YouTube tag patterns on some large motovlog channels

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
Seems like I'm way off the mark compared to what this article says - https://backlinko.com/hub/youtube/tags

Couple takeaways for those who don't want to parse through it:
  • First tag = target keyword (basically, order matters)
  • 5-8 tags total (help YouTube figure out what your video is; say more with less)
  • focused + broad keywords (target your niche, but also add general tags)
  • 2-3 words per tag in general
Also appears there may be helpful tools out there, like this (mentioned in post):
* https://tagsyoutube.com/

Reactions: TBRD and HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I'd definitely not add any tags with "vlog" in them unless the video was about vlogging. When you go onto YouTube and search for a video, have you ever typed vlog into the search box? Go with words you'd use if you were looking for your video out of the millions. And also use a decent description too! :)

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Seems like I'm way off the mark compared to what this article says - https://backlinko.com/hub/youtube/tags

Couple takeaways for those who don't want to parse through it:
  • First tag = target keyword (basically, order matters)
  • 5-8 tags total (help YouTube figure out what your video is; say more with less)
  • focused + broad keywords (target your niche, but also add general tags)
  • 2-3 words per tag in general
Also appears there may be helpful tools out there, like this (mentioned in post):
* https://tagsyoutube.com/

That's interesting, I've had a few "successful" Youtubers tell me kind of the opposite info:

- Tag order doesn't matter
- Try to use all or most of the 500 tag character limit, more metadata is better

Sometimes it seems like no one really knows the answers for certain.

KapGranite

New Hampshire, USA
Jun 16, 2020
New Hampshire
I ride a
Victory Cross Country
I have been using tubebuddy to help with tags I keep the relative to my videos of course but it seems to help get them in the right direction.

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
So speaking of tags, wonder if we can come together to share what people are using for their videos. My tags for my latest video are below. It's basically a totally random guess at what might be "relevant", but doubt I'm doing a good job. I'm not sure if tags correlate to exact search terms, so maybe multi-word tags are useful ?

You'll see my tags split up in the following ways:
* Motorcycle / motovlogging / vlogging tags
* Travel tags
* Location tags

View attachment 5026

here's my latest ones it was on my clipboard haha.

adventure,bike,wee,jasper,canberra,ride,harley,dirt,nokia,dji,spark,drone,footage,motovlog,request,help,ideas,opinions,royal,enfield,triumph,thruxton,off-road,crf450,250,450,wr,wr250,kawasaki,honda,suzuki,softail,lake,burrinjuck,kangaroo,poem,art,winter,cold,landscape

any good or bad? no idea.

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Because we have no idea how YouTube works this stuff out I'm really starting to think they are paying less attention to tags than they used to, because of the overuse of many of them.

I think its just try to keep them relevant to your content and hope for the best.

I'm sure its all voodoo how you get a video to go viral anyway.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I'd definitely not add any tags with "vlog" in them unless the video was about vlogging. When you go onto YouTube and search for a video, have you ever typed vlog into the search box? Go with words you'd use if you were looking for your video out of the millions. And also use a decent description too! :)

I do use motovlog as a tag, never vlog as a solo word.

I also don't believe people use 1 word to search in youtube, so it will most likely be a mix of different tags at the same time.

Reactions: KapGranite

Steph

SenditSteph
Jul 9, 2020
New England
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Harley FXRS
Honda CBR600 f4i
Does anyone use SEO programs to help with finding the right tags for your videos? I’ve used google trends to search but I haven’t gotten much out of it.

Reactions: R-Rated

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
I use the free version of tubebuddy to quickly add tags. I don't think it adds anything we couldn't figure out, it's just faster.

Rather than tags, I think the recipe for success is you need people watching your vids, the whole vid. Interaction with likes and comments helps to pump it up.

Reactions: Steph

WaltInPA

Wannabie Member
Jun 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
www.waltinpa.com
I ride a
2018 Honda CB650F
I use the free version of tubebuddy to quickly add tags. I don't think it adds anything we couldn't figure out, it's just faster.

I started using TubeBuddy recently - it definitely seems to help me refine my tags. It tends to recommend tags that are more specific than the ones I was using prior.

The real interesting thing with that plugin is that it shows you what tags channels are using. I'm kind of amazed at how often I see small channels trying to piggyback off of larger channels by using their names as tags.

Reactions: Steph

TBRD

Throttle Back Rubber Down
Jul 9, 2020
I ride a
2020 BMW S1000XR
As a newbie I hadn’t thought much about it. I figure I will throw in a tag or two that is relevant to my stuff and that I think I might search for if I was looking for the type of content that is in my video. I don’t want to create “tag-bait”

Reactions: LandyVlad

WaltInPA

Wannabie Member
Jun 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
www.waltinpa.com
I ride a
2018 Honda CB650F
I have my default tag settings to include Motovlog, Motovlogging, Motorcycle, WaltInPA, and Pennsylvania.
When I upload and Title each video I'll go through and try to layer in as many specific tags as makes sense but I'm a long way from running out of space for tags on any given video.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
standard tags:
Name of channel, motovlog, motorcycle, bikelife, brand of bike, model of bike, brand of camera, brand of helmet, model of helmet,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R-Rated General Discussion 39
R-Rated General Discussion 11

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts