Soliciting camera suggestions

Ride_NZ

Wannabie Member
Oct 11, 2015
New Zealand
I ride a
1995 Kawasaki ZZR600, 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000
Hi everyone

For the last few years I’ve been using Sony FDR-X3000 cameras, one on my lid and one on my bar looking back. This has not been as good as I expected - Sony’s terrible mounts, their weird file structure and use of XAVC-S preventing my iPad from reading the files etc. I moved to Sony from Gopro because of their stupid mic adapter (Sony has a 3.5mm jack), and because I don’t like GoPros on side or chin mounts particularly, getting in the way of my chin vent etc, so I thought that a bullet shaped camera close to the side might do the trick. Well it hasn’t - the gain is way too hot on the Sony so my audio sounds like crap, and they still stick out the side, I’ve also ruined the USB port on one by plugging power banks into it by feel while riding, and now both cameras have started to crap out so it’s time for a change.

I’m currently running a 10C Pro as backup and to catch the audio of myself and any riding mates and that seems to work well alongside the Sony for video. I have actually pre-ordered the 10C Evo but now I find out you can’t charge that while recording I’m going to not be able to use that on long rides for audio even.

Time for a fresh start.

I am thinking Hero 7 or Osmo Action on an offset chin mount - not covering the chin vent and not sticking out the side. I’m not as bothered by the idea of a mic adapter as I used to be, as long as I can keep it out of the way of being snagged on things as I ride, which is how I broke four of them on my old Hero 4 :-(

I am looking for suggestions for a helmet camera and something to mount on the bike to record facing me. Are the Hero 7’s as unreliable and prone to overheating as I have heard? Also helpful info, I have three helmets I can choose from to mount this on, all LS2, I have Vector, Challenger and Arrow. Yes that’s what happens when you work for the LS2 distributor :) I also have a Giant Squid mic I can use and I ride a GSX-S1000 with a small windscreen I might be able to mount a camera on , as my bars are really buzzy and that upsets the Sonys no end.

Cheers for reading my waffle, any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Chris

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I've had a lot of success with the Drift Ghost S which is a bullet shaped camera with a rotating lens to keep it leveled regardless of where you mount it. Unfortunately, they stop manufacturing the Ghost S, but you may find a used one on eBay, or Facebook Marketplace.

The higher model is the Ghost 4K, also with a rotating lens, stabilization, and a dual mic. I've heard of some problems with the mic connections, so I haven't moved up to it yet.

The lower model is the Ghost X and XL, but it can't record at 60 fps at 1080p.

- Wolf

Ride_NZ

Wannabie Member
Oct 11, 2015
New Zealand
I ride a
I've had a lot of success with the Drift Ghost S which is a bullet shaped camera with a rotating lens to keep it leveled regardless of where you mount it. Unfortunately, they stop manufacturing the Ghost S, but you may find a used one on eBay, or Facebook Marketplace.

The higher model is the Ghost 4K, also with a rotating lens, stabilization, and a dual mic. I've heard of some problems with the mic connections, so I haven't moved up to it yet.

The lower model is the Ghost X and XL, but it can't record at 60 fps at 1080p.

- Wolf

Thanks but it really needs to be 4K as I intend to keep it for a few years and I’m used to 4K so really don’t want to go back to 1080p

Reactions: scooterwuf

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
If looking at GoPro, hang fire for a bit as rumours suggest the GoPro Hero 8 is being launched this month!

I have a 7 and it has only been problematic (for me) although when it works, it makes beautiful footage. I mainly use my GoPro Hero 5 Session as a helmetcam and have 2, one for my road lid, and one for my offroad lid (also an LS2). I don't think they support image stabilisation at 4K though so might not be what you are after.

The Hero 8 should have 4K 60fps with Superview and stabilisation so on paper will be an amazing camera and I think it'll even support 4K 120fps for slow motion shots if that is your thing!

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
I've been using the Ghost S for 2 years and like ScooterWulf says they don't make them anymore but at the right price it'd be a steal. Can't speak for anything 4K camera front.

I keep looking at cameras but as Hippo says I'd hang around and see whats going to drop

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
I just bought a hero 7. The mic adapters are coming into stock in most places. I ordered mine and then ordered the camera and case. I do not shoot in 4k so I can not help there. I was honestly tempted to buy the insta one x but the inability to get my audio on it pushed me to the 7. Being able to turn the camera on and off to record on the fly without compromising my music play ability is steering me from the hero 4 I am using now. with the sena backpack my 20s will not play music or gps directions, I have to stop and turn the backpack off so it is not connected to my 20s anymore. I am hoping with the 7 I can pause music do my video and then resume without pulling over.

Reactions: Ride_NZ

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
As I have said before I love the TomTom Bandit, however reading your above comments it may not be ideal for your wants based upon the 4K want. It will record that high but at 15fps. It will do 2.7k at 30fps, or 1080 at 60fps or 30fps. Like the Drift it has a rotation system which means the picture is always level no matter what angle it is mounted at, has incredible battery, can either use its own mounts or an adapter for GoPro ones.

Ride_NZ

Wannabie Member
Oct 11, 2015
New Zealand
I ride a
OK so I've bought the Osmo Action after comparing it to the Hero 8 which didn't do much for me and after hearing they run hot... well, we shall see how durable the DJI is, I shudder to think what their customer service is like if I ever need help, I'll post once I have it set up on one of my lids

Reactions: RideOnTwo and HRMV

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
OK so I've bought the Osmo Action after comparing it to the Hero 8 which didn't do much for me and after hearing they run hot... well, we shall see how durable the DJI is, I shudder to think what their customer service is like if I ever need help, I'll post once I have it set up on one of my lids
I'll be interested to read what you think of the Osmo Action. The FoV is what put me off it TBH, it looks to have some good specs though!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R-Rated Camera Setups 18

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts