2nd camera to mount on bike: suggestions?

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Well I did some testing with my Hero 8 mounted on the handlebars using some temporary rigging just to get a feel for the camera position to see how I like it, and then I toyed around with other 2nd camera positions, and yeah I've decided to get a second camera for motovlogging.

It's nigh impossible to find a Hero 5 Session anymore though, even the used ones seem to go for more than a new Hero 7 does. I considered getting another Hero 8 but that seems like overkill for a handlebar cam. I found a great deal on a used Hero 7 Black so that's what I'm getting. I have the mounting hardware on order now, looking forward to playing around with more in depth video editing!

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
Good looks, Mengy. Curious where you end up mounting it. If you've seen any of my videos you'll see that I've tried it directly in front near the windshield, up and out to the left, and most lately far left above my left grip. So far wide view seems to do the trick over superview. Guessing your bike will allow you to mount it a bit higher so it's not looking "up" at you, which is good.

Reactions: HippoDrone

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I just got a second camera and I’m considering getting a brake reservoir ram mount. The camera will move with my handle bars, so I’d like to do some test. My other option is to use suction cup mount on the front paneling, but that can be cumbersome with a risk of falling off given different weather conditions.

-Wolf

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
Good looks, Mengy. Curious where you end up mounting it.

I've only used the spare parts from my $20 Amazon GoPro accessory kit so far to test out various positions. It's worked as testing mounts but nothing I'd ever use full time. I have a velcro wrist strap I wrapped around the left mirror strut, it was too far away from me and too much of the bike dash obscurred the view. I have a bicycle handlebar clamp I put on the inside of the left grip, that's the position I liked best so far but the clamp doesn't allow any swivel action so the angle was goofy. The clamp also got in the way of my left hand operating the switchgear so that wasn't ideal, but the camera position was pretty close to where I liked it best.

Ciro makes the cup holder I have on the right handlebar which uses a ball mount. I'm buying a 2nd ball mount for the left bar, and I'm going to mount the new camera onto that with a short ball clamp. I think it will work great, at least it will give me a solid out of the way mounting point to experiment from.

For the camera itself I actually preferred superview over wide view. It captured more scenery behind me which was really nice. Honestly I loved the perspective it gave.

Fool Moon

Wannabie Member
Jun 25, 2020
Northridge, California
I ride a
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT
With RAM mounts, how many and where can be several, depending on your bike. I have a cruiser, so i have put, and moved, ball mounts most places i can get one to fit. having a couple 1-1/2" C-clamp balls gives me a lot of angles for b-shots (wheels spinning, fenders, backwards). I've use the large clamp previously as well as suction cup, but no anymore.
The expensive part is getting more cameras, not how many mounts. IMO.

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
I just ordered a hero 7 black because it was on sale; I plan on putting my current hero 3+ on the bike, I just hope that it doesn't look terrible with the vibration. Will report back with results lol
haha well when i get around to it I'll be putting my Hero2 on the bars - it will vibrate. Ought to be good for a laugh if nothing else.

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I have lots of mounting points on the Deauville, good thing about these faired tourers is all the real estate for mounts. Main ones are bars, crash bars, rear topbox and nose cone.​

Madlad

Absolute Madlad
Apr 24, 2020
Canada
I ride a
2014 Yamaha R6
I got a really good angle, but alot of vibration on the Hero3+ or maybe it was just the shite roads here. I'll see what I can do to stabilize it in post. On my next video you can see the results for yourselves and maybe save some money ;)

Reporting in lads. I ended up putting it on the windscreen and it looks good! Mounting it on the mirror however is a different story lol

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
So I've had my Hero 7 for two weeks now and I've filmed a few motovlogs with it, and YEP this was a good buy for $90!

Editing takes more work to sync the two feeds but it actually makes some cuts easier and nicer to manage. Plus I'm LOVING the two view choices during the motovlog, being able to switch back and forth is really very nice! My ten year old PC isn't loving it so much though, it chugs some during editing. I'm planning to build a new PC in the winter but I might do it sooner now.

I have a backlog of motovlogs which I've scheduled for release, right now my first dual cam video will be going live on July 30th. Then a few will sprinkle out during August amongst a couple other videos I've had filmed for some time now.

Looking forward to my first dual cam motovlog going live! I might actually bump it up a bit sooner in my schedule, lol.

TBRD

Throttle Back Rubber Down
Jul 9, 2020
I ride a
2020 BMW S1000XR
Hello all, I run a GoPro Hero 8 Black on my helmet but I'm considering buying 2nd camera to mount to the handlebars looking back at me. I see many other motovloggers doing this two-camera setup today and I have to admit I like it a lot.

My suspicion is I don't need anything as fancy as a Hero 8 for this. I see a lot of people running a Hero 5 Session on the bars and I'm leaning towards this myself. I can get a renewed one on Amazon for $130 which isn't too bad IMHO.

Any suggestions for an affordable fixed handlebar camera?
My wife bought me a Hero 5 Session for my helmet years back. I use it at my 2nd now and have it mounted looking back at me. It works great especially with the available mounts from GoPro.

AndrewF

The Broke Petrol Head
Jul 10, 2020
Cork, Ireland
I ride a
2007 Suzuki V-Strom dl650
Im very very very new to this but I have been getting a second ( rider head shot ) by setting my p20 phone to the camera you use on a video call, my phone is attached to a gps bar from cosmo above the clocks on my Vstrom using a Quad Lock handlebar mount. You do have to synch multiple video and audio tracks but easy enough done in filmora 9 by using a long beep of the bikes horn as a spike in audio marker.. Sorry too new to share links but you can find some videos on my YouTube Channel "Andrew Fanning" soon to be rebranded as "broke Petrol Head"

R6 Monkey

Wannabie Member
Sep 1, 2020
Scotland
www.r6monkey.co.uk
I ride a
Yamaha R6
I still use the hero 4 silver as my main helmet cam and have the original session for bike mount it has been a great little cam and even after having to replace the lense thanks to a rogue stone hitting it when forward facing mounted it was a cheap fix and still works great, I also have the GoPro fusion 360 cam which I also mount on the bike sometimes but for an everyday cheap second cam I can’t fault the session

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
You guys with faired and windscreen bikes are at a big advantage when it comes to mounting options for cameras AND reduced wind noise to be picked up.
(moto mengy that's clear in your videos for example)

My naked bike poses a lot of challenges in that way.

On the other hand my bike is cool and yours isn't :p :D :cool:

• Haha

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
You guys with faired and windscreen bikes are at a big advantage when it comes to mounting options for cameras AND reduced wind noise to be picked up.
(moto mengy that's clear in your videos for example)

Yep my windshield helps a TON with wind noise reduction . Every now and then I'll stand on the pegs to stretch my legs while filming and there is always much more wind noise when I get the camera above the windshield.

If I was on a naked bike or something without a windshield I'd likely need to go full face helmet and put the mic inside it like most motovloggers do.

Reactions: Pooley

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Thanks for the tip Mengy! SuperView sounds like a good idea for my Hero 8 on the handlebars.

FWIW, I recently got a Hero 9 and I put that on my helmet and then used the Jaws clamp mount to put the 8 on my bars. I can't fit something like a Large Bar Mount (which I have and tried) on the handlebars. The smaller mount by GoPro is too small, the Large one is too big and would pinch wires, but the Jaws clamp fits right in, doesn't pinch anything, and then has the gooseneck on it to get the 8 positioned well. I think the footage looks good, but I need to change to SuperView for an even better rider-view angle!

The Jaws clamp does occasionally move a bit, so I may try reversing it to put the weight where it won't rotate, but generally it's really nice, and the 8 does a great job at stabilization (in one of my early tests I put the Jaws mount right on my left grip... it was only mildly distracting and dangerous LOL - I only left it on for 5-10 mins).

I also used a RickRak 360 mount and put the small bar mount on one of its positioning screws and then mounted the gopro on the gooseneck on that... that was interesting. With my mic cord dangling, once I hit 35mph or so it was flapping in the wind and wildly distracting. I literally pulled over like 2 minutes later and took it all down.

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts