Relaxed the 'post your video rules' a little - And video threads will show in 'new posts'

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
I've not kept it a secret that the forum has had a battle between people joining to learn, share and interact - Then you have the people who sign up to try and slap videos everywhere with the hope of gaining some subs blah blah

The old rules as such can be found here

Basically, the rules were "You can't just join up and spam, you need to have posted say 5 posts in a week period and then you could 'advertise' your vlog in the post your video section, spam rules relaxed etc.

The member's Vlogs section were also stopped from being found in the 'new posts' section. This gave members the choice to visit this section of their own free will.

For the next month or two, I am going to try this
  • To have the ability to post in your 'post your video' area you need
    • Have at least 30 posts in total
    • Your account must be older than 7 days from registering your account
    • You must have at least 2 likes from 2 different members
    • You must have an avatar uploaded
  • This will stop/slow spammers and 'check my channel' people.

I have now enabled vlogs to show in the 'new posts' section going forwards BUT there is a catch.... The catch is that you have to give to this forum if you want to tap into the member and guest database... We get over 5k visits a day on this site.

The catch is this
  • If you meet the rules above - You will be able to add one thread every three days - This will slow people down and members getting annoyed with videos being posted around the clock.
  • New posts in this section WILL show in the main new posts section aka more coverage, like any other thread.
  • IF you don't visit the site within 14 days, you will be downgraded but upgraded again once you've posted another 10 posts, this will re-enable your ability to post videos

I think this will be a good middle ground that keeps members using the forum while being able to promote their channels in the RIGHT section.

Last edited:

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Cheers Dan, I'll keep an eye on how it goes/feels with the relaxed rules. :)

Reactions: dandoolittle

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I like these changes. Not that I've posted many videos, but this makes it easier for people who like to post regularly, but have already said most of what they have to say, to the active topics :)

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
I'd prefer if the new videos posts were kept separate from other regular discussions though under the "What's New" tab.

I don't post videos much here anyway, and in general my traffic from here to other's videos is through their signature links after interacting with them on the forum and liking them as people in the first place. So it would be nice if there was an toggled option for people like me that want to condense the "What's New" feed to only regular discussions.

Reactions: dandoolittle

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
I'd prefer if the new videos posts were kept separate from other regular discussions though under the "What's New" tab.

I don't post videos much here anyway, and in general my traffic from here to other's videos is through their signature links after interacting with them on the forum and liking them as people in the first place. So it would be nice if there was an toggled option for people like me that want to condense the "What's New" feed to only regular discussions.

That’s actually my thinking BUT it was like that for well over a year and this is just a test for a few weeks.

I don’t really like videos in the feeds but it’s not just my forum so happy to tweak, play and see what happens.

I might see if I can make a custom feed

Reactions: HippoDrone

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
@dandoolittle I don't think I ever saw videos under "new posts" before. They were completely separate. But what I think @Reize meant is, that you have two separate lists, under the "new posts" page. For example, first the regular topics, and then, below that a list of new videos.

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
@dandoolittle I don't think I ever saw videos under "new posts" before. They were completely separate. But what I think @Reize meant is, that you have two separate lists, under the "new posts" page. For example, first the regular topics, and then, below that a list of new videos.
Haha I was actually thinking what @dandoolittle said, customizable "What's New" feeds, but yes I think your idea of just throwing everything there, but putting them in separate stacks might be way easier to do.

pimp

Wannabie Member
Apr 17, 2015
Llanelli Wales UK
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple R 2012
OK a bit confused now, i have been a memebr for a while but have been inactive. Can i post my video, and if so where? lol.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Hi @pimp You need to meet the counts mentioned in the rules above and you need to be an active member to post videos and they go in the "Members Vlogs" section, so you need to be posting a minimum of 5 quality posts a week if you don't visit the site within 14 days, you will be downgraded but upgraded again once you've posted another 10 posts, this will re-enable your ability to post videos to be allowed to share a video. The section for videos can be found here:

https://motovlog.com/forums/members-vlogs.22/

(edited hopefully for clarity)

Last edited:

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
my bad, was reading the wrong bit....

"IF you don't visit the site within 14 days, you will be downgraded but upgraded again once you've posted another 10 posts, this will re-enable your ability to post videos"

So you still need to be a regular poster and come on to the site regularly too

Reactions: Theodor

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts