Standalone stabilization solution? [Heh, alliteration]

Papa Jefe

Excuse me? It's "Harley Bro," not "Harley Guy."
Feb 7, 2020
Alabama, US
I ride a
2019 Harley-Davidson Softail FXBB Street Bob
Hey guys. I do all my editing and color correction in Olive, and I absolutely love the results and dig that the software is open-source.

That said, there isn't any stabilization built in and I'm not quite ready to drop the scratch necessary for a newer camera (or fancy paid software). Any suggestions?

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Depends.
Do you think tour footage needs the stabilization?

I have seen video's where the automatic build in stabilization can make you sick.
Same as some of the edited software stabilization, where the road might be still, but the helmet in screen is a eyesore xD

Reactions: L. Bilious

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Depending on the program, you could just stabilize a little bit. For example, maybe just eliminate the excess helmet buffeting when riding WOT o_O

Just be mindful the program may lock onto a movement from a windscreen for stabilizing but ignore it making the handlebars. The end result can look like a wobble is starting.

I am more apt to stabilize shots taken from a mount on the bike vs. the helmet. My bike can make it seem like a major earthquake is occuring.

Reactions: LandyVlad

Papa Jefe

Feb 7, 2020
Alabama, US
I ride a
Thanks for the tips guys. I've never felt it needed it myself, and honestly I prefer the.... not sure what to call it, intimacy I guess? That comes from all of the rider's movements being translated straight to the camera. But I've gotten some complaints from viewers (surprise surprise) and thought I'd experiment with it. I think I'll stick with things how they are, at least for now.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
If it was something you wanted to implement, a second hand GoPro Hero 6 shouldn't cost mega money, and you may even find one with the stupid mic adaptor! :)

Papa Jefe

Feb 7, 2020
Alabama, US
I ride a
Yeah I've been watching Ebay for a used Hero 5 since they use the same hardware as the Hero 3 that I've already got. Eventually, for sure - if nothing else I really want to be able to have multiple camera angles to make my vlogs more interesting for viewers.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
If you are able to record efficiently, then the Hero 5 Session is also an option, plus side is it's form factor, downside is non replaceable battery. I used to run mine on a powerbank though which would go all day etc

Reactions: R-Rated

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I havent uploaded in a while, but Youtube had built in stabilization you could enable after uploading. It may not be great, but it wasnt horrid and its free (but unfortunately not open source ;) )

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
If it was something you wanted to implement, a second hand GoPro Hero 6 shouldn't cost mega money, and you may even find one with the stupid mic adaptor! :)
shivers in mic adapter

My two cents would be to leave the footage raw, digital stabilisation can leave the footage with a surreal see-sick sort of effect and a bit of camera shake isn't a deal-breaker. As Hippo suggests you could always go second hand which I tend to do, and nab a cheap camera with stabilisation. Alternatively a cheaper clone of a gopro with stabilisation could be a solution. I tested the Git2 Pro.. or something along them lines a while back, and the results were suprisingly good!

Reactions: Papa Jefe

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
If your main footage shot suffer from the Jelly effect (camera mounted on the bike bars pointed at threader) program stabilization may not help. Also, if that's the main camera angle you want to use then an investment into a good camera with stability may be the best option. That doesn't mean anything expense. There are many older model cameras that have stabilization, but the disappointment of spending hours shooting footage only to see it's virtually useless due to wobbles and jelly effects might be worth the cost of a reliable camera that delivers great footage.

- Wolf

Reactions: Pooley

ChrisPook

Wannabie Member
Apr 8, 2020
I ride a
Honda Blackbird
Hi. Davinci Resolve is free and has image stabilisation.

Download at the foot of the page. Helluva learning curve tbh, but worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa Jefe

Feb 7, 2020
Alabama, US
I ride a
I actually have Resolve. I was never thrilled with its UX design though, and prefer to avoid it altogether.

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
I'm loving Resolve. Stick with it, you'll learn to love it. It's taken me a while as I use FCPX and the magnetic timeline is different to Resolves node based editing, but once you have you head around it Resolve is unreal.

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
Most Resolve beginner tutorials are junk, this one really helped me though:

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
IMHO go with the Hero7, and skip the previous ones like 5 or 6.. Their stabilization ain't that great. If you want something cheap to test out, try the Akaso Brave4.

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
Davinci is the perfect tool. I started with free version but I moved to the studio version and it is significantly better. But the free is still really good. The only potential issue with stabilization is that it works really well on a short cuts. If you just want to stabilize the whole clip at once it won't work well. For something like that virtual dub with deshaker plugin will do.

Reactions: LandyVlad
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Drakhen99 Editing Talk 0

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts