Setup for Capturing the Best Sound while Riding

zonkiel

Wannabie Member
Oct 13, 2021
I ride a
Slow Bike
Guys one question that i just thought of. If you connect the headphone jack of a Recorder to the mic input of the gopro media mod, does that mean that it records directly without having to sync after the fact?

Also since sound comes through the headphone jack with the single press of a button without having to hit record button twice, so i can record in monitor mode this way?

Skipshift

Perpetual Rookie
Aug 23, 2021
Arkansas, USA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2012 gsxr 600
Hmm. That's an interesting question. Provided you have all the correct TRS / TRRS connections, you likely could get audio into the GoPro this way.
My concern would be with the recorder output being powered it may cause distortion on the GoPro. I cannot remember if the GoPro has an option for a powered mic, but if it did work out, this would be a nice shortcut for some scenarios.
I may try this with my DR10L later to see if it works how I think it will.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
OK, I had a response written but had to re-read your post. That's an interesting test, and I would assume it would work just fine.

The GoPro doesn't care what's plugged into it. If it makes sound and is plugged into the mic port on the Media Mod, it should record it.

I have plugged a RODE Wireless Go [I know, not the same thing] plugged into the Media Mod on one of my GoPros [Hero 9/Hero 10] and if the RODE is off, the GoPro's little audio level meter on the back shows bupkis, zlnch, nada. Turn the RODE on, and then it shows there's audio coming through.

Same principle. But I haven't had my coffee yet, so I could be flat wrong.

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
It should work providing when you have headphones plugged into the audio recorder you can hear what it is listening to in monitor mode, and possibly have the added bonus of the one touch record working with external audio too as the voice recorder is powered (GoPro cameras prefer powered mics when running external audio, so it should be fine, and have the added bonus that you can set your own gain to get the right balance).

zonkiel

Wannabie Member
Oct 13, 2021
I ride a
Slow Bike
The only thing that i consider to be bad, in this scenario is that you are on monitor mode. Which means that audio is not being recorded. So if the connections gets loose, like a cable disconnects from either end you dont have a backup stored on the recorder. So i need to be sure that despite all those vibrations on the bike, the cable stays put

As for the connections, so i guess i need for both sides to be TRRS? Or just TRS

Hmm. That's an interesting question. Provided you have all the correct TRS / TRRS connections, you likely could get audio into the GoPro this way.
My concern would be with the recorder output being powered it may cause distortion on the GoPro. I cannot remember if the GoPro has an option for a powered mic, but if it did work out, this would be a nice shortcut for some scenarios.
So did you a chance to try it out and see if this works.

Skipshift

Perpetual Rookie
Aug 23, 2021
Arkansas, USA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2012 gsxr 600
I have!
I recorded a few different things / different environments to see how it will handle different volumes. I will be dumping the videos off of the Hero 10 tonight to give them a listen.
Just using the replay on the GoPro there is for sure audio, but I will be checking to see the quality this evening.
Should have some results to post up tonight if I don't forget :D

- Edit: I forgot to mention, my test is using the external mic adapter since I do not have the media mod. I would assume similar if not identical results though.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
GoPro requires a TRS input, not sure what your voice recorder uses.
Glad to hear it worked! :)

Reactions: Drakhen99

Skipshift

Perpetual Rookie
Aug 23, 2021
Arkansas, USA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2012 gsxr 600
I'm happy to report that the audio test was mostly a success.
@zonkiel I believe it would do what you are looking for with some testing. My bike test was with the mic clipped behind the wind screen of my GSXR to help cut out wind noise, and was able to capture some pretty solid bike sounds. I did not test the mic toward the rear of the bike, in hindsight this would have been a better test for your purpose, but I believe with some testing it would do quite well.
The audio is naturally synced with the video through the Gopro, but allows cleaner and more adjustable audio than the Gopro itself.

TLDR; It worked, and the Tascam DR10L was filtering out lows and highs just as it normally would while recording. That meant no wind noise or high peaks during my recordings. More info below for those interested in specifics.

My test setup as follows: Purple Panda Lav mic > TRRS to TRS adaptor > Tascam DR-10L > TRS Male to Male cable in the DR-10L monitor output > GoPro external mic adaptor > GoPro Hero 10

DR-10L settings as follows:
Mic Gain - Low
Low Cut - On
Limiter - On
Auto Level - Off
Sample rate - 48kHz
Bit length - 24bit
WAV format

Test videos included a hiking trail, working in my garage with hammers, air tools, and the like, and a motorcycle ride.
Each test scenario was recorded at 4 output levels from the DR-10L, 25%/50%/75%/100%
All tests had pretty horrible audio at 100% output as expected.
- (Peaks, crackles, and quiet sounds over amplified.)
Air tools and banging hammers peaked and crackled at 75% output.
- (More sublte noises like crunching leaves and motorcycle sounds were more inline with their natural ranges.)
Very smooth and filtered audio at 50%.
- (All sounds fell into their normal volume ranges and gave a natural sound)
Quiet but smooth audio at 25%
- (Would likely require amplifying audio in post processing)

Using the external mics of the Hero 10 as a baseline for decibel output the recorded audio came in roughly -4dB at 50% volume and roughly -12dB at 25% volume.

The PPanda mic has been pretty sensitive in all of my other tests, so a less sensitive mic would likely yield better results on top of the adjustability of using the external recorder as a filter of sorts. Your mileage may vary as always, but I believe it's a successful test.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Brilliant, this is an awesome post, have stickied it, hopefully will help other people! :)

Reactions: Skipshift

zonkiel

Wannabie Member
Oct 13, 2021
I ride a
Slow Bike
As for the mic i think i'm going for Shure, although people think the Sennheiser might be marginally better. Here is a video comparison between the best arguably lav mics in the 50+ Euro Range

I've also found a video which i cant pull it up right now, that showed a particular usbc to mic adapter for smartphone (cause most of them dont work as advertised) which you could connect the lav mic to the phone and possible save yourself from getting the recorder.

Cause for the love of me i cant really choose. I was thinking of going for Zoom H4n Pro, then said id get the H1N, then i thought of getting the Tascam Dr-40X, and finally i was closing in on the DR-44WL but im not sure if this overkill or not.

I'm happy to report that the audio test was mostly a success.
@zonkiel I believe it would do what you are looking for with some testing. My bike test was with the mic clipped behind the wind screen of my GSXR to help cut out wind noise, and was able to capture some pretty solid bike sounds. I did not test the mic toward the rear of the bike, in hindsight this would have been a better test for your purpose, but I believe with some testing it would do quite well.
The audio is naturally synced with the video through the Gopro, but allows cleaner and more adjustable audio than the Gopro itself.

TLDR; It worked, and the Tascam DR10L was filtering out lows and highs just as it normally would while recording. That meant no wind noise or high peaks during my recordings. More info below for those interested in specifics.

My test setup as follows: Purple Panda Lav mic > TRRS to TRS adaptor > Tascam DR-10L > TRS Male to Male cable in the DR-10L monitor output > GoPro external mic adaptor > GoPro Hero 10

DR-10L settings as follows:
Mic Gain - Low
Low Cut - On
Limiter - On
Auto Level - Off
Sample rate - 48kHz
Bit length - 24bit
WAV format

Test videos included a hiking trail, working in my garage with hammers, air tools, and the like, and a motorcycle ride.
Each test scenario was recorded at 4 output levels from the DR-10L, 25%/50%/75%/100%
All tests had pretty horrible audio at 100% output as expected.
- (Peaks, crackles, and quiet sounds over amplified.)
Air tools and banging hammers peaked and crackled at 75% output.
- (More sublte noises like crunching leaves and motorcycle sounds were more inline with their natural ranges.)
Very smooth and filtered audio at 50%.
- (All sounds fell into their normal volume ranges and gave a natural sound)
Quiet but smooth audio at 25%
- (Would likely require amplifying audio in post processing)

Using the external mics of the Hero 10 as a baseline for decibel output the recorded audio came in roughly -4dB at 50% volume and roughly -12dB at 25% volume.

The PPanda mic has been pretty sensitive in all of my other tests, so a less sensitive mic would likely yield better results on top of the adjustability of using the external recorder as a filter of sorts. Your mileage may vary as always, but I believe it's a successful test.
Thanx Bro that is really great. Is there anywhere we can see those videos as well and get a taste?

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I did something simple to get good audio with my setup, I just glued foam over the mic holes on my Hero 8 and it filters out most of the wind noise. Not only does it capture my voice great but it also does a fantastic job of capturing the sounds of the Goldwing too.

zonkiel

Wannabie Member
Oct 13, 2021
I ride a
Slow Bike
I did something simple to get good audio with my setup, I just glued foam over the mic holes on my Hero 8 and it filters out most of the wind noise. Not only does it capture my voice great but it also does a fantastic job of capturing the sounds of the Goldwing too.
Well in that way i suppose you will be able to get similar results with the mediamod which comes with a foamy mic. But how can this give good results f wind is hitting the mic at 200kph and more. Do you have a windsshield on your bike? Cause mine doesn have one and im eating all the air that comes my way

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Well in that way i suppose you will be able to get similar results with the mediamod which comes with a foamy mic. But how can this give good results f wind is hitting the mic at 200kph and more. Do you have a windsshield on your bike? Cause mine doesn have one and im eating all the air that comes my way

HAHA, I can answer for Mengy! He DOES have a windshield on his bike!

I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but in my "Moto Vlog Gear Setup" playlist on my YT channel, there are a few audio test videos I put up, in my progression from my first setup to my current one, which works fantastically well IMHO.

Feel free to peruse it and see if anything there is applicable to your situation - I have 2 unfaired bikes and 1 faired bike, and my latest setup works best with the faired one of course, but does help with the unfaired bikes.

-John

zonkiel

Wannabie Member
Oct 13, 2021
I ride a
Slow Bike
Ok guys so today i was watching videos about the Mediamod vs mic adapter. It seems that audio jack of media mod, is right besides the screen on the opposite side of the lens and not on the sides. If you got the camera mounted on the chin of the helmet, is it going to be possible for the cable to protrude from that point?

BTW my man how come youre using the DR-10, its almost the same price as higher end recorders and it doesnt even have a mic onboard. As far as i know these are used on studio sets, since theyre so portable, so that guests and hosts can easily tuck them under their shirts. But is it good for the money like other Recorders

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Ok guys so today i was watching videos about the Mediamod vs mic adapter. It seems that audio jack of media mod, is right besides the screen on the opposite side of the lens and not on the sides. If you got the camera mounted on the chin of the helmet, is it going to be possible for the cable to protrude from that point?
I had no issue when I was using the Media Mod with an external mic on my chin

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
As for the mic i think i'm going for Shure, although people think the Sennheiser might be marginally better. Here is a video comparison between the best arguably lav mics in the 50+ Euro Range

Caus1Ne for the love of me i cant really choose. I was thinking of going for Zoom H4n Pro, then said id get the H1N, then i thought of getting the Tascam Dr-40X, and finally i was closing in on the DR-44WL but im not sure if this overkill or not.
I'd honestly not spend a lot of money on a mic, it really isn't necessary, a £6 mic will work fine for what you intend doing, you just need a deadcat on it.
I also think you are possibly overthinking which voice recorder to get, the Tascam DR05 is around £75 and will do what you want from it.

Skipshift

Perpetual Rookie
Aug 23, 2021
Arkansas, USA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2012 gsxr 600

I've also found a video which i cant pull it up right now, that showed a particular usbc to mic adapter for smartphone (cause most of them dont work as advertised) which you could connect the lav mic to the phone and possible save yourself from getting the recorder.

Cause for the love of me i cant really choose. I was thinking of going for Zoom H4n Pro, then said id get the H1N, then i thought of getting the Tascam Dr-40X, and finally i was closing in on the DR-44WL but im not sure if this overkill or not.

Thanx Bro that is really great. Is there anywhere we can see those videos as well and get a taste?
So I uh... I'm bad at thinking ahead.. and after I analyzed the clips I deleted them.. :oops: I wasn't thinking of needing them again after noting that info down.
I was actually thinking of putting together a video using different mics also though. The panda mic is just what I had handy to toss on there. I haven't had the best audio from mine, though I know people that do have great audio with them. I figured if I could make useable audio with that, then the other mics would be at least that good.
I'll roll the idea around in my head for a little bit and think of some good tests that don't involve making people listening to a chubby guy panting on a hiking trail for 2 minutes at a time :D

Skipshift

Perpetual Rookie
Aug 23, 2021
Arkansas, USA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2012 gsxr 600

BTW my man how come youre using the DR-10, its almost the same price as higher end recorders and it doesnt even have a mic onboard. As far as i know these are used on studio sets, since theyre so portable, so that guests and hosts can easily tuck them under their shirts. But is it good for the money like other Recorders

Missed the DR10L question while replying earlier.
I use it for other purposes where having a small and light recorder is a plus. For instance putting a mic on a runner or instructor where a larger form factor or more weight would be cumbersome.
I had used one before and the included lav mic was pretty good and I knew what it was capable of, rather than try something new, I went with a product I already had experience with. I like it for the money.
Personal preference I guess.

Reactions: YBGuy

mymotorrad

Wannabie Member
Mar 26, 2021
Fountain Hills AZ
www.mymotorrad.com
I ride a
2009 R1200RT
I once tried recording my voice with my Cardo Freecom +2 to my iPhone 12 Pro Max. The voice sound is better as it has noise cancellation, but it doesn't have enough ambient. Matching it with the camera audio is a little bit of a pain, but yields the better results.

Reactions: YBGuy and Drakhen99

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
I keep my mic with a sponge on it under the helm just to the side of my mouth. It has the least wind noise, picks up vocal audio quite well, and still picks up just enough engine roar to be well mixed, but not overpower my soothing voice.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts