Which Do You Prefer

DFG

Dat Foreign Guy
Dec 26, 2016
North Carolina
I ride a
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa
Which camera angle do you prefer the most?

The one where the camera is mounted on the chin or on the side of the helmet where you can see some of the helmet?

Personally, I like it on the side of the helmet. Just curious as what you guys prefer.

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
I get the feeling this has been discussed in the past.

I much prefer the side mount. Not a fan of a chin mount at all.

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
yes, plenty of threads on this.

Chin Mount for me when I use GoPro, if I had a Drift or Sony camera I would mount it on the side.

DFG

Dat Foreign Guy
Dec 26, 2016
North Carolina
I ride a
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa
I'm sure there is, I didn't bother to search for other ones. It was easier to just ask lol.

burlyjack

The bearded dude with a cool YouTube
Oct 10, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
I ride a
2004 Honda VTX 1300
The side mount with a view of the helmet gives a better perspective in my opinio. However if half the frame is nothing but helmet then that's too much. One view I really don't like is on top of the helmet. I like to be able to see the bike you're riding. One of the things I like the most about Motovlogging is the whole first person perspective. I really wish I could find a good set up for putting the camera inside the helmet like M13 use to

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
You could always do clever editing to make it look like it is inside the lid. I like the side mount but have seen so many vids where it loses the important footage due to being on the wrong side. If going sidemount I guess you need 2 cameras, one for each side then edit between them for ideal perspective.

burlyjack

Oct 10, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
I ride a
2004 Honda VTX 1300
You could always do clever editing to make it look like it is inside the lid. I like the side mount but have seen so many vids where it loses the important footage due to being on the wrong side. If going sidemount I guess you need 2 cameras, one for each side then edit between them for ideal perspective.

Yeah I'm not that fancy lol. A pair of glasses that had a camera that record in HD would be awesome. That way you could have a real FPV like in Ride or something lol.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
on my airsoft vids I utilised 3 cameras and made the headcam look like it was through my goggles, folk said they liked it so I have continued to use it where I can. Am too new on here to show an example though so may come back to this thread after my probation period is up (if allowed to show the effect in this thread?)

DFG

Dat Foreign Guy
Dec 26, 2016
North Carolina
I ride a
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa
The side mount with a view of the helmet gives a better perspective in my opinio. However if half the frame is nothing but helmet then that's too much. One view I really don't like is on top of the helmet. I like to be able to see the bike you're riding. One of the things I like the most about Motovlogging is the whole first person perspective. I really wish I could find a good set up for putting the camera inside the helmet like M13 use to

I can't stand the view from the top of the helmet. Now if someone is behind you and they are recording you than it's a dope angle but I don't like it either for vlogging

BlakShadow

The Masshole
Sep 26, 2016
Massachusetts
I ride a
Honda Shadow ACE 1100
I prefer a chin mount, but can't use one on my modular helmet because that's where the release mechanism is, so I use a side mount. I have an old full face helmet that I only use for rallycross and track days in cars (no modular helmets allowed), and use a chin mount on that.

Reactions: 8BitRider

DFG

Dat Foreign Guy
Dec 26, 2016
North Carolina
I ride a
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa
I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I think I'm just going to experiment with it and see what looks the best. Thank you all for your input.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I have a feeling I would prefer the side mounts. It’s the only one I have since I have a Drift Ghost S, and I’m not sure if there is a universal chin mount for cross brand cameras. However, there may be a more aesthetic, or psychological reason, for a side mount preference over a chin (or POV) view.

A side view creates an OTS, or Over-the-Shoulder kind of shot, which is my favorite shot in terms of shot selection, or editing. I say this because it turns the viewer into a voyeur. Instead of being set back from the subject/Main Character, watching the action through the 4th wall, we have now crept up behind the character (without them knowing it) to spy over their shoulder, and share what they’re watching.

This powerful shot has been used throughout film history in numerous variations from your standard OTS, to Over-the-Hip (or gun holster. Watch any classic western to see what I mean) to Over-the-Knee, and Over-the-Ankle (or spurs. Again, watch a classic western).

The OT(fill in the blank) can be used in many situations. An Over-the-Window Pane for an actually voyeur shot, to over a bush, over a branch, a desk, a hand, etc. ... . The list goes on.

The Chin shot creates a POV shot, which can be powerful, but is best used when it is preceded by an ’Off the Look’ shot. This means that if we -- the audience -- sees the Main Character looking at something ‘off screen’, whatever is cut to next is understood to be form the characters’s POV. If a clip starts with this, a POV shot, it’s not wrong, but it loses its editing punch. If it’s all we see then it becomes a long take. Long takes can work as long as they are interesting, challenging, or intriguing. Sound, music and voce-overs can create these elements. If B-roll footage can be edited in, then the long take is broken up, which creates an anticipation when we cut back to it.

Watch commercials, short films, TV and feature films and you'll notice how often the ‘Off the Look' shot is used, along with the OTS. Editors love 'Off the Look’ shots because it motivates a cut. By this I mean an editor will often ask why am I cutting here? what’s motivating this cut? An ‘Off the Look shot answers that question while an OTS shot adds tension and drama to a scene.

- Wuf

Reactions: burlyjack and DFG

DFG

Dat Foreign Guy
Dec 26, 2016
North Carolina
I ride a
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa
I have a feeling I would prefer the side mounts. It’s the only one I have since I have a Drift Ghost S, and I’m not sure if there is a universal chin mount for cross brand cameras. However, there may be a more aesthetic, or psychological reason, for a side mount preference over a chin (or POV) view.

A side view creates an OTS, or Over-the-Shoulder kind of shot, which is my favorite shot in terms of shot selection, or editing. I say this because it turns the viewer into a voyeur. Instead of being set back from the subject/Main Character, watching the action through the 4th wall, we have now crept up behind the character (without them knowing it) to spy over their shoulder, and share what they’re watching.

This powerful shot has been used throughout film history in numerous variations from your standard OTS, to Over-the-Hip (or gun holster. Watch any classic western to see what I mean) to Over-the-Knee, and Over-the-Ankle (or spurs. Again, watch a classic western).

The OT(fill in the blank) can be used in many situations. An Over-the-Window Pane for an actually voyeur shot, to over a bush, over a branch, a desk, a hand, etc. ... . The list goes on.

The Chin shot creates a POV shot, which can be powerful, but is best used when it is preceded by an ’Off the Look’ shot. This means that if we -- the audience -- sees the Main Character looking at something ‘off screen’, whatever is cut to next is understood to be form the characters’s POV. If a clip starts with this, a POV shot, it’s not wrong, but it loses its editing punch. If it’s all we see then it becomes a long take. Long takes can work as long as they are interesting, challenging, or intriguing. Sound, music and voce-overs can create these elements. If B-roll footage can be edited in, then the long take is broken up, which creates an anticipation when we cut back to it.

Watch commercials, short films, TV and feature films and you'll notice how often the ‘Off the Look' shot is used, along with the OTS. Editors love 'Off the Look’ shots because it motivates a cut. By this I mean an editor will often ask why am I cutting here? what’s motivating this cut? An ‘Off the Look shot answers that question while an OTS shot adds tension and drama to a scene.

- Wuf
Thank you for the very indepth response. I appreciate it very much.

I like the idea of having a piece of helmet show and, that's how I've been doing it for sometime. But I want to give the chin mount a shot but my helmet sucks for that and I don't feel like adding bunch of links to make it work.

cakcibor

Wannabie Member
Jan 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I ride a
Yamaha Lagenda 115ZR
At first, I tried top mount. Too much wind drag. Plus, bike view is minimal. Then I tried side mount. Like it so far. Chin mount are not possible as I'm not using full face helmet.

Reactions: rafiealam

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Yeah, I’m curious about a chin mount, but I don’t know if they have one for my camera. I actually like mounting the camera to my windshield pouting forward, and then a shot of my (camera facing rider) to have more footage to cut to.

Are chin mounts universal for all cameras or only made for specific brands?

- Wuf

burlyjack

Oct 10, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
I ride a
2004 Honda VTX 1300
Are chin mounts universal for all cameras or only made for specific brands?

- Wuf

I think it really just depends on the size and shape of your camera. I have the Sony Action cam and there's no way I could do a chin mount. It looks like a security camera. GoPro and Sony mounts are usually pretty universal. It may take a little rigging to use a GoPro mount for something different. The biggest thing is making sure the base of your mount matches the pad on your helmet.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Thanks. Yeah, I have a Drift Ghost S which is similarly shaped. I check out GoPros from the school where I teach so I’ll have to sake them if they plan to get a chin mount.

- Wuf

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts