Tascam DR-10L settings

Skuf

Wannabie Member
Sep 18, 2021
I ride a
Honda Fury
So I have got my Hero 9 setup how I like it and I have done a few videos with my Purple Panda mic connected to the media mod. The audio isn't bad but I don't like that it isn't waterproof. So I got a Tascam DR-10L but I cannot for the life of me figure out any good settings for it to get good audio. Everything I try results in lots of clipping and bad quality audio. So I was wondering if anyone else that uses the DR-10L had any suggestions on good settings to use for the recorder.

Thanks.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I have no experience with the Tascam devices, so I can't be of help there... but as for the Media Mod on the Hero 9 - how heavy a rain are we talking? I've been in several moderate rains with my Hero 9 and Media Mod, and it has yet to get any water in the mic port.

-John

Skuf

Wannabie Member
Sep 18, 2021
I ride a
Honda Fury
I have no experience with the Tascam devices, so I can't be of help there... but as for the Media Mod on the Hero 9 - how heavy a rain are we talking? I've been in several moderate rains with my Hero 9 and Media Mod, and it has yet to get any water in the mic port.

-John
Moderate to heavy, weather up in the mountains is somewhat unpredictable at times. I'm more concerned with it getting into the inside of the GoPro itself from the open battery side that the Media Mod connects to.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Am assuming you have dropped the gain on the Tascam? I use the DR05 and can get pretty good results from it, but some mics are quite sensitive and will clip more than others.

Skuf

Wannabie Member
Sep 18, 2021
I ride a
Honda Fury
Am assuming you have dropped the gain on the Tascam? I use the DR05 and can get pretty good results from it, but some mics are quite sensitive and will clip more than others.
Not at home at the moment so I'll have to check later when I get back. Pretty sure I have it set to autolevel.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
it will possibly be too high if auto as it won't be able to react fast enough.

Reactions: Skuf

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Moderate to heavy, weather up in the mountains is somewhat unpredictable at times. I'm more concerned with it getting into the inside of the GoPro itself from the open battery side that the Media Mod connects to.
There's a video on my channel called No Opportunity Wasted, wherein I got rained on pretty good... I'd say it was a light to moderate rain, which I was in for 45 mins or so. The Hero 9 never complained.

-John

Reactions: Skuf

Skipshift

Perpetual Rookie
Aug 23, 2021
Arkansas, USA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2012 gsxr 600
I run a Tascam DR10l for my audio as well.
A good baseline I've found with different mics is as follows:
Mic gain - Low (You can always bump it up in post if needed)
Low Cut - On (Cuts out buffeting from wind noise)
Limiter - On (Helps cut out peaks)
Auto Level - Off (I found that with it on, after long pauses the audio would crackle a bit as the DR10L adjusted the gain.)
I record a -6dB backup as well, just in case something gets crazy during recording. (99% of the time I don't need it, but it's handy if you get blasted by a train horn :) )
I run the highest bit rate
Mono audio
WAV file format.

From there, depending on the mic I may adjust some settings, but that will get you a safe starting point and hopefully save having to scrap audio or videos.
Hope it helps!

• Love
Reactions: Drakhen99 and Skuf

Skuf

Wannabie Member
Sep 18, 2021
I ride a
Honda Fury
I run a Tascam DR10l for my audio as well.
A good baseline I've found with different mics is as follows:
Mic gain - Low (You can always bump it up in post if needed)
Low Cut - On (Cuts out buffeting from wind noise)
Limiter - On (Helps cut out peaks)
Auto Level - Off (I found that with it on, after long pauses the audio would crackle a bit as the DR10L adjusted the gain.)
I record a -6dB backup as well, just in case something gets crazy during recording. (99% of the time I don't need it, but it's handy if you get blasted by a train horn :) )
I run the highest bit rate
Mono audio
WAV file format.

From there, depending on the mic I may adjust some settings, but that will get you a safe starting point and hopefully save having to scrap audio or videos.
Hope it helps!
Awesome, thanks for the info. I will definitely be giving those settings a shot once the weather clears up a bit.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts