Tripod Camera while riding?

CVentures

Rookie Rider
Aug 28, 2020
Maine
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Beta 300RR
So I bought a small portable tripod that can fit a GoPro on it, and it fits ‘snuggly’ in my backpack. However i set it up once, however it kind of interrupts the trip. Do you all use this angle at all ? Meaning if im with riding buddies, we all have to stop or I have to go ahead, set it up, turn it on, drive back and then we all come around the corner or whatever together. Then i have to stop and pick it up and put it all away etc.

As much as i want more of this type of footage, the more I’m finding it a pain in the butt and slows the flow of the ride.

How do you all feel about this?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
If out with my mate Big_Pezza, he will often scoot off ahead on the trail and take pics or short vid clips of us riding bits, but we don't really bother hugely with tripods etc on group rides as it interferes with the riding too much. If I am out by myself I do sometimes, as the 360 cameras are quite handy for tracking me as I pass keeping my bike in shot as I approach and ride past

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I have not done this myself. I tried once on a trip, but the footage was not good enough to use. But I am mostly not fond of leaving my cameras anywhere unsupervised. I think it will be specially difficult with group rides. When solo riding you can take your time and won't bother anyone with the going back and forth, besides locals :p

Reactions: HippoDrone

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Do you all use this angle at all ?

In a review video i love to try and take those shots.
If i can manage, i will use them for sure ;)

In grouprides i do ride ahead sometimes etc, but just use a cam on the bike or on the helmet for that ;)

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
If you have something like a gimbal tripod set up with a second camera they're easy to just place on the road, or a stone and then ride back to catch the footage you want. They're small and you can pre-set up your camera for the kind of shot you want.

- Wolf

Reactions: Theodor

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I have a 20 year old folding tripod I've used with my DSLR's and such over the years. It works just fine with GoPros too! Problem is it folds down kinda big, I'd like to buy a new more compact one. I see some nice ones on Amazon for $30, I might spend some Amazon Points and pick it up for free, my old tripod doesn't fit well inside the Wing tourpak.

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
If it's just a GoPro, it may be quicker and easier to use one of the Jaws clamps:

(Or the Dinkum Systems version if you can find one - same size but way better quality and clamping force (designed for mirrorless cameras not GoPros) but discontinued)

Of course means you're constantly looking for fences and street signs to clamp onto which may not be ideal. But it;'s also handy as you don't need to worry about the wind and it's way quicker to set up and much easier to carry, can also double as a handlebar mount for shots of your head.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
For the Firefly i also use a big clamp, with attached bolt for the camera.
Works good when it isn't clamped on something round ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SOGGY BAWS Camera Setups 3

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO