Video Flagging: How Does It Work?

Kill Kitty

Wannabie Member
Aug 27, 2014
I ride a
Honda CB500X
So I use little clips of music sometimes (from movies, video games, tv shows, etc. less than 30 seconds generally)...of course I don't own the music or anything, but I keep getting flagged. Now my channel is not monetized or anything so it's not a huge deal I guess. But my question is...how in the world does Youtube know to flag my vids? I have a really small channel. Who the heck is finding out that I've used an old ragtime tune for 30 seconds??? It makes me paranoid! :eek: lol.

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
It's part of their algorithm. They can detect copyrighted stuff without looking, it's quite easy really

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
It's a pain I'll give you that.

I wanted to use the original Addams family tune from the 50s thinking the 50 year copyright limit would work in my favour. Nope, instant flag from Warner.

I was thinking of contesting it, but I don't enough about it, nor do I have the will to risk my status taking on Warner.

However, do watch out for copyright trolls. I got hit by a guy called Streammer for a CCA track I legitimately used. I challenged it with evidence as to the copyright licence, the artist's page that had the permission in writing, and also that the artist listed in yhe claim was not the actual artist of the track I used.

Pisses me off that YT panders to the big publishing houses and wont do anything about the trolls trying to take advantage of the little users.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
As above, it's all automated. There isn't someone taking all your videos to tell on you :p

Kill Kitty

Wannabie Member
Aug 27, 2014
I ride a
Honda CB500X
Yeah I figured it was a computer doing it, but I still don't really get how that works. I mean I used to give artist credit like a citation in my about section, but then I thought a computer was just searching the song titles or artist names, so I stopped doing that and I still get flagged. It's confusing because I have no clue how a computer can tell there is even a song in my video. Like the Maple Leaf Rag? Come on, 1899!!! Serious, Sony should get a life.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
As above, it's all automated. There isn't someone taking all your videos to tell on you :p

This Streammer person has been at the losing end of a few challenges, if we can get three strikes and out, why doesn't it work the other way round?

.... Serious, Sony should get a life.
Is there a limitation on copyright in the US? UK it is 50 years, although with artists like Cliff Richard and Paul Macartney having a career spanning 60 years, I think the rules here were relaxed to allow living artists to apply for an extension.

But there is no way a track that is 115 years old is still under any kind of copyright surely? But the penalties of an incorrect challenge are quite high, as in reduction of status and if you do it 3 times you get banned.

TriumfAnt

It was good while it lasted
Jan 20, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800XC
Some publishing companies are less strict than others, they realize that it's better to get a bit of money from your channel (by placing ads on your video) than to come down hard on you.
I also wish YT would do more to stop fake claims by companies just wanting to make money from your videos.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
I delete the vid if anyone demonetises it, not cos I want the money for me, I make incredibly little off YT, but if they can't let the little guys enjoy their bit of fun, then why should I pander to them either by letting them place ads or giving them publicity they are being heavy handed over? I've been using Josh Woodward stuff, and he's more than up for his stuff being used, and I'll be happy to hive him a donation too.

If I was a company using Warner/Sony/whoever's music to generate business then fair enough. Screw them for shitting on the small guy enjoying his hobby.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Edit it how exactly? They seem to be ablevto flag for little bits of tracks.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Worth checking the validity of the claim andvwho is claiming it if you get that again. Search their name in YT. When I searched for the guy who trolled me, quickly became apparent he was a troll.

AndyManCam

www.youtube.com/anymancam
Feb 26, 2014
Hamburg
I ride a
Versys 650
I think you'll find that the copyright Laws are a little more strict, but also more fluid than you guys all think.

For a start, the term was extended thanks to your friend and mine, Bono of U2 fame. The term is now 70 years and the clock doesn't start UNTIL the original owner is dead. It's even called 'The Bono Clause'.

And furthermore, just because the composition is from the 1800's doesn't mean it's not still covered. This is because the recording itself has copyright too. So the music could be from 600 BC, but if somebody recorded it yesterday, they have a fresh copyright for the recording and you can't use it without their permission.

I used the UK National Anthem 'God Save The Queen' at the end of my London tour video. Sure enough YT flagged it because it's a recording by the London Philharmonic from the 60's or something.

One way to get around this, if you can, is to create your own version of the music. I put together a little guitar only version of the national anthem, re-uploaded the video and VIOLA! No problems! I can even monetise it and keep all the cash. I'm practically swimming in money because of it.....

Oh and that doesn't mean just remix it. Samples are covered under a WHOLE other nightmarish stack of rules! You have to create and perform everything yourself.

The music is right at the end...

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
How does anyone tell which orchestra did which recording of any movement? I would say the differences are so subtle that if you uploaded a different recording the Beeb would flag it anyway thinking it was theirs.

AndyManCam

www.youtube.com/anymancam
Feb 26, 2014
Hamburg
I ride a
Versys 650
It's really not that difficult. If they have an exact waveform of the recording, it's as simple as comparing it against the new one. It's like matching fingerprints. It's never completely certain, but enough similarities and it's flagged. Couple that with measuring the BPM, dynamic 'landscape' (how loud/quiet the track goes) and also the actual melodies of the tune and there is even more information to use to make the identification. It's all very easy and very fast for the kind of computers that Google have at their disposal.

Also, the Beeb, or whichever record company owns the music may never know about your 'infringement'. They will have a blanket agreement in place with Google that says what is to be done. Place adverts and take the lions share of revenue, do nothing, or remove the video. (I had some Eagles covers on my music channel a while back. The Eagles record company demanded they all be removed and I almost lost my account and the 2000 subscribers I'd managed to con into following me!)

And all of this happens soooooper fast and probably without ANY humans (except you of course) being involved.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
AndyMAnCam, "The Great Bell" technically isn't called Big Ben either ;)

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts