to weigh the financial impact and practicality. Over here helmet is also the only mandatory safety equipment. In some countries also motorcycling safety gloves and boots are mandatory.

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
I have never understood why people feel the need to comment on what other people are wearing or not wearing.

The thing is I'm sure there are many inferior helmets out there but you never see a comment about that. Its just something easy for people to jump on.

whingnut

Squidbilly
Jul 29, 2016
Virginia beach VA
I ride a
2008 KLR 650 modified for TAT
personally i require full gear to ride on my bike with me. how ever i only have one pillion and she has full gear. i will not let ppl ride with me without full gear. but that's me.

if ppl are cool without wearing gear or their pillion who is an adult i have no issue with it. the comments section is like a garage dump for some ppl.
They drag around their own personal garbage and arrive at your videos to dump it out. its just how ppl are with social media and the internet. just because they don't like it.

goes back to the saying "getting mad at something you found on the internet like like looking for dog shit and then stepping in it"

• Haha
Reactions: HippoDrone

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I'm not an ATGATT rider but I'm close to one. My girlfriend however is nowhere near. She often doesn't even want to wear a helmet but I usually make her. She prefers to ride in sandals or slip on shoes and thin above the ankle jeans while wearing sleevless shirts so she can "get some sun". Sometimes I make her wear more appropriate clothing and she gets upset, but I just can't convince her that accidents can happen even if I make no mistakes while riding and she should be prepared for them. In her mind it's such a small probability that it's not worth giving up her "freedom" to dress how she wants.

Really ticks me off sometimes.

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
I'm 99% an all the gear guy. I make any passenger wear at least a helmet and jacket, if I am going to take the responsibility of having someone else on my motorcycle, I want to feel OK about it. I've given rides more than once, and I have taken my jacket off for the pillion to wear. If I mess it up, I would rather get hurt myself than have someone on the back get hurt.

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
YES!!!! You both are on the bike, you both need to be wearing gear. There is nothing else to protect you on the bike accept what you are wearing. So ATGATT for all!

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts