YouTube tag patterns on some large motovlog channels

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
So I've been looking at how some large motovlog channels tag their videos, people with decently high six figure subs who get lots of views on each of their vids. I've noticed quite a lot of them use tags which have absolutely nothing to do with thier vids or content. Tags like:

minecraft
pewdiepie
hd (on channels with nothing to do with Harley)
lots of popular bike models
beyonce
drake
girl
cute
frozen

I can see it's fairly common, but is it allowed and okay? My instinct is to keep tags relevant and on topic, but then my channel is growing very slowly too so maybe my policy of integrity is the wrong way to go?

Anyone else tag like this, or have any information on the issue?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I'd personally always go with relevant tags.... I'd definitely suggest avoiding tags the suggest the video is aimed at kids eg Frozen.

In the past when I have made a video that might appeal to a type of biker, I have tagged the types of bikes those folk are likely to own... but I think it best to be less tenuous with tags :) a view for a couple of seconds to me if worthless, I'd rather have less views and longer retention any day of the week! :)

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
I suppose they want to come up in the list of children who will likely miss click or click on a random video or whatever maybe? Every click is a few cents to them...

Reactions: HippoDrone

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
hd might just be a tag for video quality.

Pewdiepie sounds fun, but won't get you up visible anywhere i'm assuming xD
Most of those tags are a try to get in the recommended list next to a video.
But someone who is benching on minecraft etc, won't be clicking on a motorcycle vid.
Only real profit might be when people have the Autoplay function turned on... Maybe...

i would stick with relevant tags mainly, to be honest.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Yep. I wonder if big channels which bring Youtube good amounts of revenue get "passes" so to speak, like may YT looks the other way as long as money is being made?
There have been so many cases where large channels have been given a pass on the Ts&Cs

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Yep. I wonder if big channels which bring Youtube good amounts of revenue get "passes" so to speak, like may YT looks the other way as long as money is being made?
They definitely do, especially the largest channels. A recent example is the Logan Paul forest thing, "slap on the wrist" is an over exageration of what YT did to him. Consider that the largest channels most likely bring in 80% of the revenue, so losing 1 massive creator is a percentage off the bottom line.

Reactions: RideOnTwo

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
The way I see it, YT has the black & white stated in the T&C. Whether or not they enforce it, or perform selective enforcement, is on them. Yes you can play the same tricks as the big boys, but whether you get the same treatment, that's for you to take a chance on. If YT does take action, they have the T&C, all you have, is proof that you violated that T&C.

Good luck!

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
Personally I just stick to the relevant tags. To me it seems like coomon sense. Plus as a viewer it would bug the living day lights out of me if I kept getting hit with videos that weren't relevant to what I had been watching

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
but then my channel is growing very slowly too so maybe my policy of integrity is the wrong way to go?

We all have been there. It's really hard to start and realize how to bring more people to watch our stuff. I still struggle with that but watching some of your videos I can tell you what would I personally change. I don't want to do it here though as this sort of summary could be considered rude by some and I'm the last person who wants to offend anyone. But I think we all need some constructive critique at some point. We could even start a topic with something like that. I would be certainly up to it. I would really like to hear why some people find my channel pointless ;) Only knowing that you can make changes for better and adjust to your viewers (or not if you don't like to engage certain viewers)

Reactions: KrustyBoot

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
That's bananas, good find Mengy. Can't believe I just found this thread too lol

It's like me tagging my videos with 'Tractors'... imagine how annoyed the poor farmers would be when they realise it's a motovlog :D

• Haha
Reactions: HippoDrone

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
It somewhat makes sense based on the viewer as a strategy (although fine line of being reasonable).

Lots of people go deep into the YouTube (or generally the Internet) rabbit holes and aren't always looking for specific content. E.g. I spend more time letting YouTube give me random suggestions (ever refresh "home" again to find new videos?).

For example, I watched some kid drain a street during a big rain storm for like 20 minutes. No way I would have searched for that, but it was amusing. EDIT: this guy ... thanks YouTube algorithm:
)

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
For example, I watched some kid drain a street during a big rain storm for like 20 minutes. No way I would have searched for that, but it was amusing. EDIT: this guy ... thanks YouTube algorithm:
)

Damn you Humes, I just watched that entire video. He is very entertaining!

I also noticed he doesn't tag any of his vids at all.

STR-Rider

Triple Rider
Aug 20, 2015
Tokyo, Japan
triple-rider.com
I ride a
Street Triple RS (2018)
I didn't ever take tags seriously, I just posted random (but related) tags on my videos and even some silly ones that people never noticed. I'm not convinced that it makes much of a difference but I'm willing to clean up my tag act if it's really something worth organizing and updating with each video release.

I also noticed he doesn't tag any of his vids at all.
Exactly...

One of my night ride videos that's completely dull, still pulls in views (big for me) and gets clicked in search results. I tried copying that style of video and used nearly the same settings (tags and such) to see if a 2nd video of the same type would catch on like that one did. (again, 5k views on one video is big for me, small potatoes for others)

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
So speaking of tags, wonder if we can come together to share what people are using for their videos. My tags for my latest video are below. It's basically a totally random guess at what might be "relevant", but doubt I'm doing a good job. I'm not sure if tags correlate to exact search terms, so maybe multi-word tags are useful ?

You'll see my tags split up in the following ways:
* Motorcycle / motovlogging / vlogging tags
* Travel tags
* Location tags

1592274989470.png

Reactions: MickFist

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts