Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
Wow thats some dodgy filtering at the start, left handed - And overtook when the car could have turned left ;)

However - Its quite a good video so I've promoted it but I will be honest, you'll get some judgement from the Rospas ;_

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
I'm saying nothing.

A) not until I've watched it
and
B) that's some text he has under his avatar ;)

Reactions: dandoolittle

2WL

Dan & lurch are inspiring
Dec 17, 2016
South West
I ride a
Suzuki GSR750
Cheers for the comments,

Dandoolittle - I would normally agree with you filtering on the left can be dangerous, I wouldn't normally filter on the left, however in this instance on that stretch of road there is always more room on the left than the right due to on coming traffic. In 3 years of riding that road i've never seen a car turn left there, the other plus being many people travel that road every day and are used to motorbikes/cyclists on the left on that stretch of road :) Rospas?

Lurch - Wow,...WOw :p How did you manage to do that? hahah Not saying your not inspiring...but you now :p cant give to much praise?

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
I agree with you :) some local roads near me you can get away with being cheeky but when people watch they tend to judge ha

2WL

Dec 17, 2016
South West
I ride a
Suzuki GSR750
Thats true,

Riding in the UK is so different to so many countries I find, our road network means that overtaking in 90% of places means a car could turn left or right at any given moment, especially in town centres haha

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
I can't remember if I alerted this one to members, I'll do it tomorrow for you. I normally do if I promoted one so sorry if I didn't

Reactions: 2WL

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a

Advanced motorcycle training and test. How to ride proper kinda thing, but not quite that cut n dried!

Will watch vid shortly and make notes, although you're up shit creek already for one bit of filtering on the left ;)

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
So I watched it...

Good job I'm not on my computer where I can type notes while watching :D

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
I glad you made the video it will bug Lurch for weeks which makes me happy ;)

I'm dreading vlogging again, my track time has massively improved my road riding and sealed the opinion that every other road user is a knob

Last edited:

2WL

Dec 17, 2016
South West
I ride a
Suzuki GSR750
Seal the opinion? I thought that would have happened a long time ago?

Isn't filtering on the left just dodgy rather than illegal? Either way on thos bits of roads the left hand side is def safer than being out on the right :)

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
Technically filtering is all dodgy in insurance terms.

Most say "Filtering is legal if it is done with ‘due care and attention’, and is not ‘dangerous"

When I used to do training we never 'taught' filtering to students

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Wasn't saying filtering up the left is illegal, but you leave yourself fewer options when you do.

Filtering isn't illegal at all, assuming you don't cross a solid line (exceptions apply) or stray in to a prohibited lane for example, but when you do filter, it's best to assume that if anything happens you will most likely be the one held responsible and at fault. People aren't obliged to make space or look for you (per se) whilst filtering, so you need to be doubly careful, and as Dan says, you've got to consider the rules of due care and attention as well as dangerous/careless riding.

There's a few things I could pick over on that video if I was inclined, but if you wanted a one line piece of advice it'd be; protect your safety bubble and improve your B plan if plan A goes to shit.

2WL

Dec 17, 2016
South West
I ride a
Suzuki GSR750
Thats interesting... I was told that I could filter on my test and some examiners would like to see it, however to my mind thats just an easy way to fail your test.

If you want to, feel free pass on some advice

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
In London you're more likely to expected to filter, it's part of making progress, although I don't think they'd mark you down for it as you're considered a novice, hence why they don't like you positioning to near the left or right for general riding, yet you get taught more extreme positioning if you do an advanced course.

But back to filtering, you can do it on test, but same as any other exercise, you'd carry out observations and only proceed if it's safe to do so.

Whole point of having a bike is to make better progress, you just need to make sure it is safe, and have a B plan in case something changes, or if in doubt, show restraint.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts