No microphone

Shredded

Wannabie Member
Nov 7, 2018
I ride a
2006 Rmz450
I need help guys just found put today my gopro dosnt work with the mic i got anyway i can use my phone to record audio ?

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Harley Davidson Iron 833
Hey Shredded, when I started out I was recording my audio separately via my phone.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+, I used the AKG headphoens that came with the phone, though I wanted it to be my dedicated mic so clipped off the earbuds so that it was a single wire running to my helmet.
Now whenever I record external audio I still use that same headphone mic but I record into an old iPod touch, there's a recording app that I found that allows you to adjust the gain and pitch so things like wind don't overload the audio file.

One thing I can tell you is make sure that you do a proper wrap on that external mic, use mic foam, then deadcat, and if you're like me add an extra layer to clean it all up, I used a bandana or microfiber cloth on mine.

Reactions: R-Rated

Undead MV

If there is light, there shall be dark
Oct 9, 2017
Mexico City
I ride a
Bajaj Avenger Street 220
For starting up no problem, but if you're recording periodically it will annoy you always having to sync the audio with the vid.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I prefer to record with a secondary device and sync audio as its not a big deal if you just clap at the beginning, thats the whole idea behind a clap board. Many editing programs can sync for you such as in Adobe Premiere. So I use an app called Voice Record and the Audio-Technica ATR-3350IS Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier Mic with Smartphone Adapter to record audio. I don't have a deadcat on mine, I use two foam covers over each other. I then attached the mic portion ot he cheekpad in my helmet right next to my mouth with velco.

I think I get pretty good, clear audio for my vlogs with this setup and the powered mic is a bit more upkeep, but worth it in my mind. And the Voice Record app allows for control of the gain, as well as other level, to get the best audio you can with your helmet and bike noise.

On my channle I have a video called My Vlogging Rig that shows my setup if you want to take a look. I also explain the iPhone handsfree headphone/mic setup if you have a pair that you don't mind removing the headphones from to record audio.

scottrod

Wannabie Member
May 15, 2018
I ride a
Harley Davidson V Rod
You can.. I have in the past however find its a total ball ache!

What camera are you using?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
To get started you can use your phone, but you may want to upgrade to a standalone voice recorder as you'll have better ontrol over the sound quality :)

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I have a tascam, a zoom and a sony digital recorder and I still prefer the app on my phone. Not having to carry an extra device, we all carry our phones everywhere, is awesome. And the app I use has every one of the functions of my other audio recorders plus the benefit of being a small computer. Phones these days out class handheld audio recorders in processing power and storage. If you're looking to do multiple channels such as get the bike and your voice seperatly, that is a different story. That is where a tascam or zoom show their worth. You can plug two mics into them (or even more depending on how many channels the device supports) I however have a loud ass bike and there is no way to completely remove that from my voice track, no matter what I do, so I find it best to just minimize the bike through Gain and mic placement and stick with the app on my phone with a single mic.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I think I am going to maybe start using my voice recorder more when green laning as my bike is very quiet so might put a mic under the seat or somit.

Reactions: LoneWolfer

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I've watched a few vlogs that use that technique. Just seems like so much more hahahaha
Lining up the audio isn't too much of a problem, but buying batteries is a bit of a PITA

MotoNordic

Moto Nordico
Aug 11, 2018
Sweden
www.motonordico.com
I ride a
Honda CBR 600
I refuse to use the big GoPro mic adapter and currently record my audio separately on to my iPhone using the app “Voice Record7” and a headset that I got rid of the earbuds and then wrapped the mic with foam and cloth.
I’ve got the mic mounted inside the helmet with about 10cm cable running out of the helmet, enough to connect my extension cable for the days I vlog, and short enough to easy hide inside the helmet when just riding.

The sync is a piece of cake in Final Cut Pro and I add some brightness to get rid of the “muffled” sound.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts