Share A Noobie Vlogging Tip!!

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
Alright, I've got a few tips.

Tether your camera! I once lost a gopro to the bottom of a lake because I had it chest mounted while wakeboarding and didn't think that it needed to be tethered.
What I've done now with my helmet cam is I've tied a string to the camera and made a loop on the end of it. I then just stick my chin strap through the loop and then if it were to fall off, it would just hang by the string on the chin strap and save me a lot of money. If you make the string the right length then you won't even be able to tell that it's there when riding and if it's short enough then it won't be too visible.

Put all of your videos on YT into a playlist of some sort. Even if that playlist is just 'misc'. It makes it way eaiser to find videos to watch when looking at someone's channel. So many times I'll be checking out someone's channel trying to find videos of theirs to watch and they don't have them all put into playlists. If it's not listed in a playlist then the only way to find it is by endlessly scrolling through every single uploaded video. Often times I'll look at someone's playlists and think that that's all of their videos when really I'm missing so many other great videos that I then never see because they aren't archived into an easy format to find.

Make a lot of How To and Review videos. Those are what get searched for on YouTube. It's where you will bring in the majority of your traffic. I had a gaming channel on YouTube in highschool, guess what my top three most viewed videos were? All three were of them were of the "How To" sort. #1 has 919,000 views, #2 has 235,000 and #3 has 215,000. All three of those videos have terrible production value. Nobody can watch them without cringing. But, those videos are so successful because they are exactly what people were searching for and they helped those people. If your channel can be found by searching for something then you won't need to advertise. People will find you on their own and then they will watch your other random videos and if they like what you do they may stay.

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Harley Davidson Iron 833
Always always save a copy of your recording to either your desktop or hard drive before editing. My wife and I were filming our son in the backyard, we ran out of space on the camera and I assumed that the footage on the camera was already uploaded into our external hard drive. Not the case, I had already spent about an hour editing that footage directly from the SD card and after deleting it the project I created was complete wash.

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Always always save a copy of your recording to either your desktop or hard drive before editing. My wife and I were filming our son in the backyard, we ran out of space on the camera and I assumed that the footage on the camera was already uploaded into our external hard drive. Not the case, I had already spent about an hour editing that footage directly from the SD card and after deleting it the project I created was complete wash.
I would also say to keep a backup of the final video. You never know when YouTube will delete the video or the entire channel.

Mr. G

Essential G
Nov 19, 2017
I ride a
V-Star 1300
If you want AWESOME sound in your videos, strap a mic underneath your passenger seat with fur and record it with your phone (you need a TRRS plug) or with your camera with 3.5mm jack.
The sound is 100% windless and it sounds awesome!
Wow!

808MLS

@808MotoLifeStylez
Apr 15, 2019
Hawaii
808motolifestylez.com
I ride a
2018 BMW S1KRR
2015 Harley Davidson FLHXS
One thing I will do is repeat some things that I say 2 or 3 times. If you stumble on your words don't sweat it, just say it again until you get it right! Also talk louder than normal, there are many vloggers who I can't understand because they are talking too soft for me to hear them clearly.
Soooo very true... but sometimes my song comes on and then I'm like... oooppppssss... it's just something I incorporate into my edits. lol

• Haha
Reactions: HippoDrone

MotoGinji

Wannabie Member
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Special Edition
The one tip I know that helped me make my vlogs more enjoyable to watch is:
"Vary your voice". Don't be loud but talk energetic/ interesting so people dont get bored of your monotone voice. You can talk about the most interesting topic in the world that will win you the Noble price. But if you talk about it in a monotone and nervous like voice, then people will just switch off.

themagpie

As the Magpie Flies
Jun 18, 2019
Portland, OR & Corvallis, MT
www.asthemagpieflies.com
I ride a
2016 Honda CB500x, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800xc, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 1980 Suzuki GS850gl, Batavus Moped, 1972 Honda CB175
Understand the Basics of the Narrative Plot:

1. Introduction
  2. Rising Action
  3. Climax
  4. Falling Action
  5. Resolution
If you’re going to be creating a series, you should be thinking of this Story Arc as a kind of idea overlaying the whole series, but also making sure that the introduction/reintroduction and a kind of rising and falling action is included in each episode. Videos in a series are a great place to utilize cliffhangers that keep people wanting to know what happens next, and keeps them coming back for the next video.

As Motovloggers STORY is the most important element of keeping an audience's attention. If they feel cheated out of an ending, out of any important details, or even an introduction that didn't catch their interest, they're out.

Try making sure you give a brief introduction to yourself (for new viewers who don't know who you are) and a quick "this is what we're talking about" or "we're going to go try and do this" then your intro then jump into the story, topic etc. The end of the video is for you to give your call to action (ie go buy my merch, like subscribe comment) try not to give more than one or two. If you give your audience something to respond to like a question directed towards your audience at the end, you'll get more engagement than if you just say "make sure you like comment and sub", give them direction.

One of the golden rules of filmmaking is ‘Show, Don’t Tell’. I take this as a strong suggestion. It’s important to have visuals for your audience to look at that is relevant - they'll get bored looking at the same thing that isn't related to what you're talking about - but also you need to remember that your audience are not mind readers, so remember to let them in on what is happening.

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
As soon as a video goes live watch the analytics.
If it's performing far worse than you expected, remove the video and try changing things like the title, thumbnail, description, etc. You've probably done something to mess up the algorithm making YT not want to push your video. It's far better to remove and fix a video than to miss out on all the potential views.

Reactions: themagpie

themagpie

As the Magpie Flies
Jun 18, 2019
Portland, OR & Corvallis, MT
www.asthemagpieflies.com
I ride a
2016 Honda CB500x, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800xc, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 1980 Suzuki GS850gl, Batavus Moped, 1972 Honda CB175
@FloridaMan YES!
The first 48hrs a video goes live is the most vital. Make sure you don't have a lot going on when you post a new video so you can be on top of responding to ALL of the comments. It does make a huge difference in how much YT pushes your video.

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
@FloridaMan YES!
The first 48hrs a video goes live is the most vital. Make sure you don't have a lot going on when you post a new video so you can be on top of responding to ALL of the comments. It does make a huge difference in how much YT pushes your video.
You're 100% correct. The more engagement there is the higher value your views are to advertisers. The more money YouTube is making off your video, the more they will push it.
Also, everytime you reply to a comment that person will then come back making another view and possibly another comment. And when YouTube sees that people are not just viewing your video once, but they keep coming back to it they will push it even more.

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I would also say to keep a backup of the final video. You never know when YouTube will delete the video or the entire channel.
This is the only thing I keep hold of for this reason, and the fact that YouTube compresses my video to buggery haha!

Reactions: MotoGinji

MotoGinji

Wannabie Member
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Special Edition
This is the only thing I keep hold of for this reason, and the fact that YouTube compresses my video to buggery haha!
Yeah the youtube compress is really bad. Even if you download it from the youtube studio. Doing compilation videos after a year with videos you no longer have really is difficult with that low quality youtube compression

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
What I recommend is hold onto the finished video, which is only usually a few gigabytes and delete all extra footage that's leftover. That way you can make compilations and such from the full uncompressed file.

Skant153

Wannabie Member
Feb 22, 2020
Rochester, NY
www.sandycreekmanor.com
I ride a
97 CBR 900RR
98 VFR800
98 Valkyrie
07 VT1100
quick note for anyone making a vlog who wants a website. you can make a free one on wordpress, weebly, squarepsace etc. you all probably already know that but it's a good way to get started with something simple. the free address has the host in the url but eventually you can pay to get rid of that.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
quick note for anyone making a vlog who wants a website. you can make a free one on wordpress, weebly, squarepsace etc. you all probably already know that but it's a good way to get started with something simple. the free address has the host in the url but eventually you can pay to get rid of that.

A good running website could gain revenue as well.
Or be used as a base to sell stickers/merch.

I don't use it, but i know some people really work with that stuff.

Skant153

Wannabie Member
Feb 22, 2020
Rochester, NY
www.sandycreekmanor.com
I ride a
97 CBR 900RR
98 VFR800
98 Valkyrie
07 VT1100
i haven't found any hosting with free eCommerce built in but i haven't done an exhaustive search by any means. would be cool to find one. i've got a site for my bee keeping and woodworking where i show my work and just have a contact for people to get things made. free but clunky way around it.

Skant153

Wannabie Member
Feb 22, 2020
Rochester, NY
www.sandycreekmanor.com
I ride a
97 CBR 900RR
98 VFR800
98 Valkyrie
07 VT1100
Here's a tip or two I'd like..

How do I know what music I can use on my videos? What is public domain or whatever it's called?
Same goes for logos. What graphics can I use? I am in no way artistic but I can take my way around basic stuff.

Also, I guess this is three, free graphic / picture editing programs so I can make a logo.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Here's a tip or two I'd like..

How do I know what music I can use on my videos? What is public domain or whatever it's called?
Same goes for logos. What graphics can I use? I am in no way artistic but I can take my way around basic stuff.

Also, I guess this is three, free graphic / picture editing programs so I can make a logo.
YouTube has an audio library you can use for music, and even sound effects. Some editing software also has music you can use for free too.
Not sure what you mean by logos/graphics?
The GIMP is a free editing program which is really quite cool. I use it to make .png images etc and to help with thumbnails etc.

Reactions: themagpie

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts