Thumbnail Editor / Photo Editor?

MachKneel

Insta : @flex_and_freedom
Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Harley Davidson Softail 2021, Yamaha R6 2005
Folks what is everyone using for creating their thumbnails on YT?

I have been using a free version of Canva but think it is time to level up? I'd like some cool features that the free version doesn't have but before I spend (MORE) money, I want to make sure I purchase the right thing!

All advice appreciated as always!
Thanks

John

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sport Glide
Affinity designer or affinity photo. They are similar to Photoshop but have a one off cost

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I use GiMP to create all my TNs. I have used Resolve to make a couple of them, but GiMP is easier for me.

-John

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
I use my videopad photo editor from a screenshot in the video. It automatically saves it to a PNG which is the easiest to upload as a clear thumbnail, and easy to put the big letters on it.

Reactions: Drakhen99

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Folks what is everyone using for creating their thumbnails on YT?

I have been using a free version of Canva but think it is time to level up? I'd like some cool features that the free version doesn't have but before I spend (MORE) money, I want to make sure I purchase the right thing!

All advice appreciated as always!
Thanks

John
I use a mix of canva and photoshop 2020. I am still a student at my local community college so the monthly student pricing helps out.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I use a free program called Inkscape. It's probably not ideal but I am familiar with it and it's free, works great for my purposes!

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
Again no need for paying for anything here.
Gimp and Inkscape are great options.
Plenty of easy to follow tutorials of how to do thumbnails on these programs on - yep you guessed it - youtube.

Also most video editing programs will allow you to build what you want and then save it as a still frame. I know Resolve can.

Skyd

Wannabie Member
May 2, 2021
New Hampshire
I ride a
2020 RPS Hawk 250
I'm using Canva Paid version and have been for quite some time. I have a couple of websites as well so I use it for lots of stuff.

I also use Paint.net a fair amount as well. GIMP is a good program but I haven't used it in a while.

Reactions: YBGuy and Drakhen99

MachKneel

Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Thanks for all the feedback guys, it didn't fall on deaf ears, just been experimenting a lottttt.

Think I will go with GiMP. The program seems great, exactly what I was after in terms of functionality, but also it is free. Given the money we have pumped in to our hobby, I'd be keen to keep costs down! haha

thanks again all!

John

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Thanks for all the feedback guys, it didn't fall on deaf ears, just been experimenting a lottttt.

Think I will go with GiMP. The program seems great, exactly what I was after in terms of functionality, but also it is free. Given the money we have pumped in to our hobby, I'd be keen to keep costs down! haha

thanks again all!

John
Yes, this hobby is hard to keep the cost down on! But we try (sometimes). :p

WaltInPA

Wannabie Member
Jun 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
www.waltinpa.com
I ride a
2018 Honda CB650F
I tried GIMP on my iMac but it doesn't like the software (I read that there is a known performance issue that hasn't been corrected yet). My method lately is kind of a mess.

I edit the photo in Snapseed (iOS App). Then I use Union (another iOS app) to mask one image over the other. Then I export the newly created image to Procreate (another iOS App). From there I trace the subject to get that "Outlined" effect. Then I export yet again and upload to Canva. That is where I finish it up (I have my template stored there).

Like I said - its a mess...

MachKneel

Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
I tried GIMP on my iMac but it doesn't like the software (I read that there is a known performance issue that hasn't been corrected yet). My method lately is kind of a mess.

I edit the photo in Snapseed (iOS App). Then I use Union (another iOS app) to mask one image over the other. Then I export the newly created image to Procreate (another iOS App). From there I trace the subject to get that "Outlined" effect. Then I export yet again and upload to Canva. That is where I finish it up (I have my template stored there).

Like I said - its a mess...

Wow - what a workflow, just for the thumbnail! ha

I haven't used GiMP for a published video TN just yet but have done a few drafts and I really like it. Some of its features are trickier to use than they need to be but think I will get the hang of it eventually!

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Wow - what a workflow, just for the thumbnail! ha

I haven't used GiMP for a published video TN just yet but have done a few drafts and I really like it. Some of its features are trickier to use than they need to be but think I will get the hang of it eventually!

So very much, THIS! Why oh why is GiMP so obtuse when it comes to simple things? That said, I've done enough TNs with it now that I probably couldn't spell out the steps, but I just do them from muscle memory.

-John

Reactions: YBGuy

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
Gimp is good, I use a copy of Photoshop that is many years old now, but it has one feature I love, and that adaptive delete. If you do enough photo work, that feature alone can justify the cost.

But gimp does 95% of what PS does.

My TN's I use a template now, to it is easy, drop in photo, move gradient filter for horizon, change text.

Reactions: YBGuy and Drakhen99

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
@LandyVlad

It will let you delete something and it examines the background and auto fills it in. It is pretty amazing for removing things like power lines or poles or anything. I use it to rove things in the foreground, like a curb when I parked etc.

It uses their content aware fill, I think they don't call it adaptive anymore, I think all their branding is "content aware"

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts