Riding jeans, what should you wear underneath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Currently: 2004 CB 919 - Previous rides - Honda Hornet 600 aka CB599 - Previous: 1999 Honda VTR 250: Previous Honda f4i - Previous: CBR 929 Previous: DRZ400sm: Previous 2006 gsxr 600: Previous 1989 Honda Spada VT250
i have hornee 100% covered kevlar jeans. they are fine

Bloke

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6-S Diversion
Wear armour underneath. They'll protect against abrasion a little, but with no armour the impact will leave you with a massive bruise, also heat buildup is an issue.

Personally, i'd stop being a big fussy girl and wear textile overtrousers, take them off and throw them in a back pack when you're on campus.

I myself wear textile overtrousers everywhere, roll them up with my gloves, shove into my tank bag which doesn't get in the way at all while riding (Buffalo getaway sport tank bag). Carry my helmet and tank bag, wear my black riding boots and my jacket.

Simples, I do this if going to work, the city, even the cinema (though if I can I'll throw my kit in the trunk of a friends car where possible).

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

NewEnglandNinja

Wannabie Member
Oct 20, 2011
I ride a
2000 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Bloke said:
Wear armour underneath. They'll protect against abrasion a little, but with no armour the impact will leave you with a massive bruise, also heat buildup is an issue.
If you saw my first post this was already the plan.

Bloke said:
Personally, i'd stop being a big fussy girl and wear textile overtrousers, take them off and throw them in a back pack when you're on campus.
Very constructive but not an option as there definitely is not room in my bag for my overpants.

Again a locker seems to be the best option if I don't go the jeans route, as I really don't feel like carrying my pants around all day, whether in my backpack or a tank bag, I've got enough crap to carry around.

senthx

Wannabie Member
Jan 8, 2012
Bedfordshire
I ride a
BMW 650 Sertao, Honda XR 250, Suzuki VanVan
Just wear them all day and don't wash them ever, old school style. :D

Bloke

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6-S Diversion
I did, I know, very observant of you.

Consider it a +1 vote for jeans and armour.

I am however at a loss to what the point of your post is, the title "riding jeans what should I wear underneath" seems to suggest that you want feedback on what you should wear underneath riding jeans.

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough?

Question: What should you wear under riding jeans?

Answer: armour and perhaps some underwear.

Addendum: wearing armour shorts + jeans is bloody warm in the uk in summer. So get ready to say hello sweaty crotch!

Maybe you'll have more tolerance than me, but I find the jeans warm, add in my leg armour and my legs are sweaty and it's not comfy to wear all day. (why I prefer overtrousers)

:)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

CLARKY

Wannabie Member
Feb 7, 2012
Canvey Island
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Fj1200
Chuckles85 said:
I wouldn't touch jeans/riding jeans for love nor money. Find a place to put your gear during the day. Surely one of the teachers will be a biker and be willing to look out for you.

I believe I read that the average person when in an accident slides for 4 seconds along the ground tumbling in between

jeans wear through in 0.5 seconds

textiles wear through in 2.5 seconds

leathers wear through in 5 seconds

Take your pick but after a slide skin doesn't just grow back quickly if you go through enough layers, thats why there's nice skin grafts. I'd go for the impracticle route or take the bus.
Kevlar jeans are fine

The textile wears away and the Kevlar holds strong underneath.

As for protection below the knees... You'll generally find that the way you fall it will be your knees, bum sides, back, shoulder blades, chest stomach that will be affected.. One thing to look for is a zip to connect the trousers and jacket together to stop the jacket from rising.

Look for Kevlar jeans with knee pads though.. I warn you, on a hot day you will get very hot... The kevlar Is like having a jumper In your trousers...

Always inspect stitching as this will be what holds it together (you should do this on ANY GEAR.. Fraying threads will affect the gears performance when needed most...

Ps.... Your times for jeans are in regards to normal street jeans... And you made no indication as to the length of time that Kevlar resists friction... Their demo videos show the guy ring dragged for minutes!!!!

(look out for de-gloving injuries though)

jetjackson

Wannabie Member
Feb 17, 2012
Europe atm
www.thegreatgallivant.com
I ride a
F650 GS Twin '08
I wear BMW city jeans. They have memory foam padding in the knees and thighs and are made from Cordura. I read somewhere that cordura worked better than Kevlar as Kev was rigid fibre and did not slide easily and it needs to be able to slide easy to avoid wear - or some explanation like that. Either way I have come off on my beamer jeans and slid along at about 30 kph - no visible damage to the material. I still wear them 3 years after buying them. $350 AUD though - not cheap.

LeedsRider93

Wannabie Member
Jan 29, 2012
Leeds, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2001 Yamaha FZS600S, 2009 Daelim Roadwin Fi
I just use normal kevlar jeans, personally I have no issue with them. Plus they are surprisingly windproof for my motorway commute, too.

RST jeans I find to be the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO