Share A Noobie Vlogging Tip!!

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
Here's a tip or two I'd like..

How do I know what music I can use on my videos? What is public domain or whatever it's called?
Same goes for logos. What graphics can I use? I am in no way artistic but I can take my way around basic stuff.

Also, I guess this is three, free graphic / picture editing programs so I can make a logo.

There's a YouTube copyright checker thing, also freemusicarchive.org :)

For free photo editing, The GIMP is usually to go to. I hate it though, mainly because i'm trained in Photoshop so doing things take way too long for me compared to what i'm used to

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Here's a tip or two I'd like..

How do I know what music I can use on my videos? What is public domain or whatever it's called?
Same goes for logos. What graphics can I use? I am in no way artistic but I can take my way around basic stuff.

Also, I guess this is three, free graphic / picture editing programs so I can make a logo.

There are also copyright-free music channels on youtube that you can browse.
Works great ;)

Reactions: HippoDrone

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Don't name your channel after the brand of your bike!!!

When I was mulling over what to call my new motovlog channel I almost did this. I really wanted to go with "Goldwing Mengy" or "Winged Mengy". I'm now very glad I didn't. Not that I have any plans to buy a different bike anytime soon, but I do love not being tied to my Wing forever if I DO decide to mix it up.

I've been making motovlogs for almost two months now, and I'd have to say my #1 tip I'd offer to anyone else starting out motovlogging is this:

Ease into it.

Don't try to do too much at the start. Don't try to make Steven Spielberg quality videos right away. Keep it simple while you are learning the ropes because there is so much to learn at the outset. Filming, editing, how youtube works, planning ahead, talking and thinking while riding, shot compositing, B-roll footage. Just start making vlogs and gradually expand your knowledge as you do it. It's going to take time, but as you make more vids and learn more things you will see a gradual improvement. Simply don't rush it, let it evolve naturally.

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
Ease into it.

Don't try to do too much at the start. Don't try to make Steven Spielberg quality videos right away. Keep it simple while you are learning the ropes because there is so much to learn at the outset. Filming, editing, how youtube works, planning ahead, talking and thinking while riding, shot compositing, B-roll footage. Just start making vlogs and gradually expand your knowledge as you do it. It's going to take time, but as you make more vids and learn more things you will see a gradual improvement. Simply don't rush it, let it evolve naturally.

But that's what I enjoy the most! Really proud of some of my editing!!

Seeing as your a bit older than most of us Mengy, you might enjoy the intro to my Deauvlog #13... you might get the reference ;)

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Seeing as your a bit older than most of us Mengy, you might enjoy the intro to my Deauvlog #13... you might get the reference ;)

Was that the one with the Chips intro?

Yeah, I used to watch that all the time, man I am old!!!!

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Make sure you press record xD

Missed 45 min on the Vstrom today >.<

I do have enough, but it is somewhat stupid of me :eek: and a shame to miss that part.

• Haha
Reactions: HippoDrone

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
Hey guys, will add some of my seemingly good action items here if that works. If anyone notices anything I could also improve, then great; otherwise, hoping this can help others so they don't reinvent the wheel that I've gone down.

Three things from today -

1. Created YouTube playlists for my two series -
1590377880598.png

If you go into Playlist Settings > Advanced Settings, you can set it as an official series:
1590377947922.png

If you click the "Auto add" tab, you can also add videos based on titles:
1590377979744.png

2. Applied End Screens to my next video in the above series -
1590378093468.png

* I also saw a video that recommended motion blurring the end of your video so the End Screen gets the focus.

3. Downloaded music from the free YouTube Audio Library -
1590378141965.png

* I read about this and found it at the bottom of the YouTube Studio options; super handy extra music to use.

I'm still fiddling with recording/compressing for VP09 YouTube encoding settings and general quality. Will share my learnings there soon.

TBRD

Throttle Back Rubber Down
Jul 9, 2020
I ride a
2020 BMW S1000XR
As a newbie there is some great stuff here! I am taking my time and not rushing things myself. There truly has been so much to learn already with the hardware as well as the software. Once I got the audio sorted and my camera angles figured I thought I cleared the biggest hurdle...then I got to work with editing and working YT for the first time. I am pleased with my progress and having a ton of fun which is my goal. I don't have a logo yet and that is something I am stuck on. I figure I will solve that one in time.

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I don't have a logo yet and that is something I am stuck on. I figure I will solve that one in time.
Nor did I during the early stages, but then j just took something I saw in my first video and got creative! :D

CubanRider

Wannabie Member
Jul 9, 2020
I ride a
BMW S1000XR
- If you don't like to talk, don't :)

This. In my most viewed videos I'm not saying a word. I have a video just doing a mod in the garage with the camera rolling. I don't say a word yet people really find it helpful because I have a steady camera with good angles. Had I tried to talk, it would have taken me twice as long recording + editing and the video would not have came out as good.

Some of my favorites don't say a word. Schaaf comes to mind.

My advice, keep the camera rolling. Find a way to hook up the GoPro or whatever camera you have to a power bank and keep it rolling every single ride. It's a little tedious at the beginning, but you get used to it and it becomes another pre-ride check. Sometimes you get a camera going because you want to talk about something, but it doesn't feel right because you're forcing it. Other times you're not even thinking about it, and you just end up talking, it feels natural and it makes for better videos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
My advice, keep the camera rolling. Find a way to hook up the GoPro or whatever camera you have to a power bank and keep it rolling every single ride. It's a little tedious at the beginning, but you get used to it and it becomes another pre-ride check. Sometimes you get a camera going because you want to talk about something, but it doesn't feel right because you're forcing it. Other times you're not even thinking about it, and you just end up talking, it feels natural and it makes for better videos.

Honestly, my camera has been rolling every single second on the motorcycle for years, almost every single second xD
Powerbank and go.

Sadly a lot of camera's don't seem to be able to charge and record at the same time.
Yet my 8 year old Drift can >,<

AndrewF

The Broke Petrol Head
Jul 10, 2020
Cork, Ireland
I ride a
2007 Suzuki V-Strom dl650
Im Still a noobie so here is what I have learned and What I would change if I had my time over, some may disagree

1. All you need to start is your phone, selfie stick and some form of editing software

2. Make videos you never intend to post just to get used to the process, some videos i thought would be great i ended up hating but I learned from everything i did

3. Research - between this site an YT videos the knowledge is out there don't struggle early on this could put you off, ask questions, motovloggers are friendly people and always seem willing to help

4. Dont spend a fortune on equipment at the start, you can always upgrade as you go, i am posting videos but could definitely use a better camera(s) and mic. If you have too much invested it can create a lot of pressure .. I will upgrade as I go but can still keep recording and posting while i am saving pennys

5. Take the time to build supporting facebook and insta, tip i pick up here and has helped a lot

6. Ride your bike with all your equipment set up but turned off until you get comfortable with it being there, my first ride recording was a horrible ride with horrible footage cause I was to conscience of the camera and mic and didn't give proper focus to either riding or vlogging

7. Join and interact on forums related to your content, get yourself known on these sites they are key viewers.. my highest views are a how to I shared to modify the exhaust on my vstrom which I shared on all the forums I had been a member of before even having the idea to vlog.

8. Dont record or vlog every ride (I guess this is a personal choice ) I bet you were a biker before a motovlogger and you biked for the love of it. What I always enjoyed about riding was being out on my bike, helmet on and no one disturbing me, no phone calls, no news headline, no stupid over payed pop artists just me and the road.

9. Know what your channel is about, I've been watching youtube for years and some channels I've stayed subbed to

10. External hard drive and back up - one of my early videos has a bad spelling mistake in the wording overlays but all the raw footage and working projects ( filmora ) have been deleted and I cant remake

11. Most import enjoy it, its a hobby ( maybe it will become bigger ) and hobbies are ment to be fun

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Man, wish I'd read some of these earlier, but I'll toss my limited knowledge into the ring!

1. Try out different editing software packages. I started with VSDC, then moved to HitFilm Express, and then found DaVinci Resolve ... Resolve is AWESOME! Sure, it'll crash occasionally, but I've been using it for months now and it's gotten to the point where my editing is much better and easier.

2. Don't post it all to YouTube. Some of your videos just won't be up to your standards, whether it be the location or the talking. Don't fret.

3. Do some scripting or rehearsals prior to hitting record. Or, record multiple takes. I'll usually do 2-4 takes of a given topic, because my speech gets more refined as the takes go. Sometimes the 1st take is the best, sometimes the 3rd, and sometimes the footage from one take is good but the audio from another is good, and if it's an off-bike shot (like a bike walkaround), you can mix & match in the editor.

4. Practice, practice, practice.

5. Get a GoPro Smart Remote, if you're using a GoPro. I generally know which road I want to record on for a given video, so I'll fire up the GoPro and when I get close, or see something interesting on the way, I'll hit record for that section. Without a power pack, this almost doubles battery life.

6. Carry spare batteries.

7. Think of creative ways to get the shot you're looking for. I wanted to do a "setup your gear" video, and I thought it would be really neat to have one of my videos playing on a cardboard placard I was holding, so I spent about 8 hours in the editor to figure out how to do that - and it turned out fantastic!

8. Do an audio test before leaving. The GoPro Hero 8 will not record audio if it's not 100% seated into the Media Mod. This caught me out a couple of times. Now I do a 3-second audio test, view it, and then hit the road. Saves me time & trouble.

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts