Funny THE ALL NEW HARLEY DAVIDSON SPORTSTER S! Hosted by ICKY ROARICK JR & SEBASTIAN TODD BREAKWHITE!

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
From the teased images in the reveal, there are at least 2 more versions of the Sportster ready to go. And I don't doubt that the MOCO has more cost effective versions ready to drop as well, but even the Pan America had 2 versions at the starting line. The Sportster S does appeal to me in so many ways (horsepower, torque, display) , but that price point does not let it sit high the list of bikes I could buy in the next year. The Electra Glide Standard is higher on that list even though it is 4 grand more. And the only Softail on the list is the Standard which is less expensive. The Indian Scout and Chief are higher on the list right now, but could change if I ride the Sporster S and am blown away by it. I don' think I will be since I have ridden the Pan America, and it was fun, but didn't feel as powerful as I was expecting. And now it is basically dumbed down for the Sportster S which is understandable because you don't have the stopping power (single front caliper) less effective suspension and no variable valve timing which could lead the Sportster S to be too quick for its own good given the lack of stopping power.

And the Softail Standard only has a 3.4 gallon tank, which is only slightly larger than my 1200 XL, so at 1,746CC it isn't going any farther than my Sporty between gas stations.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
From the teased images in the reveal, there are at least 2 more versions of the Sportster ready to go. And I don't doubt that the MOCO has more cost effective versions ready to drop as well, but even the Pan America had 2 versions at the starting line. The Sportster S does appeal to me in so many ways (horsepower, torque, display) , but that price point does not let it sit high the list of bikes I could buy in the next year. The Electra Glide Standard is higher on that list even though it is 4 grand more. And the only Softail on the list is the Standard which is less expensive. The Indian Scout and Chief are higher on the list right now, but could change if I ride the Sporster S and am blown away by it. I don' think I will be since I have ridden the Pan America, and it was fun, but didn't feel as powerful as I was expecting. And now it is basically dumbed down for the Sportster S which is understandable because you don't have the stopping power (single front caliper) less effective suspension and no variable valve timing which could lead the Sportster S to be too quick for its own good given the lack of stopping power.

And the Softail Standard only has a 3.4 gallon tank, which is only slightly larger than my 1200 XL, so at 1,746CC it isn't going any farther than my Sporty between gas stations.
The Sporty S' version of the Rev Max engine does have VVT - but I believe it has lower overall HP because they made the torque curve flatter, for whatever reason - my uneducated guess is to make it more streetable. Also for the reasons you listed - brakes/suspension.

As for "short list" of bikes to add to the stable... the Sporty S is right there for me... next to the Kawi Z900RS, which is a few grand cheaper, and maybe close in speed [25lbs lighter, 10hp/tq down from the Sporty S]. I won't be buying a bike in the next year, at least, so it's still a wish list.

-John

Reactions: R-Rated

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
The Sporty S' version of the Rev Max engine does have VVT - but I believe it has lower overall HP because they made the torque curve flatter, for whatever reason - my uneducated guess is to make it more streetable. Also for the reasons you listed - brakes/suspension.

As for "short list" of bikes to add to the stable... the Sporty S is right there for me... next to the Kawi Z900RS, which is a few grand cheaper, and maybe close in speed [25lbs lighter, 10hp/tq down from the Sporty S]. I won't be buying a bike in the next year, at least, so it's still a wish list.

-John
I just read motorcycle.com's write up and they state that VVT is included, but that is the only written confirmation that VVT is included that I would trust since that isn't included on the HD Sportster S page yet. Hopefully it is cause that would also make it handle fuel and emissions better.

I am keeping the new bike list active because my Sporty now has 90,000 on the clock and my wife rides it like she stole it! I will certainly rebuild her if anything big goes, but that might take time and my wife gets impatient when she can't ride, so a newer bike might be the best choice to keep her hair flapping in the wind.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I just read motorcycle.com's write up and they state that VVT is included, but that is the only written confirmation that VVT is included that I would trust since that isn't included on the HD Sportster S page yet. Hopefully it is cause that would also make it handle fuel and emissions better.

I am keeping the new bike list active because my Sporty now has 90,000 on the clock and my wife rides it like she stole it! I will certainly rebuild her if anything big goes, but that might take time and my wife gets impatient when she can't ride, so a newer bike might be the best choice to keep her hair flapping in the wind.
1626360521316.png

I spotted this on the Sporty S page, which is why I included it in my reveal reaction vid.

It's not listed in the detailed specs though, which is where most people go to get, you know, the SPECS on the bike LOL.

-John

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
View attachment 5902
I spotted this on the Sporty S page, which is why I included it in my reveal reaction vid.

It's not listed in the detailed specs though, which is where most people go to get, you know, the SPECS on the bike LOL.

-John
Yeah, I man checked I guess since I looked for it in the spec breakdown hahahahahaha

Reactions: Drakhen99

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Well today Icky Roarick Jr. found out what the S stands for. Rhymes with spit.

If you are taller than 5'8", this bike ain't for you. Compared to the PanAm, it rode rougher, felt weaker in all modes, and couldn't handle 80 mph without straining.

The plus side is the saddle is just as comfy as the Black Death motorcycle in Harley Davidson and the Marlboro man.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I haven't ridden the Sporty S yet but a bud of mine did and he didn't like it at all. Hated the foot placement, hated how it sounds, wasn't impressed with the power or feel of the bike. He said it felt like a bad foreign bike rather than a Harley.

I have to ride it now just out of curiosity, I wonder if he was just overly negative or not.

mymotorrad

Wannabie Member
Mar 26, 2021
Fountain Hills AZ
www.mymotorrad.com
I ride a
2009 R1200RT
I would not say all of the softails value comfort and range more. The 2021 Fat Bob has 3.6 gallon tank so that 114 ci engine is going to suck it clean at the advertised MPG of 47 in 169 miles (more likely sooner). The Fat Bob seating position is nearly identical to the Sportster S.

The Sportster S is 3.1 gallons and advertises a MPG of 49 mpg so 151 miles at best.

But how many folks run a tank bone dry right? Both bikes will refuel about the same amount of time and miles in real world riding.

Funny thing is H-D killed off the FXDR which looks like the Sportser S older brother.

View attachment 5901

If an H-D prone person want sport, comfort, and range - try the Road Glide and Road Glide special. The only Harley that I ever reviewed that made me laugh with sheer pleasure of working the throttle and dragging boards.
I have a 7.1 gallon tank and can crack 300 miles on highway riding. I guess it all depends. I would find a 3 gallon tank annoying.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I have a 7.1 gallon tank and can crack 300 miles on highway riding. I guess it all depends. I would find a 3 gallon tank annoying.

For around-town riding, 150 miles is PLENTY for me. When I'm going longer distances, I'm taking my Glide anyway, so it's totally a non-issue for a rider like me.

-John

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
For around-town riding, 150 miles is PLENTY for me. When I'm going longer distances, I'm taking my Glide anyway, so it's totally a non-issue for a rider like me.

-John
Might as well make the Sportster S electric with that kind of range. At least then they would have enough power to handle the big roads.

And don't think Harley isn't up to something like that. I found this late last night!

Screenshot_20211107-171546_Chrome.jpg

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Might as well make the Sportster S electric with that kind of range. At least then they would have enough power to handle the big roads.

And don't think Harley isn't up to something like that. I found this late last night!

View attachment 6077
Damn, wish my wife had considered a job she was offered in Yucca a bit more seriously back in January cause I would have pursued this hard!

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Damn, wish my wife had considered a job she was offered in Yucca a bit more seriously back in January cause I would have pursued this hard!
With my son about to start college, I am going to have to wait about 4 years before chasing this dream job down.

I almost took it back 15 years ago. I made it past the phone interview and needed to go out for the riding skills audition. I ended up passing on it then because that is a long way from where my wife and kids would be.:(

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
I think that's up by Kingman.
Yes, just southwest of Kingman. Down I-40 but before you get to the interchange to go to Lake Havasu.

You will know when you are there because your skin will melt. Just kidding, it only got up to 110F in the day and down to a brisk 95F at night when I was in the area.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts