Pixelating Numberplates?

MotoGinji

Wannabie Member
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Special Edition
My suggestion is, get familiar with how they judge the speed in the videos. Maybe it is not worth blurring the plates, but speedo instead. Should be easier. Also check if your software allows object tracking with blurring, should also make it a bit easier.
In the end, anyone can end up in someones dashcam and still get the fine.
Well its not just the speed. It can be lane splits. Can be revving the bike to hard for nothing. Can be passing a car, it can even be leaning too far in a corner that they can fine you with reckless driving etc. Its all up to the mood of the cop

• Sad
Reactions: RideOnTwo

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Not here in holland, if they see you on video you ride 170km/h and have your numberplate. They can just send the ticket to your home.

Except Boef (i think it was) that normally doesn't happen.
More than enough "illegal" stuff online, unfined.
Check Jur or wheelietime for example.

Boef was a example figure, and he was stupid enough to share it on his personal (and open) social media.
So that was to easy not to fine.
Other then that, they aren't going to find some small @ss youtube channel and spend hours of work into finding illegal stuff and trying to puzzle out how to fine it. ;)

Reactions: MotoGinji

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
I try and stay in the speed limit most of the time, and on my bike it is so easy to see speed on camera the damn numbers are huge, which is good for quick peeks. Kinda BS that they can ticket you for leaning. Do you know that you were leaning at an angle of 32 degrees and the law states that 33 is the limit. Sorry but I have to give you a 1 degree lean ticket and you will probably lose your license for a year as the law states one year per lean angle degree. But officer I was only going 30 in a 35. Sorry Law is the Law, get in the back of the squad car!

MotoGinji

Wannabie Member
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Special Edition
Except Boef (i think it was) that normally doesn't happen.
More than enough "illegal" stuff online, unfined.
Check Jur or wheelietime for example.

Boef was a example figure, and he was stupid enough to share it on his personal (and open) social media.
So that was to easy not to fine.
Other then that, they aren't going to find some small @ss youtube channel and spend hours of work into finding illegal stuff and trying to puzzle out how to fine it. ;)

hmmm i am really inbetween both parties if i should or not

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Man, this is one of the first features I looked for when starting my channel. Any way to anonymize myself. Blurring plates was one of the first tests I did in Resolve when I downloaded it - and it's super easy now to blur a plate through a whole scene.

I recently had a video that took 2.5 hours to blur just plates LOL ... oops. Now I'm on the lookout for a product I can slap onto all my license plates before filming, and remove them after filming, so I won't have to go through that crap again!

-John

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
...Now I'm on the lookout for a product I can slap onto all my license plates before filming, and remove them after filming...
Do you mean you want to ride around with covered license plates? That could get you way more unwanted attention.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Do you mean you want to ride around with covered license plates? That could get you way more unwanted attention.

No, sorry - only for static shots. I do some product reviews, and I end up walking between my truck, my wife's car, and my bikes, and it would be nice to just slap some covers on the plates while they're parked during filming.

-John

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Then the easiest is to have some not too terrible looking rag, that you can just hang over the plate.
If you want to be more fancy, put some magnets with glued on filts, to a sheet of cardboard or plastic, where you can print on your channel logo. Test first that plates in your area are made out of metal, that interacts with magnets

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
I use premier pro and use a blur mask or a clip art to cover the plate if wanted, then use key frame tracking to get the mask to track on the numberplate.
It can be time consuming as it will occasionally loose the track and you have to adapt manually.

Reactions: YBGuy and Drakhen99

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
I use premier pro and use a blur mask or a clip art to cover the plate if wanted, then use key frame tracking to get the mask to track on the numberplate.
It can be time consuming as it will occasionally loose the track and you have to adapt manually.
Key frame tracking works for me sometimes. Depends on the lighting of the video and how stable the license plates are in the shot. If the bikes are all over the place you have to do a lot of custom keyframing to keep the blur over the license plates.

Reactions: HRMV

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Key frame tracking works for me sometimes. Depends on the lighting of the video and how stable the license plates are in the shot. If the bikes are all over the place you have to do a lot of custom keyframing to keep the blur over the license plates.
Absolutely pal, has to be someone I like I order for me to put in that kind of work lol

SweetTripl

Sweet Triple
Mar 23, 2021
United Kingdom
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple R
I havent found anything good and free for automatically blurring plates out. Have you tried the editor built into Youtube, I noticed the other day there is a option specifically for number plates.

Cyberlink Powerdirector and a few of the other major video editors have fairly good tracking built in.
Brilliant, I'm going to use the youtube pixilate thing next time as I just had to put a Subscribe Button over my speedo in my videos using Adobe Premier Rush!

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
If anyone stumbles across this thread and uses Davinci Resolve, I've got you covered with a tutorial:

If you're not using Resolve, I bet that Premiere has a similar workflow. It's easy and takes mere minutes to do, at least in Resolve. I edited a video yesterday where I wanted to blur my speedo and plate, and I think doing the dozen or so shots took maybe 20 minutes?

I hadn't seen that YT has a feature that does it built-in... I wonder how it handles the weird geometry of GoPro footage? License plates in my footage are often readable, even if the plate itself is skewed in the video.

-John

Reactions: HRMV and YBGuy

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts