2nd camera to mount on bike: suggestions?

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Well I did some testing with my Hero 8 mounted on the handlebars using some temporary rigging just to get a feel for the camera position to see how I like it, and then I toyed around with other 2nd camera positions, and yeah I've decided to get a second camera for motovlogging.

It's nigh impossible to find a Hero 5 Session anymore though, even the used ones seem to go for more than a new Hero 7 does. I considered getting another Hero 8 but that seems like overkill for a handlebar cam. I found a great deal on a used Hero 7 Black so that's what I'm getting. I have the mounting hardware on order now, looking forward to playing around with more in depth video editing!

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
Good looks, Mengy. Curious where you end up mounting it. If you've seen any of my videos you'll see that I've tried it directly in front near the windshield, up and out to the left, and most lately far left above my left grip. So far wide view seems to do the trick over superview. Guessing your bike will allow you to mount it a bit higher so it's not looking "up" at you, which is good.

Reactions: HippoDrone

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I just got a second camera and I’m considering getting a brake reservoir ram mount. The camera will move with my handle bars, so I’d like to do some test. My other option is to use suction cup mount on the front paneling, but that can be cumbersome with a risk of falling off given different weather conditions.

-Wolf

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Good looks, Mengy. Curious where you end up mounting it.
I've only used the spare parts from my $20 Amazon GoPro accessory kit so far to test out various positions. It's worked as testing mounts but nothing I'd ever use full time. I have a velcro wrist strap I wrapped around the left mirror strut, it was too far away from me and too much of the bike dash obscurred the view. I have a bicycle handlebar clamp I put on the inside of the left grip, that's the position I liked best so far but the clamp doesn't allow any swivel action so the angle was goofy. The clamp also got in the way of my left hand operating the switchgear so that wasn't ideal, but the camera position was pretty close to where I liked it best.

Ciro makes the cup holder I have on the right handlebar which uses a ball mount. I'm buying a 2nd ball mount for the left bar, and I'm going to mount the new camera onto that with a short ball clamp. I think it will work great, at least it will give me a solid out of the way mounting point to experiment from.

For the camera itself I actually preferred superview over wide view. It captured more scenery behind me which was really nice. Honestly I loved the perspective it gave.

Fool Moon

Wannabie Member
Jun 25, 2020
Northridge, California
I ride a
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT
With RAM mounts, how many and where can be several, depending on your bike. I have a cruiser, so i have put, and moved, ball mounts most places i can get one to fit. having a couple 1-1/2" C-clamp balls gives me a lot of angles for b-shots (wheels spinning, fenders, backwards). I've use the large clamp previously as well as suction cup, but no anymore.
The expensive part is getting more cameras, not how many mounts. IMO.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
LandyVlad Camera Setups 11

Top Posters Past 30 days

Winners Video

Latest posts