ATGATT for Passenger or not?

Ponkster

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2020
I ride a
VN 1500 rat sidecar rig and a Yamaha FZS/R1/R6/ other hybrid rat bike called "Rattus"
I like my pillions to have basic protective gear on - a lid jacket and gloves, if I have to explain why they aint bright enough to be on the back .

Im not 100% ATGATT but like most UK riders you wont see me riding with shirt sleves shorts and trainers no matter how warm it is - Im quite attached to my skin (see what I did there?)!

• Haha
Reactions: YBGuy

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
I'm afraid I am quite old school when it comes to this and am very much a ATGATT kinda guy.

I get the comments re adults can make there own choices, but they are in your hands when on your bike so I insist on proper kit. That being said the only thing I would allow to slide on the kit side would be actual moto boots, they are expensive and for a once off not worth it... A jacket will generally fit more than one person so you as the bike owner take on that financial burden, as will gloves but boots don't really work that way.

It only takes a split second for shit to go wrong and do you want to have that regret of "I wish I had made her wear proper gloves or a back protector"

Ponkster

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2020
I ride a
VN 1500 rat sidecar rig and a Yamaha FZS/R1/R6/ other hybrid rat bike called "Rattus"
I'm afraid I am quite old school when it comes to this and am very much a ATGATT kinda guy.

I get the comments re adults can make there own choices, but they are in your hands when on your bike so I insist on proper kit. That being said the only thing I would allow to slide on the kit side would be actual moto boots, they are expensive and for a once off not worth it... A jacket will generally fit more than one person so you as the bike owner take on that financial burden, as will gloves but boots don't really work that way.

It only takes a split second for shit to go wrong and do you want to have that regret of "I wish I had made her wear proper gloves or a back protector"
Im the same - I dont have a pillion very often and its usually a loved one or someone I trust - if they are my responsabillity then PPE is what I require them to wear - my bike , my licence , my choice !

Reactions: HRMV

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Im the same - I dont have a pillion very often and its usually a loved one or someone I trust - if they are my responsabillity then PPE is what I require them to wear - my bike , my licence , my choice !
Exactly.

I'm the same in the car... You don't want to wear a seat belt... Enjoy the walk son.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Exactly.

I'm the same in the car... You don't want to wear a seat belt... Enjoy the walk son.
Not really the same. People who do not wear seatbelt in the car, become the largest killing factor of other people in the car, in case of the accident. Not wearing gear on the bike does not make the passenger more dangerous for you, in case of an accident. You can't really compare the two.

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
I'm a gear is a must kinda guy. At minimum, jacket, gloves, helmet, heavy jeans, and some proper boots. I'm not big on having passengers, but I make exceptions for my kids and my little sister. I actually just took my sis gear shopping so she can ride with me this year. We're also enrolling her in the MSF, and hopefully she'll be on her own either late this year or next season.

Reactions: HippoDrone

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
I'm ATGATT for me and pillions, but now I've been with my missus for.. YEARS... and she no longer comes on the bike with me - I haven't had a pillion passenger for a long time.

If I found a gorgeous younger nympho who thinks an older man who snores an farts is what she wants - I may make an exception. :cool:

SweetTripl

Sweet Triple
Mar 23, 2021
United Kingdom
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple R
It sounds to me like you might be in the market to make this girl your girlfriend/significant other at some point ;)! IMO I like my women to have all their extremities intact and you never know, investing in some gear for her might be a nice way to show her that you're keen to step things up a gear.... (see what I did there!). You can get some super cheap but functional protective gear on ebay/amazon etc I kitted my Girlfriend out with Helmet, Gloves, Jacket and Jeans for around £200. Most of this budget was spent on helmet (£100 HJC C70). I always make sure she wears the gear I bought her and Timberland boots when she comes for a ride as this will add some extra foot protection. Just my two pence worth!

Reactions: LandyVlad

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Underage, absolutely, otherwise it will be a no.

Adult, you do you, your own responsibility.
You are an adult, you should be smart enough to take care of yourself.

In real life, this means that almost all people that have sat passenger had practically all gear on.
(exemption of good safe pants once or twice when we went to cinema)

Reactions: SweetTripl

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
I ain't an ATTGATT avid supporter, but I agree that safety gear is important and should be worn.

For your situation, I agree also, I will not spend my money on the passenger's safety gear if that passenger is not closely related to me. As long as the pillion understands the risks involved, and takes the advise to at least wear proper jeans (not those torn/hole BS) and wears something to cover the arms, as well as shoes, I don't mind lending the helmet and glove.

End of the day if anything unfortunate happens, after all the pillion is on your bike and you are ultimately responsible for that person as they have no control on how you handle your bike. So the best would be they are at least covered up even though not proper safety gear.

SweetTripl

Sweet Triple
Mar 23, 2021
United Kingdom
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple R
Underage, absolutely, otherwise it will be a no.

Adult, you do you, your own responsibility.
You are an adult, you should be smart enough to take care of yourself.

In real life, this means that almost all people that have sat passenger had practically all gear on.
(exemption of good safe pants once or twice when we went to cinema)
I guess it also depends totally on where you're going. If it's just a nip into town mostly below or at 30mph then yeah use common sense. I've gone faster than 30mph on my push bike in nothing more than a pair of shorts and tshirt so yeah horses for courses.

Reactions: Meifesto

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I guess it also depends totally on where you're going. If it's just a nip into town mostly below or at 30mph then yeah use common sense. I've gone faster than 30mph on my push bike in nothing more than a pair of shorts and tshirt so yeah horses for courses.

Oh yeah, with highway use, or high speeds rides, do use all the gear
Never have been in that situation before though xD

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
My Dad wants me to take him on a ride on my bike. He's never been on one and doesn't have any gear.

I'd love to do it but... he's 80 years old....
My old man is 80 this year and still rides! :)

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts