Riding jeans, what should you wear underneath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewEnglandNinja

Wannabie Member
Oct 20, 2011
I ride a
2000 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Alright everybody I've got a question thats been plaguing me ever since I put the bike away for the winter. I intend on commuting to and from school once the weather is nicer but I don't want to look like a power ranger walking around campus :lol: My dads answer to this, well put your riding pants in your saddle bags. He knows of course that I ride a Ninja 250 and don't have any saddle bags, and he loves to bring that up as much as possible :roll:

Now I don't mind wearing/carrying my jacket around since it seems like an ordinary jacket until you touch the elbows or back. I'm also happy to throw my gloves in my backpack. So I started looking around the internet on solutions for non-power ranger pants. Now there are kevlar reinforced riding jeans which I like, but most don't have protection below the knees and Very few also have any kind of hip padding. I also came across a kevlar lines that you wear under normal jeans, but I'd rather not wear 2 layers of pants when its 90 degrees out. My solution thus far is to go with with kevlar reinforced jeans, padded shorts, and knee/shin armor which I linked below. Now I'm more than happy to ride around like that because its a ton better than standard jeans. I was wondering what you all thought about the idea, and any additions, or possibly subtractions :lol: you'd make. My main concern is how comfortable the shots would be and if I could wear them the whole day, if not than it essentially defeats the purpose cause I'd have to change anyways :roll:

Pants
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... Jeans.aspx

Shorts
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... horts.aspx

Knee Armor
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... uards.aspx

Thanks!
-Jeff

JollyRoger

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Ottawa
I ride a
2002 R6
If you can get access to a locker (what will you do with your helmet?) then just buy riding pants and change when you get to school. Perhaps you could come to an arrangement with staff at the school to let you leave your kit somewhere safe for the day and pick it up when you want to leave?

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
Why wouldn't you want to look like a power ranger?

Chuckles85

Wannabie Member
Nov 9, 2011
I ride a
FZ6N
I wouldn't touch jeans/riding jeans for love nor money. Find a place to put your gear during the day. Surely one of the teachers will be a biker and be willing to look out for you.

I believe I read that the average person when in an accident slides for 4 seconds along the ground tumbling in between

jeans wear through in 0.5 seconds

textiles wear through in 2.5 seconds

leathers wear through in 5 seconds

Take your pick but after a slide skin doesn't just grow back quickly if you go through enough layers, thats why there's nice skin grafts. I'd go for the impracticle route or take the bus.

Bikermole

Wannabie Member
Jan 24, 2012
Colchester, Essex
www.youtube.com
I ride a
CBR250R-ABS
When I ride to work, I wear textile trousers (padding on knees) and wear normal jeans underneath, so if you can get a locker you could change. Or a large tankbag would probably take trousers.
I agree with any comments about leathers are best, however I understand they're not comfortable to wear all day at school/work.

NewEnglandNinja

Wannabie Member
Oct 20, 2011
I ride a
2000 Kawasaki Ninja 250
My helmet will be locked to my bike, and the bus isn't an option since it's college, I've been driving my car to and from thus far. Leaving them in someones office could work but since I get here around 7 each day and don't leave until about six, I'd be hard pressed to find a faculty member who is not only there the whole time but is willing to let me leave my crap in their office. I already own/wear proper riding pants and would continue to when I'm just going out to ride. Lockers are an option, sort of, they're dotted all over campus, and I have no idea how you gain access to one or if you even can as a student. I think there may be some specifically for commuters so I'll have to look further into that. My question to you now is what do you do with your gear when you go somewhere you don't have lockers?

Friz said:
Why wouldn't you want to look like a power ranger?

Good point.

NewEnglandNinja

Wannabie Member
Oct 20, 2011
I ride a
2000 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Bikermole said:
When I ride to work, I wear textile trousers (padding on knees) and wear normal jeans underneath, so if you can get a locker you could change. Or a large tankbag would probably take trousers.
I agree with any comments about leathers are best, however I understand they're not comfortable to wear all day at school/work.

How do tank bags work? I've never owned one or had any first hand experience with one. I thought they attached with magnets, but I didn't see how that kept anyone from just grabbing them off your bike, or just opening up the pockets and grabbing your stuff.

Bikermole

Wannabie Member
Jan 24, 2012
Colchester, Essex
www.youtube.com
I ride a
CBR250R-ABS
NewEnglandNinja said:
Bikermole said:

How do tank bags work? I've never owned one or had any first hand experience with one. I thought they attached with magnets, but I didn't see how that kept anyone from just grabbing them off your bike, or just opening up the pockets and grabbing your stuff.

That's all petty much true, my bag has magnets, but they're so strong, theyre tricky to get off unless you know how! For extra security some come with straps to tie to the bike eg under the tank etc. You can also buy tiny padlocks to go through the zoos, which gives more peace of mind.

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
Buy a spare Pillion seat,
Buy a base plate (3 or 4mm thick sheet of Aliminum.)
Buy a Top Box

1. Put your base plate under your pillion seat
2. Drill your Top Box though the pillion seat onto the base plate
3. add a layer of padding to the inside of the Top Box.

You then have space to put your Gear & any other bits & bobs'. When you go on a ride with the mates put your originall pillion seat back on.

You then have a commuter when needed.

Chuckles85

Wannabie Member
Nov 9, 2011
I ride a
FZ6N
take the bag with you? You can get a tail pack and buy a bag protector (a security chain) to secure the bag to the bike, but it wouldn't stop someone knifing it to get into the bag. The only way is to take the bag into college with you, textiles condense down pretty well, maybe you could do as I think blinky did and put your gear in a friends car?

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
Wouldn't leave a tank bag on the bike, I have one which will just about squeez 4 DVD's in, a Disk Lock, an Inhaler, Wallet & Phone.

Yes I know they come in different sizes but, the bigger they are the more they get in the way.) < Persoanlly & you will then have to carry around a lage tank bag if you choose to get the larger size ones.

If someone where to walk upto your bike with a set of keys or maybe a pocket knife they could just cut the straps and away with the bag, or plan ahead & bring sissors.

Tank Bag a no no if you plan on leaving it on the bike.

Chuckles85

Wannabie Member
Nov 9, 2011
I ride a
FZ6N
A locker is going to be the winning item here, or get yourself a clingy girl who will wait for you to arrive at the college, take your gear for you, then meet you when you leave and give you your gear back :p Or there is always the car option :p

Chuckles85

Wannabie Member
Nov 9, 2011
I ride a
FZ6N
There's going to be more nasty skint college kids looking to pimp out their own gear to go chav it up on there newly aquired scooter.

CurlyBlakey

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
South Suffolk, UK
I ride a
2004 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer
Topbox on a ninja 250? SACRILEGE!

I leave my stuff under a set of stairs at school, it's crawling with CCTV so i'd easily track down the culprit should it all be stolen, far rather look a bit silly than have f***ed up legs after a crash!

NewEnglandNinja

Wannabie Member
Oct 20, 2011
I ride a
2000 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Chuckles85 said:
A locker is going to be the winning item here, or get yourself a clingy girl who will wait for you to arrive at the college, take your gear for you, then meet you when you leave and give you your gear back :p Or there is always the car option :p

Haha well thats always an option :D

Bikermole said:
AZZ3R said:
Tank Bag a no no if you plan on leaving it on the bike.

I've never had a problem leaving it on when I'm in town, i once left it for 14 hours and it was still there. And I live in a nasty Essex town :lol:

My school has 20,000 plus students let alone faculty, so one of them is bound to be an ass :roll: And carrying a tank bag around defeats the purpose all together.

AZZ3R said:
Buy a spare Pillion seat,
Buy a base plate (3 or 4mm thick sheet of Aliminum.)
Buy a Top Box

1. Put your base plate under your pillion seat
2. Drill your Top Box though the pillion seat onto the base plate
3. add a layer of padding to the inside of the Top Box.

You then have space to put your Gear & any other bits & bobs'. When you go on a ride with the mates put your originall pillion seat back on.

You then have a commuter when needed.

Thats a fantastic idea, and I wish I could do it but I have the previous generation Ninja with the large one-piece seat.

A locker seems to be the way to go here.

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
Buy a spare seat?

Same principle really, it's more about efficiency & practability than looks. I've not seen the old & new shape Ninja never been a fan of 250's TBH.

NewEnglandNinja

Wannabie Member
Oct 20, 2011
I ride a
2000 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Chuckles85 said:
I wouldn't touch jeans/riding jeans for love nor money. Find a place to put your gear during the day. Surely one of the teachers will be a biker and be willing to look out for you.

I believe I read that the average person when in an accident slides for 4 seconds along the ground tumbling in between

jeans wear through in 0.5 seconds

textiles wear through in 2.5 seconds

leathers wear through in 5 seconds

Take your pick but after a slide skin doesn't just grow back quickly if you go through enough layers, thats why there's nice skin grafts. I'd go for the impracticle route or take the bus.

Well living in New England you don't slide very long before you hit a tree :roll: on the route I take to school the speed limit doesn't go over 45, and is mostly back roads where the trees are very close, which is why I'm more concerned with impact rather than sliding

lauriejennifer

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Kawasaki KLX330sm * Keen BadBoy CX50 * Kawasaki ER-6n
Drayko jeans are designed to last for 5 seconds and are the only CE certified riding jean on the market. They run about $30 more than a half-decent pair, and about $60 than a so-so pair. Worth the extra money if you ask me.

At the last US dealer show, they had a display for these jeans. You know how they displayed them? They had a 600cc sportbike hanging *by two threads*, one on each end of the bike. It's not just the kevlar panels underneath, in other words. The type of "denim" they use is even a unique thread, and it's insanely strong.

Here's the creator/designer/owner of Drayko jeans. I'd say he believes in his product:

DRAYKO-DRIFTERa.jpg

For more (including drag test videos and product listing), here's the website: http://www.drayko.com/

I sell them at work, but I'm not "selling" them here. I also plan on getting a pair. The Sartso jeans I have now are sooooo lame. They are already wearing through to the Kevlar patches in the knees and the butt from just a few months of normal wear.

senthx

Wannabie Member
Jan 8, 2012
Bedfordshire
I ride a
BMW 650 Sertao, Honda XR 250, Suzuki VanVan
wheelie19thmarch104.jpg

dragginjeans.jpg

I wear them a lot of the time, wouldn't wear them on a track day / drag strip etc even if I was allowed as they get too "flap abouty"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts