Share A Noobie Vlogging Tip!!

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I like the way you think! With my new mic setup, I can be more emotive (is that even a word?), and thus more entertaining (in my own head).

Now just trying to figure out how to drive more traffic my way on YT. My sub count is just about static at this point.

-John

Arfa

Beginner Biker Adventures
Nov 17, 2020
London
www.beginnerbiker.com
I ride a
Yamaha FZ6
My tip would be cut, cut and cut!
Don't treat your raw footage like a precious thing, don't be afraid to cut. Sometimes taking a short break between shooting and editing can help give you a better perspective on what should be dumped on the cutting room floor.

Super long shots of rolling down a mundane road will not hold an audience. So cut, cut, cut. Cut all but the nicest/most interesting of shots, splice in different shots, shots on and off bike. Sure, there are exceptions: super silky smooth shots of beautiful scenery, a good voice over that takes focus (so boring footage is just a backdrop) or a longer piece of action unfolding (e.g. moto race).

Be critical, cut it all down. Shoot much, present little. Few people have the talent to produce super long 'directors cut' vids that hold attention.
On a recent video, I cut 314Gb of 1080p footage from 10 days down to a 20 min video! Even then stats from my YT analytics on those who watched the entire video are low...

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I agree! I kept about 5-10% of the footage I actually shoot (5 hour ride became 15 mins). Currently, I'm starting and stopping recording via gopro remote. With that method, out of 2 hour ride I'll have about 20-30 mins of footage, and of that, maybe 10 minutes makes it into the final cut.

I've still got a few vlogs I'm cutting down from October, and it's amazing how much I've grown as a vlogger in the last 45-60 days! So much footage hitting the digital cutting room floor!

-John

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Don't treat your raw footage like a precious thing, don't be afraid to cut. Sometimes taking a short break between shooting and editing can help give you a better perspective on what should be dumped on the cutting room floor.

Also a short break between the rendering and rewatching can give you a good perspective.
Quite often the first rendered endvlog doesn't end up on youtube because with the fresh mind i spot an error/mistake or want to alter the flow of a section ;)

Reactions: Drakhen99

jaimieNL

Wannabie Member
Dec 21, 2020
I ride a
Bonneville t100
I agree! I kept about 5-10% of the footage I actually shoot (5 hour ride became 15 mins). Currently, I'm starting and stopping recording via gopro remote. With that method, out of 2 hour ride I'll have about 20-30 mins of footage, and of that, maybe 10 minutes makes it into the final cut.

I've still got a few vlogs I'm cutting down from October, and it's amazing how much I've grown as a vlogger in the last 45-60 days! So much footage hitting the digital cutting room floor!

-John

can the remote trigger two cameras at once?

Reactions: Baldbiker

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Actually, the old remote could control up to 50 cameras at once, but the new one is only capable of controlling 5.

I can confirm that the new remote CAN control a Hero 8 and Hero 9 simultaneously, at least in my testing. I have yet to use it in the field, however.

Also, even though I shot some footage as a test, I haven't checked to see how close to synced up they are. If you have to do ANY multicam syncing manually (setting in/out points or lining things up), then that negates it as an efficiency, in my opinion.

-John

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
Don't name your channel after the brand of your bike!!!

Most people chop and change, we crash, stolen, sell and most don't every get the same bike again. Here, I will change your username but on places like Youtube, you can't change custom URLS etc

You could then lose followers and all sorts as your channel name turns into something completely unrelated

Post your tip below
Omg this one is so true and I am a living testament to it. Im on my fourth name for the same channel now. Kept naming myself after my bike. Kept getting new bikes! It was dumb and counterproductive!

Reactions: HippoDrone

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
I also have to think about the numbered titles. My first season was like that. I called myself "Forzaman" after the bike I rode and the videos were named like "Forzaman #34". For 2020 I have been separating into playlists depending on what I've been doing, and was using Season and episode prefix like S3:E4 but usually follow with a title to give identity to the video like "visit to the graveyard". Not sure if the prefix S3:E4 is killing the algorithm or search engine though.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I probably wouldn't number my episodes outside of text in the thumbnail. I try to give my ride videos individual names based on what it is I'm talking about in them. I keep playing with the title/thumbnail/tags combinations to see what works, and have lately gotten some traction on a few of them by doing this. TubeBuddy or VidIQ can help in this regard.

-John

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
I think the original idea of numbering the vids, along with a title was to give anyone following the series a sense of watching them in proper order that they were made. This came in very helpful with some other vlogs I've watched

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I you must number them, put it at the end, not the start of the title. It will ruin the search algorithm otherwise. Something I have found really helpful with titles is putting the bike I am riding in the title as well as an actual video title. It was night and day in getting views to the videos doing that!

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I you must number them, put it at the end, not the start of the title. It will ruin the search algorithm otherwise. Something I have found really helpful with titles is putting the bike I am riding in the title as well as an actual video title. It was night and day in getting views to the videos doing that!

And to further that sentiment, with regards to the CTR - the first 50 characters of the title mean a lot more to the viewer than the last 50, so you can put whatever catchy stuff in the first 50 and then the bike name or whatever in the 2nd 50 characters. This is because YT only displays the first 50 chars.

-John

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
I've been working on this very idea this morning. So glad to see some confirmation of that theory. Many of my videos were starting with something like S3:E4 (season 3, episode 4) then followed by the title. I think it was ruining my search rankings. I've been changing quite a few titles. Lets see what happens.

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT

Super long shots of rolling down a mundane road will not hold an audience. So cut, cut, cut. Cut all but the nicest/most interesting of shots, splice in different shots, shots on and off bike. Sure, there are exceptions: super silky smooth shots of beautiful scenery, a good voice over that takes focus (so boring footage is just a backdrop) or a longer piece of action unfolding (e.g. moto race).

Be critical, cut it all down. Shoot much, present little. Few people have the talent to produce super long 'directors cut' vids that hold attention.
On a recent video, I cut 314Gb of 1080p footage from 10 days down to a 20 min video! Even then stats from my YT analytics on those who watched the entire video are low...
I totally agree with this. Im on my fifth year, although a few of those years I didn't film much, but I have way too many videos with too much riding and babbling footage. Much as I love to think the video is about the ride, someone slumping in their armchair scrolling through youtube videos is just going to scroll on after about 5-10 seconds of that, even if they love motorcycles and love riding. It's way too late to change all those past videos, but looking forward, and by watching successful vloggers vids, I can see that you use no more than 3-5 seconds per shot, and if you want more, then splice them together, and they better have some incredible scenery or dramatic dialogue to hold a viewer. Rolling down a boring country backroad should be put on last priority!

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
Here's one. If you record and edit up a whole series of videos from a trip, don't post them all at once. Save them, space them out. It should help keep your internet presence as well as keep a steady flow of content to your channel. Last year I did a 12 part series of a camping trip and posted them all within a week. Dumb! I should have spread them out and would have had content to post over the winter months instead of making snowblower videos.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Here's one. If you record and edit up a whole series of videos from a trip, don't post them all at once. Save them, space them out. It should help keep your internet presence as well as keep a steady flow of content to your channel. Last year I did a 12 part series of a camping trip and posted them all within a week. Dumb! I should have spread them out and would have had content to post over the winter months instead of making snowblower videos.

I did this with a recent video I finished up. It was 31m long, which is way longer than anyone ever watches my stuff, so I decided to break it in half. I'll be darned if it wasn't almost perfectly set up to do that! I had recorded an intro at the beginning, and what works as an intro as the beginning to Part 2. They've been uploaded & detailed out for weeks now, waiting for a break in my 2/week schedule. One goes live Tuesday, the other goes live next Tuesday.

Now I have a 1hr video that I'll be breaking into 4 or 5 pieces and spacing them out, but I was thinking of publishing one per day, since I have so much other stuff to go up yet.

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts