Tools

Mr. G

Essential G
Nov 19, 2017
I ride a
V-Star 1300
What repairs do all riders need to be able to do road side and what tools are required?

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
What repairs do all riders need to be able to do road side and what tools are required?

Rarely anything more than the one you got with your bike.

I have one of those Swiss army type Allen key style things with a couple of screw heads attached. Mine will never leave my tail, never notice it and always there.

I’ve marked the breakdown number on the tool as well, just in case

Reactions: R-Rated and Mr. G

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Nowdays I don't think you really have to know or be capable of doing anything on your own. That's what the roadside assistance services are for. Then again, you can save some money, if you can do stuff yourself. So just do what you feel comfortable doing, and keep learning bit by bit. And only carry the tools you can actually use.

Reactions: R-Rated and Mr. G

Undead MV

If there is light, there shall be dark
Oct 9, 2017
Mexico City
I ride a
Bajaj Avenger Street 220
i recommend to carry spark plugs, and cable clutch/accelerator plus and small adjustable spanner wrench, and long nose pliers anything that requires something different than above, better call a towing service!

Reactions: R-Rated

Mr. G

Essential G
Nov 19, 2017
I ride a
V-Star 1300
i recommend to carry spark plugs, and cable clutch/accelerator plus and small adjustable spanner wrench, and long nose pliers anything that requires something different than above, better call a towing service!
Explain as if I am stupid please =]

Undead MV

If there is light, there shall be dark
Oct 9, 2017
Mexico City
I ride a
Bajaj Avenger Street 220
Explain as if I am stupid please =]
The most common failures on the road I've seen: Failure in spark plugs, a broken clutch cable and a broken accelerator cable, carrying on this spare parts and the tools previously mentioned you can fix your bike at the momment, in other case better call for assistance.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I personally carry a standard set of allen keys to tighten or adjust my handlebars, footpegs, primary cover and gas tank. I carry a 1/2 inch spanner and adjustable spanner for clutch cable adjustments, gas tank, and mirror adjustments. A set of torx bits also are good to have for the Primary Derby cover incase I need to change or add primary fluid on the road. And a small flat head and phillips head screw driver for the brake caliper, hose clamps and battery terminals. Battery terminals are notorious for rattling loose on Sporty's. And multitool like the one Gerber or Leatherman. I have one of each but prefer the Gerber. The Grber multitools are easier to grip because they have sooth rounded handles rather than the open, blunt edges of the compartments where the extra gadgets live in the handle that you need to squeeze which dig into the fleshy parts of your hand.

I keep a handful or zipties on hand as well as they come in handy on every long ride I have ever taken even if its not for the bike. I ride a Harley Sportster with spoke wheels and changing a tube on the side of the road isn't really an option.

I don't carry sparkplugs as I have not had a sparkplug issue in the 74,000 I have ridden on my bike. Some people still have sparkplug fouling, but it seems rare with all the people I know riding bikes with fuel injection. But I do carry extra exhaust manifold nuts as mine have a tendency to rattle off from time to time because again the vibration from the Sporty engine is a bit much.

I've had clutch cable snap on me while riding and carrying one just isn't worth it. I wouldn't want to be on the side of th road replacing that on my bike. Not difficult and the only tool I didn't mention that is needed on a Sporty is a snap ring plier, but that isn't even necessary if you're just looking to get home. On a Sporty, Clutch cables and throttle cables should last a long, long time with proper maintenance. Mine get lubed twice a year. I would suspect that most manufacturers use pretty sturdy cables in this day and age as those are parts that see a lot of stress, but I could be wrong as only have the Sporty and a Suzuki Savage. And the Savage hasn't really been tested by me or my lady too much that we would even have to worry about breaking down more than 50 miles from home.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Duct tape and H-D sells a small air compressor that plugs into the same connector that some trickle charges use. I also have a Petzel lamp that I can wear on my head so both hands are free for wrenching. Locking pliers make good substitutes for shifters and pedals in a pinch. Plus a good manual for long trips just in case. Depending on population density of the area I have even carried a little extra fuel.

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Harley Davidson Iron 833
The way I see it, if I've wrenched on it then I'm bringing the tool for it.
Handlebars, suspension, shift levers, and any critical fasteners.

My kit goes into my forkbag, aside from sockets and wrenches I bring:
*Zipties, Paracord
*Duct Tape, Electrical Tape
*Ziplock baggies, sandwich and gallon size
*A large trashbag
*Adjustable Crescent Wrench
*Set of Allen/Hex Keys
*Leatherman Multi-tool, folding knife

I've also got a small swing-arm bag with a magnetic LED signal and a packable rain jacket inside a ziplock bag.

If I'm going on a long trip I bring a small tire puncture kit along with a mini compressor, and a headlamp.

oneblackdo

Wannabie Member
Apr 9, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
I ride a
2008 KLR650
Good question - In 60k of rural & outback travel around Australia on the mighty Kawasaki KLR650 I have had to
- repair a cracked/leaking radiator
- replace several starter relays
- adjust someone else's suspension
- repair broken bodywork (several times)
- replace a broken front brake lever
- straighten a bent rear brake lever
- repair (with electrical & duct tape) broken indicators (mine & others)
- change air filter pre-filter
- drain carby many times (yes, a carby!)
- adjust chain
- replace broken mirrors
- adjust tyre air pressure as road conditions change
So I have enough tools to do all that - not the OEM tool kit, but real tools which are kept in a tool tube on the bash plate.

Mr. G

Essential G
Nov 19, 2017
I ride a
V-Star 1300
Good question - In 60k of rural & outback travel around Australia on the mighty Kawasaki KLR650 I have had to
- repair a cracked/leaking radiator
- replace several starter relays
- adjust someone else's suspension
- repair broken bodywork (several times)
- replace a broken front brake lever
- straighten a bent rear brake lever
- repair (with electrical & duct tape) broken indicators (mine & others)
- change air filter pre-filter
- drain carby many times (yes, a carby!)
- adjust chain
- replace broken mirrors
- adjust tyre air pressure as road conditions change
So I have enough tools to do all that - not the OEM tool kit, but real tools which are kept in a tool tube on the bash plate.
Thanks

Reactions: oneblackdo

oneblackdo

Wannabie Member
Apr 9, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
I ride a
2008 KLR650
Forgot to add
- I change my own tyres at home and take all the tools & extra tubes, in case of a flat
- battery problems (me & others) so now I have jumper leads

All this is after thorough preparations - clean, lube, tighten, thread locker, replace etc etc

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts