Funny THE ALL NEW HARLEY DAVIDSON SPORTSTER S! Hosted by ICKY ROARICK JR & SEBASTIAN TODD BREAKWHITE!

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
So, who has watched the actual reveal video from Harley?

Thoughts?

HD reveal.JPG

Also, could they not find a more Scottish Scotsman? Shifty 1050? A-bomb biker? Anyone else other than the rich millionaire looking old dude they got?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: YBGuy

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
A. Where the hell is Jason Momoa? 2. Did I see a peak at a future model with a peanut style tank and chopped fender? I hope so! C. Seriously, I came here for Jason Momoa, where the hell is he? And 4. Why aren't there dual disks up front? That should be standard now.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I watched the HD video and read a few articles about the Sportster S.

I love how they put the new Revolution motor into a Sportster but I hate the physical styling of the bike itself. I'd rather they simply drop the new motor into something looking like a traditional Sporty.

Like:
- Revolution motor
- Modern tech
- Ride modes & aids

Don't like:
- Styling
- Seat looks terribly uncomfortable
- Exhaust placement will cook the legs
- The fat looking tires

It will probably ride great though, and I hope it sells well for HD. I'm hoping they put the Revolution into a new HD lightweight sport tourer next, like a Harley Goldwing!!!!

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
"If the 57 Sporster was a giant killer, this thing is an apex predeator," I actually laughed out loud at that line hahahahaha.
What giant were they killing in 1957 anyway? Because a decade later the Japanese manufacturers took H-D to school on how it was done and done right.

Maybe the script meeting went like this:
We need a really profoundly inane comment about how the new Sportster compares to the old.
Everyone looking around for an idea. One employee puts down their paperback copy of Jaws and taps the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoneWolfer

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I like it. On paper it looks like a fun ride, and I much prefer forward controls for my bad knees, so it's on my short list of bikes to add to the stable. I like the looks, the power, the tech... don't like the small tank or the price.

I always discount reveal videos for their words... the marketing people, who usually don't know enough about the products they're trying to sell, are in charge of the script.

-John

Reactions: YBGuy and R-Rated

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
I watched the HD video and read a few articles about the Sportster S.

I love how they put the new Revolution motor into a Sportster but I hate the physical styling of the bike itself. I'd rather they simply drop the new motor into something looking like a traditional Sporty.

Like:
- Revolution motor
- Modern tech
- Ride modes & aids

Don't like:
- Styling
- Seat looks terribly uncomfortable
- Exhaust placement will cook the legs
- The fat looking tires

It will probably ride great though, and I hope it sells well for HD. I'm hoping they put the Revolution into a new HD lightweight sport tourer next, like a Harley Goldwing!!!!
They show a quick peak at a few of the upcoming Sportster models in there if you look closely near the end with a more traditional rear fender (chopped of course) and what looks like a peanut tank similar to the style HD has on the Pan America. This is just the first model.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
I like it. On paper it looks like a fun ride, and I much prefer forward controls for my bad knees, so it's on my short list of bikes to add to the stable. I like the looks, the power, the tech... don't like the small tank or the price.

I always discount reveal videos for their words... the marketing people, who usually don't know enough about the products they're trying to sell, are in charge of the script.

-John
The price is what I don't understand. Now, HD's least expensive bike is the Softail Standard at 13k which removes most people getting started. If I hadn't had the option of a bike in the 10k realm, I wouldn't have started on Harley's and would probably be riding something else.

The engine tech on this bike is not brand new, other worldly or engineering magic. Most of the R&D was done by other companies, over the past 20 plus years. People looking to get into HD shouldn't be the ones who have to pay for Harley catching up to the other big names. Honestly, this bike should cost the same as the Street 750, and move up from there with other versions offering more options.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
The price is what I don't understand. Now, HD's least expensive bike is the Softail Standard at 13k which removes most people getting started. If I hadn't had the option of a bike in the 10k realm, I wouldn't have started on Harley's and would probably be riding something else.

The engine tech on this bike is not brand new, other worldly or engineering magic. Most of the R&D was done by other companies, over the past 20 plus years. People looking to get into HD shouldn't be the ones who have to pay for Harley catching up to the other big names. Honestly, this bike should cost the same as the Street 750, and move up from there with other versions offering more options.
I've seen it time and time again with new vehicles - the most expensive ones come out first, to soak up some of the R&D and costs of tooling up the factory for making the vehicle, and then a year later or so, you get the cheaper models. My bet is that Harley will come out with a $10-12k Sportster S with a smaller engine, and probably less tech.

I also don't think the Sportster S and Softail cater to the same rider, so while they're comparably priced, they're not competing for the same buyer.

-John

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
I've seen it time and time again with new vehicles - the most expensive ones come out first, to soak up some of the R&D and costs of tooling up the factory for making the vehicle, and then a year later or so, you get the cheaper models. My bet is that Harley will come out with a $10-12k Sportster S with a smaller engine, and probably less tech.

I also don't think the Sportster S and Softail cater to the same rider, so while they're comparably priced, they're not competing for the same buyer.

-John
I think they are competing for the same buyer - anyone that walks into the dealer. However, the Sportster will still have the same stigma as before to overcome. Before it could do so with the price point but not so much anymore.

Greed - an American tradition.

Reactions: Drakhen99

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
I think they are competing for the same buyer - anyone that walks into the dealer. However, the Sportster will still have the same stigma as before to overcome. Before it could do so with the price point but not so much anymore.

Greed - an American tradition.
Exactly, this bike won't erase the whole Sportsters are girls bikes, even with MORE POWER! But maybe sales people will be trying a bit harder to sell people the Sportster S's because they will get a bigger commision, not by much, but that ll adds up.

And the price point Drakhen99 is where they compete for attention. That can't be ignored. The Dyna and the Sportster were the two lower price point bikes for years, then it became the Sportster and the new Softail line. Most people looking at Harley's are not looking at the specs for their first foray into HD, they are looking at the visual and the price. Time may change that, but HD has to actually give people a way to get in that isn't such a large financial commitment, which they knew and why they had the Sportster line at the price points they offered and tried to go further with the Street line of bikes.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Exactly, this bike won't erase the whole Sportsters are girls bikes, even with MORE POWER! But maybe sales people will be trying a bit harder to sell people the Sportster S's because they will get a bigger commision, not by much, but that ll adds up.

And the price point Drakhen99 is where they compete for attention. That can't be ignored. The Dyna and the Sportster were the two lower price point bikes for years, then it became the Sportster and the new Softail line. Most people looking at Harley's are not looking at the specs for their first foray into HD, they are looking at the visual and the price. Time may change that, but HD has to actually give people a way to get in that isn't such a large financial commitment, which they knew and why they had the Sportster line at the price points they offered and tried to go further with the Street line of bikes.
(Whips out pipe in rocking chair)

I remember years ago when Sportsters were being sold with the promise the buyer would get full MSRP back on trade in to a "bigger" bike.

I am waiting for Indian to eat H-D's lunch with a shootout like they did with the Challenger vs. Road Glide shootout. Imagine, Scout vs. Sportster race hitting well over 150 mph and whipping around a track with curves galore!

old man with pipe LIFE.JPG
"Damn, look at them little bikes go . . ." - some old dude.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
I am waiting for Indian to eat H-D's lunch with a shootout like they did with the Challenger vs. Road Glide shootout. Imagine, Scout vs. Sportster race hitting well over 150 mph and whipping around a track with curves galore!

View attachment 5900 "Damn, look at them little bikes go . . ." - some old dude.
This better be in the works!

• Love

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I don't disagree that some shoppers come in looking for a price point. Where my thinking differs is that just like the Pan America and Sport Glide are around the same price, they cater to two different styles of riding. I think the Sportster S is going to cater to someone who wants a sportier ride versus the Softail rider who values comfort and range more.

-John

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
I don't disagree that some shoppers come in looking for a price point. Where my thinking differs is that just like the Pan America and Sport Glide are around the same price, they cater to two different styles of riding. I think the Sportster S is going to cater to someone who wants a sportier ride versus the Softail rider who values comfort and range more.

-John
I would not say all of the softails value comfort and range more. The 2021 Fat Bob has 3.6 gallon tank so that 114 ci engine is going to suck it clean at the advertised MPG of 47 in 169 miles (more likely sooner). The Fat Bob seating position is nearly identical to the Sportster S.

The Sportster S is 3.1 gallons and advertises a MPG of 49 mpg so 151 miles at best.

But how many folks run a tank bone dry right? Both bikes will refuel about the same amount of time and miles in real world riding.

Funny thing is H-D killed off the FXDR which looks like the Sportser S older brother.

2020-Harley-Davidson-FXDR-114.jpg

If an H-D prone person want sport, comfort, and range - try the Road Glide and Road Glide special. The only Harley that I ever reviewed that made me laugh with sheer pleasure of working the throttle and dragging boards.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
You're right - whenever I read "Softail" I think of the Heritage LOL... totally forgot about the Fat Bob and Street Bob, and then that FXDR - 100% right - big bro to the Sporty S.

Then Harley can be blamed for following BMW's lead of saturating every bit of white space between vehicle classifications ... "4 door coupe" anyone?

-John

• Love

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts