Youtube Ruining My Vid Quality

NomadLad

Wannabie Member
Aug 7, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800
Hi all,

Most likely a noob question but I tried searching and couldn't find an answer.

I've finished my 1st vlog, recorded, edited and rendered in 1080p 60fps.

The video came out perfectly on my pc, I then upload it to youtube and it's horrific!!
The quality is all grainy and shit!

Please tell me there is a simple fix for this!?

How do RJ and RidingwithTom get their uploads to keep their quality?

Reactions: RoadSprock

NomadLad

Wannabie Member
Aug 7, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800
how long did you wait between upload and view? Youtube puts a low quality version up first while they process and distribute the high res version. I have seen it take a couple hours to have 1080 available as a playback quality option.
Thanks for the quick reply, I guess I completely jumped the gun, just checked it again and it's much better!

Got caught up in the excitement!

Sorry to the admins for the irrelevant post!

DsiMoToMan

Desi MoToMan
Apr 15, 2016
India
I ride a
Honda CB Dazzler
In my initial videos I was also facing the same issues with quality. What I started doing from my 6th vlog was that I was rendering a lossless AVI format file which comes out to be huge....like 69.4 GB for 7+ minutes, and then I HandBrake-d it...started giving almost identical quality as the source footage on Youtube

SalvageSV

Hopes he doesn't crash this month
Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
In my initial videos I was also facing the same issues with quality. What I started doing from my 6th vlog was that I was rendering a lossless AVI format file which comes out to be huge....like 69.4 GB for 7+ minutes, and then I HandBrake-d it...started giving almost identical quality as the source footage on Youtube
While I see how this would work, there are ways around using an uncompressed format.

When it comes to video compression, you really have to focus on the bitrate. H.264 is an awesome codec and the industry standard for the things we do. However, the output defaults for H.264 compression in most cases are in a lower bitrate. I know Premiere defaults to 10 mb/s average and 12 mb/s max for Variable Bitrate (VBR) encoding. Comparing to a "standard" GoPro camera that captures at 25 mb/s, that's basically halving the data stream and, effectively, the quality. Comparing that to a Hero 4 Black edition in Protune (recording at 60 mb/s), you're murdering the quality.

My suggestion is to use H.264, which is the native compression of most consumer action cameras, to render and be sure to use VBR compression at 20+ mb/s. Your quality issues should disappear.

MotoDynsty

Putting the Nasty in DyNasty
Mar 11, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
I ride a
K8 GSXR 600
I actually keep my video unlisted until youtube gets all high def options available before i make my video public. Just found out about the delay a couple weeks ago. I second mattw, h.264 has given me the quickest upload times with youtube.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
I actually keep my video unlisted until youtube gets all high def options available before i make my video public. Just found out about the delay a couple weeks ago. I second mattw, h.264 has given me the quickest upload times with youtube.
Are you saying the delay to render in higher quality on YouTube is a couple of weeks? Or you just learnt about YT taking a bit of time to render the higher quality option? LoL.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
30fps will give you much higher quality as 60fps is nowhere near double the bit rate on YouTube.

the more popular channels also get allocated higher bit rates on YouTube.

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
30fps will give you much higher quality as 60fps is nowhere near double the bit rate on YouTube.

Except that 30fps introduces gaussian motion blur to smooth out actions.

It's okay if you're filming normal slow moving scenes like a movie. But action shots need higher fps to make it clear and crisp.

Although if you intentionally film action in 30fps for stylistic purposes then it's fine. Which I sometimes do.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Except that 30fps introduces gaussian motion blur to smooth out actions.

It's okay if you're filming normal slow moving scenes like a movie. But action shots need higher fps to make it clear and crisp.

Although if you intentionally film action in 30fps for stylistic purposes then it's fine. Which I sometimes do.

Anything applied to 30fps videos on YouTube is also applied to 60fps ;)

VlotoMog

VlotoMog.com - troller is watching you -_-
Jun 30, 2014
The Netherlands
vlotomog.com
I ride a
Honda CBR600F3
60fps makes it worse for me. I have a vlog in 60fps and it's the worst compression ever :s I don't know if it's just that vid or any future vid...but I stuck with 30 the last couple of vlogs. Might retry it soon since I have a 128gb SD card anyway.

Hoodie

Hoodierider - Amsterdam motovlogger
Jun 3, 2016
Amsterdam
I ride a
Honda GL500 Silverwing
I laughed a little. I can so feel the excitement you must've had, and then seeing the shitty quality. Lol

ZBrazil

Clutch Fiction ambassador
Oct 7, 2016
Los Angeles
I ride a
Ducati

I did not even know that YouTube does that sort of prioritization. good to know!

AdydasNZ

Wannabie Member
Dec 23, 2016
Northland New Zealand
I ride a
Yamaha R1 2004
how long did you wait between upload and view? Youtube puts a low quality version up first while they process and distribute the high res version. I have seen it take a couple hours to have 1080 available as a playback quality option.
^^ Spot on, i bet that is the cause..

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts