Solar Bear 2018

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Hi folks,

Each winter we run the Solar Bear competition, it’s designed to encourage riders to get out on their bikes in the worse weather, or for those in equatorial, tropical or southern hemispherical places, a chance to rub it in.

Much like the Sunny Bear, there are challenges beginning with a letter, and we want your suggestions to pick from to get it going.

Due to a later Sunny Bear, we’ll probably run this from around Christmas until February/March time.

No cash prizes for this one, but the winner gets the coveted trophy, and runners up get videos shared on Facebook.

So.

SOLAR BEAR

GOGOGO!

Reactions: R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Snow riding vid
Odd things that help you keep riding through winter
Liberating rides
Adventurous riding, go somewhere cool that is unusual for your bike type
Roar, be a lion, sing to the hills of Motovlog.com and the Solar Bear Challenge!

Bring your friends, get them to shout out the Solar Bear Challenge
Edit a video from someone who has entered the Solar Bear Challenge to make it "cool" or "funny"
Arrange a meet up
Reverse, make a video in reverse that explains Solar Bear

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Snow riding vid
Odd things that help you keep riding through winter
Liberating rides
Adventurous riding, go somewhere cool that is unusual for your bike type
Roar, be a lion, sing to the hills of Motovlog.com and the Solar Bear Challenge!

Bring your friends, get them to shout out the Solar Bear Challenge
Edit a video from someone who has entered the Solar Bear Challenge to make it "cool" or "funny"
Arrange a meet up
Reverse, make a video in reverse that explains Solar Bear

Hey, some of us really do not get snow until later in the "winter" season, if even then. Thanks a lot global warming. . .

Reactions: HippoDrone

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Hang on folks, I have had very little sleep...
business-commerce-motorcycle-motorbike-bike-biker-harleys-jknn477_low.jpg

S - Sight seeing some holiday decorations while having your bike decorated for the holiday, like a one person parade.
O - Offer 5 random people rides in cold weather. See if you get anyone to go.
L - show your bike a little Love. Take it on a date. Just the two of you like old times. Tell it how special it is to you.
A - Approach a motorcop in the cold and see if they tell you how they cope with cold weather riding.
R - Review your cold weather gear know more than 3 items please)

B - Bust a move (by your bike) in a public place until someone looks. Feel free to make a sign and accept donations.
E - ride to a place that serves ice cream/frozen treats. Buy a frozen treat and eat it outside by your bike. Extra points if someone comments how goofy your must be
A - ride to your local bike hangout/shop and Ask three riders what the coldest temp they would ride in and why.
R - Repair/replace/maintain. Shoot a short video showing how you keep your bike functioning and happy (different from the date video) and I am not judging you... :confused:

For you folks in warmer climates, ask the cop how they deal with the heat. Also substitute a hot cocoa or other beverage for the frozen treat while acting like it is freezing cold weather out.

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
A - Approach a motorcop in the cold and see if they tell you how they cope with cold weather riding.

A summary of how that would go down here in the UK:

Biker: "How do you cope with cold weather riding?"
Cop: "IS THAT A NUMBER-PLATE 1" SMALLER THAN THE LEGAL LIMIT!!!!!!!!?"

- True Story.

db3f4a072204aab2d568a483ebeb0e72.jpg

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
I can guarantee that to get done for a small plate, you will have been riding like a dick and they couldn’t pin it on you.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Yea approach a cop in my state.

There's a trip to jail.

Wow! It seems a change is in order then. I suggest dress codes be relaxed...

fifi.jpg

Seriously, if it is as bad as not being able to chat with Johnny Law about their bike then a spoof of what you think such interaction would be like would be fun.

Last edited:

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Let me give you an example.

The Australian motogp was on this past weekend. Here is what the police did.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...y/news-story/7e0479a75d8873e94956e29a3e0e95f7

Also in the past they have pulled over every bike on the island for a “licence check”

Holy Smokes Snoke! So how many bikers were there and how many arrested or beaten or coming up missing? :p I think the article nailed the need for an increased presence just fine with this bit of information:

"
He said last year 27 people lost their lives on Victorian roads in October.

Forty-two motorcyclists, one pillion passenger and three off-road riders have died so far this year which is twice as many riders for the same time last year."

But debating who has the friendliest cops is not what this thread is about is it. We are here to make suggestions and let the council of elders decide on the sacrfices needed to appease the biker gods. Since some of us may be living in an occupied police states, I offer an alternative to the letter "A". Instead of asking a motorcycle officer how they cope with riding in the cold/heat - Accessorize your bike and outfit as if you were going to ride in a circus parade. Ride it through an urban area in traffic and wave to all you see. Record the smiles and waves back.

51854020_a72ddabe55_z.jpg

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
So guys and gals, any more suggestions for Solar Bear video challenges? :)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Come on folks, get some ideas in, this is to promote your channels so we need ideas for the challenges. So many of you have said recently you are up for the next Sunny Bear Challenge, that isn't for ages but the Solar Bear Challenge is soon.... and am sure you can come up with better challenges than I suggested! :)

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Ok, so I will not be participating in this one, and I do not know what challenges have there been before, so do not hit me in the face, if something has been done already.

sand - ride on sand (and survive)
organize - organize a group ride
laugh - laugh loudly at unsuspecting people (so they can hear you)
abroad - Go across the border, or if that is not possible, talk about last time you were abroad on a motorcycle, or plans of next trip abroad.
rant - rant about too much ranting
bus stop - find a bus stop with name related to solar or bear, and explain the relation.
e-bike - talk about your opinions\experience of electric bikes
anecdote - funniest joke you can tell, and link it to the route you film it on.
repair - show yourself repairing something on your bike, or talk about what did you repair on it (yourself) last.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts