Welcome to Drakhen99

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Drakhen99, another unusual way to get decent audio at high speeds is to plug a cheap lav mic with a fuzzy deadcat into your phone or a voice recorder and then simply clip the mic onto your jacket or shirt as close to your chin as you can. I've been experimenting with this lately and it honestly works better than you'd think, the key is the fuzzy deadcat which does a great job blocking wind noise at speed. It does make the editing process a bit more involved though.

I just use the internal Hero 8 mic with my setup but for someone with a half helmet the above lav mic setup would be an option for decent audio. Lav mics cost like $12 off Amazon so it's cheap to try it out too.

LOL, that's EXACTLY what I'm doing - we've even conversed about this a bit on YouTube (my channel link is in my sig below, but it's Road Reality - mods, please don't smack my hand for posting my channel name here).

I actually ran into a big issue the past couple of rides, which I didn't notice until last night - my winter riding jacket, having a liner, causes my voice to be muffled and nasally - and no amount of audio editing I could do would fix that.

I ran a test this morning when going to fill up the gas tank on my Glide:
1. Fully zipped jacket & sweatshirt
2. Slightly unzipped jacket, zipped sweatshirt
3. Slightly unzipped jacket, slightly unzipped sweatshirt
4. Zipped jacket, slightly unzipped sweatshirt

Ranked from Best to Worst:
Test 3
Test 2
Test 4
Test 1

Now I have a solid setup for vlogging this winter, except when it gets super cold I may have to go fully-zipped and skip the vlogging.

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Welcome, that is quite some collection of beautiful bikes and all tell a story I am sure.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Welcome, that is quite some collection of beautiful bikes and all tell a story I am sure.

Thanks! They sure do... I mention each one in my videos, but the quick & dirty is the blue Harley is my daily, the red Harley is my wife's, the bobber was my first bike (and was relatively stock until I got a 2nd bike - which was a Vaquero), and the KZ reminds me of my dad's red 78 (mine is a blue 79), which is why I bought it, even though it doesn't run all that well and constantly needs work :D

-John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HippoDrone Introduce Yourself! 6
HippoDrone Introduce Yourself! 0
HippoDrone Introduce Yourself! 4

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts