Which Bike

We Need Vloggers!
Aug 24, 2018
Surrey, UK
WhichBike.com
I ride a
All of them!
Just my 2p.

Sub 4 Sub.... At the very least it is nice to see other people's work and usually learn somthing we didn't know beforehand. It can give us content ideas, drive us to improve and numbers do matter on YouTube and every Sub, like and comment adds to a channel's integrity in both the eyes of the prospective viewer and YouTube (if you dont fake it).

My suggestion (though it would take some work) as the Admin has our email addresses:

- Admin shares a Google Doc with us. It will be a matrix
Username/Channel Link | Subbed | Liked | Commented

- We can each go down the list clicking on the names when we have a moment and perform any or all of the three actions

- We update the spreadsheet with what we have done

- Everybody has transparancy of what has been done by whom and to whom

- It self-motivates people to get involved and non-sub backs will be obvious.

- Offer a forum reward of some sort to the members who complete the most actions in a given week/month

This makes it really easy for new members like me to visit the spreadsheet and nkow I am more likely to get subs.
Admins obviously have to add each new member as they get on and express an interest to join it.
It will be another selling point for the forum and ultimately help the whole community

chaosnaut

one who travels through utter confusion
Mar 26, 2015
India
I ride a
Yamaha Crux 2012
- We can each go down the list clicking on the names when we have a moment and perform any or all of the three actions
This is a nice idea, and if someone was willing to maintain the list, I would be willing to sub to everyone down the list... once in a while.

Motovlogging isn't my life, and I have a lot of other interests. In fact, my YouTube is more travel, photography, and slice-of-life related, of which, motorcycles are one facet.

I'm one of those occasional viewers, often making more videos than watching. When I do settle in for an evening of browsing YouTube, I do like to see what the rest of the community is up to. But I am not watching everyone all the time. My viewing interests are also varied, focusing around photography and travel aspects, as well as motorcycles.

I think you will find that some of the best creators are not the best consumers, and vice-versa.

By the way, I just got a new drone I plan on using to film some of my motorcycle exploits when I return to India. Motorcycles and drones? Cool!

MotoCafe

YouTube/MotoCafeRacer
Aug 9, 2016
Columbus Ohio
I ride a
1971 Honda CB750, 2014 Triumph Thruxton 900
Just my 2p.

Sub 4 Sub.... At the very least it is nice to see other people's work and usually learn somthing we didn't know beforehand. It can give us content ideas, drive us to improve and numbers do matter on YouTube and every Sub, like and comment adds to a channel's integrity in both the eyes of the prospective viewer and YouTube (if you dont fake it).

My suggestion (though it would take some work) as the Admin has our email addresses:

- Admin shares a Google Doc with us. It will be a matrix
Username/Channel Link | Subbed | Liked | Commented

- We update the spreadsheet with what we have done

- Everybody has transparancy of what has been done by whom and to whom

- It self-motivates people to get involved and non-sub backs will be obvious.

- Offer a forum reward of some sort to the members who complete the most actions in a given week/month

This makes it really easy for new members like me to visit the spreadsheet and nkow I am more likely to get subs.
Admins obviously have to add each new member as they get on and express an interest to join it.
It will be another selling point for the forum and ultimately help the whole community
Wow, that’s a great idea! I think maintaining the list would be challenging, but it would definitely take the sub4sub to a whole new level.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I will not moderate a sub4sub database/spreadsheet. If you want to go that route, you will need to manage it yourselves.

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I can only offer my experience and observations in "farming" subs.

First, we would need transparency. Not just self reporting. YouTube allows each of to choose to list whom we sub to publicly so anyone can see. This is different than featured channels. It will actually read subscriptions. Plus, when we subscribe to someone they should receive notification from YouTube.

Next is having a place where folks that want to participate can put their information out there.

We each would be responsible for ourselves. If we see our sub count drop, we can check our subscribers and cross check with whom they said they subbed to. If we are not listed then we drop that creator.

The issue of commenting and ghost subs has been covered. Yes commenting can help boost SEO scores on individual videos, but the original post from @dandoolittle was just for subs - not everything that goes with a channel such as comments and views.

As pointed out in the original posting, some may abuse the issue but again - we police our own lists. It is not difficult and may not need policing that often.

So, if the powers that be choose to open a thread and send an email when open enrollment is going on then seems we can make it happen.

Reactions: scooterwuf

moto anzac

Slim
May 29, 2017
Turkey, Izmir
www.motoanzac.tv
I ride a
Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (VN900C) 16'
Back when i was really involved in the SEO SMM SEA game.. i there used to be website that were kind of .. starting-up back then. Which allowed you to sign up - people would like/subscribe to your content, in return and to remain a member of that site you would have to do the same.

Maybe we could find a website like this? Or make one..

Which Bike

We Need Vloggers!
Aug 24, 2018
Surrey, UK
WhichBike.com
I ride a
All of them!
The main thing I liked about the original concept is that it would be between like-minded bike enthusiasts.
Subs between each other - and there is more chance that we would like and comment on the videos.

A google doc spreadsheet can be self-manged by us all. It would also be data safe as we would only mention the Forum username, the YouTube channel URL and the columns of who subbed/commented/liked you so you can return the favour.

Anybody who joins it would do so on the understanding it is a straight forward and transparent community engagement tracking tool and there is no liability on this forum.

I could set the Google Doc up myself easily enough.
If there was a thread or forum section for it where people declared their interest just by entering their YouTube channel URL then that is actually all the info one needs.

However, at present this is all theory.
As @HippoDrone mentioned, somebody would likely need to to take ownership of it.

Problems:
  • At a minimum, somebody would need to enter in all the Usernames and URLs and LOCK these out so somebosdy couldn't subsequently delete them. They would also need to add in each new USername and URL each time a member places his URL post in the thread.
  • Only authorised people would be able to later delete a member from it (more moderation)
  • We don't want to waste peoples' time so how do we know when a member that was on the list is no longer active and will not be able to ever reciprocate - maybe by somebody watching for non-returns
  • Usually, things like this are shared by an Email Address so someody is going to have to send out the Join The Spreadsheet email - this can ONLY be a Admin due to data protection. The alternative is that we make it a Public access spreadsheet and then perhaps Password protect it and the password placed in this forum. I am just not sure if that would allow us to be able to lock out parts or stop people deleting other people's entries

The real benefit is that it is very easy for a new member to get a load of interaction as it is easy for us to go down thel list, click on the URLs to the YouTube channel and perform some kind of engagement or two.

This can all be achieved on a forum thread just no where near as effectively.

Anyway, something to think about :)

Which Bike

We Need Vloggers!
Aug 24, 2018
Surrey, UK
WhichBike.com
I ride a
All of them!
In case anybody needs help visualising what I am talking about.

s4s.JPG

In the above example:

Member 1 has Liked Member 2, Subbed and Liked Member 3, and SLC'd Member 5.
You can also see that Member 3 returned back a Sun and Like to Member 1.

Simples... well, it is in this small snapshot. The spreadsheet would be a lot bigger but the principle is the same.

As I mentioned, a problem is that we need to make that nobody can DELETE anybody elses entries.
basically, the main content columns have to be locked to the that member. i.e. Member1 can only add or delete entries on that C column. He cannot go into any other column at all. This is almost certainly possible but will require administration.

I would do it this way as not everybody will want to sub but may be happy to like and comment. Hopefully, most of us would SLC :)

Which Bike

We Need Vloggers!
Aug 24, 2018
Surrey, UK
WhichBike.com
I ride a
All of them!
Too much of effort to do that. The best is still to not rely on sub-4-sub. Just enjoy making your videos, worry less about the numbers and stats.

Yes, too much effort for those above X amount of Subs with lots of engagement but worth the effort for the majority on here who need a boost. This should be something in addition to any usual marketing and promotion activites tthat they might be doing.

Reactions: R-Rated

Which Bike

We Need Vloggers!
Aug 24, 2018
Surrey, UK
WhichBike.com
I ride a
All of them!
Just curious how you built your 123k subs. Any marketing tips you can share you used for the first 1.5k?
I am nowhere near that level and would love to be there.

My biggest and obvious tip is to create content that people will not only want to watch but will want to come back and consume it again and again.

I reckon the best way for fast and consistent growth, without mass push outs on forums, etc, is to have content which is about human experiences. People engage with other people. You will get people interested in the bike you ride but to attract people for the long term they will want to see how YOU are doing on your motorcycling journey.
Personality and empathy help.

Saying that, I have not started on this yet myself. i am still in the 'look at me riding a load of different bikes' mode but I am getting to it - need to find the time.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Just curious how you built your 123k subs. Any marketing tips you can share you used for the first 1.5k?

Best answer seems to be, no breaks.

Seems weird, but have had good increasing subs, then bike broke, no upload for 2 or 3 months and you can literally start over.
Same when i moved home, couple of weeks/months no subs and your views drop drastically, and most subs turn to dead subs.
So you can start again from start.

Reactions: Which Bike

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
It took me a good 7 years to get to where it is at, so in reality it is not a very fast growth if you compare it to others. And honestly, I didn't do any marketing/promotion/etc. I didn't even do any giveaways, face reveals, or etc. When I first started, it was just to "store" my ride videos on the Internet so that I don't have to keep them on my hard drive, and would just share it to the guys that were in the ride, for them to watch themselves. Somehow or rather other people started to view them, I have no idea why though. Things starting kicking up after the first couple of new motorcycle reviews I did for my buddy, though I am not largely reviewing new bikes and such. I just review them if and when I do have a chance to, I don't go out of my way, these motor journalist guys can be quite annoying always wanting to use the media bikes it's not easy to get a slot, have to wrestle with them which I don't really feel like doing so even though it would be super for the channel. Why? Because people will have expectations that you will be reviewing all the latest stuff and if you don't or are slow the people will get frustrated.. I do it at my own time and pace, for the fun of doing it not because of the demand.

Sorry for the long explanation. For those lazy to read TL; DR, the summary is.. No I did not do any marketing, so I don't have any tips to share other than just keep riding, shooting, and making videos!

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Thanks @SighBored Your channel seems to have taken off on views about 4 years ago where the episodes had high than 1 k counts.

It seems motorcycle reviews do generate a lot of traffic from what my stats are showing too. So it seems attracting traffic is not really just filming what we want but rather maybe mixing it up a bit from time to time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tomstc General Discussion 2

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts