My next bike

Gemini

Los Angeles R1 Motovlogger
Apr 16, 2020
Los Angeles
I ride a
2019 Yamaha R3 ABS
So I paid off my 2019 Yamaha R3 ABS today. I had the extra cash and decided I was over making the payments. That being said, I am also looking into my next bike... I really have thought it through deeply. I do not feel like I want to trade in this bike and finance a new or used bike... That being said, I started looking into the 2005 CBR1000RR Repsol. The reason being this is my favorite bike of all time, was the bike that made me fall in love with sportbikes really.

Moving forward, I have looked into these bikes near me (los angeles) and they are few and far between. Can anyone give me guidance, and any idea of what to expect when looking to buy a used bike? I know the basics, looking for things wrong with it etc, but I have only purchased used cars. A motorcycle has to be mechanically sound. What can I expect when taking it in to get servied (i feel i should take it into a shop right away to be looked over profesionally, Im experienced with motorized vehicles but do not trust my own assessment on a 175bhp missile) thanks for any advice you may have. This forum is the best, you guys are always very helpful.

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
Check out Sean from srkcycles.com, his YouTube channel is Bikes and Beards, he has a pretty good video series on this because he owns a motorcycle dealership he is constantly buying second hand bikes

Reactions: WheelyPerd

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Factor in the cost of consumables too. When I went from my VFR400 up to a more powerful bike, my chain and sprockets, brake pads and tyre costs went through the roof. Tyres for your R3 will last possibly double if not triple those on a Fireblade, and you will wear the other bits faster too.
A rear tyre in the UK for an R3 is roughly £110
A rear tyre for a Fireblade is roughly is roughly £155
Not a huge difference, but when you factor in the miles you could get from them, it does add up.

Not that I am trying to change your mind, but it always makes me wonder why folk want to jump from a relatively low powered bike straight up to a bike with so much horsepower? Don't get me wrong, BHP is intoxicating, but the difference between an R3 and a Fireblade is a Triumph Street Triple 765R, which has way more power than most "need" on the road and still more than most can use on track effectively.

I love fast bikes, but it is a hell of a jump from an R3, and the R3 ridden well would bite the heels of a badly ridden Fireblade on track! :)

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Check out Sean from srkcycles.com, his YouTube channel is Bikes and Beards, he has a pretty good video series on this because he owns a motorcycle dealership he is constantly buying second hand bikes

Sean's a good guy, he is only an hour away from me. He actually got my 2016 Road Glide Ultra after I traded it in for my Wing. He even made two Youtube videos on my old RGU!

• Wow
Reactions: WheelyPerd

Gemini

Apr 16, 2020
Los Angeles
I ride a
2019 Yamaha R3 ABS
Factor in the cost of consumables too. When I went from my VFR400 up to a more powerful bike, my chain and sprockets, brake pads and tyre costs went through the roof. Tyres for your R3 will last possibly double if not triple those on a Fireblade, and you will wear the other bits faster too.
A rear tyre in the UK for an R3 is roughly £110
A rear tyre for a Fireblade is roughly is roughly £155
Not a huge difference, but when you factor in the miles you could get from them, it does add up.

Not that I am trying to change your mind, but it always makes me wonder why folk want to jump from a relatively low powered bike straight up to a bike with so much horsepower? Don't get me wrong, BHP is intoxicating, but the difference between an R3 and a Fireblade is a Triumph Street Triple 765R, which has way more power than most "need" on the road and still more than most can use on track effectively.

I love fast bikes, but it is a hell of a jump from an R3, and the R3 ridden well would bite the heels of a badly ridden Fireblade on track! :)
I understand everything you say here and it makes perfect sense. Jumping from a 300 to a 1000 is going to be crazy under any circumstances for sure. That being said, I'm not really doing it for the power honestly, or because I want to go faster. I will for sure end up being slower in the canyons on a liter bike in the beginning. For me though, it's just a bike I have always wanted because of the looks, the sound, the experience. After riding the R3 and learning the ropes, I have slowly learned what I enjoy about riding. I do not feel like riding THAT fast is that much of a goal for me. A slightly spirited ride is all I need, with some beautiful scenery. No need for knee down, or trying to push the limits of grip. Just fast enough to feel good on a winding road. What I do feel like I am missing is the true love of my bike. I love the R3, but I dont love the sound track, and while it is good looking, it isnt my dream bike. I can safely say a part of it may be ego, not in terms of being a fast rider ego, but more just how the bike looks, status and all that... its hard to admit but true.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Nowt wrong with wanting something because of it's looks mate!

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Look for service records on any used bikes. So many bikes now are a bit more challenging than average rider can do in their garage.

Also, there are services out like carfax for bikes. Fortnine out Canada has a good video about buying used bikes and he is not too full of himself.

When checking frames and swingarm for ripples, close your eyes and let the slightest imperfection make you take notice. Kind of like when your tongue feels something on your tooth - your mind will tell you more than your eyes.

Check the paint in full sunshine. Look for changes in spray direction that may indicate touching up.

Good luck on the quest. I do have to wonder though if you go bigger on the sport bike will you then feel the pressure to ride it to its full potential? You know how some folks can be with their testosterone challenging others.

Have you considered a sport touring bike like the FJR1300ES? Not as prone for folks to expect you to be a street racer on those but the bike can if need be.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Gemini

Apr 16, 2020
Los Angeles
I ride a
2019 Yamaha R3 ABS
Look for service records on any used bikes. So many bikes now are a bit more challenging than average rider can do in their garage.

Also, there are services out like carfax for bikes. Fortnine out Canada has a good video about buying used bikes and he is not too full of himself.

When checking frames and swingarm for ripples, close your eyes and let the slightest imperfection make you take notice. Kind of like when your tongue feels something on your tooth - your mind will tell you more than your eyes.

Check the paint in full sunshine. Look for changes in spray direction that may indicate touching up.

Good luck on the quest. I do have to wonder though if you go bigger on the sport bike will you then feel the pressure to ride it to its full potential? You know how some folks can be with their testosterone challenging others.

Have you considered a sport touring bike like the FJR1300ES? Not as prone for folks to expect you to be a street racer on those but the bike can if need be.
Thanks for those tips. I for sure would follow along with those inspection guidelines. I know motorcycles and cars are different, but I have driven high powered cars, including owning a pretty high horsepower evolution. That being said, motorcycles require a completely different set of skills. But what this does bring to the table for me is knowing to respect something with a lot of power. I would definitely slowly ease myself into getting used to the amount of power a liter bike has to offer. Another down side I see with the repsol is the lack of electronics. I was also looking at new R1s, which have tons of rider aids and low power settings. It would definitely be a safer choice, but I cant afford to buy it outright even with trade in at the moment.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Thanks for those tips. I for sure would follow along with those inspection guidelines. I know motorcycles and cars are different, but I have driven high powered cars, including owning a pretty high horsepower evolution. That being said, motorcycles require a completely different set of skills. But what this does bring to the table for me is knowing to respect something with a lot of power. I would definitely slowly ease myself into getting used to the amount of power a liter bike has to offer. Another down side I see with the repsol is the lack of electronics. I was also looking at new R1s, which have tons of rider aids and low power settings. It would definitely be a safer choice, but I cant afford to buy it outright even with trade in at the moment.

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. If anything makes you doubt a bike during all this, like spidey sense, then go listen to that doubt.

Gemini

Apr 16, 2020
Los Angeles
I ride a
2019 Yamaha R3 ABS
Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. If anything makes you doubt a bike during all this, like spidey sense, then go listen to that doubt.
Thanks I appreciate that. I have several doubts about all of my options which is why I'm doing as much research and contemplating as I can. Both financially and in my path to becoming a more adept rider this is a pretty big choice. In the meantime I will still get to enjoy my R3, and no more monthly payments. Given the whole covid19 situation I doubt even buying or selling bikes will be worth the effort for a few months

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
Sean's a good guy, he is only an hour away from me. He actually got my 2016 Road Glide Ultra after I traded it in for my Wing. He even made two Youtube videos on my old RGU!

oh that's awesome. I always wanted to tour the states on one of his bikes like one bloke did. Sean drove 13 hours to go help him once the bike blew up! how's that for service!

Gemini

Apr 16, 2020
Los Angeles
I ride a
2019 Yamaha R3 ABS
So I found a bike nearby and have been messaging with the guy. A couple things so far. I got the vin number from him, it checks out in terms of making sure it's a repsol (last 4 of vin have to be 1550 or lower, they only made 1550 in 2005) but I did a vehicle history report and it shows he bought it in 2012 with 13k miles, and now 8 years later it only has 16,000 miles meaning it has only been rode 3,000 miles in 8 years. So either 1) he didnt ride it and it sat a lot or 2) he rolled the odo back. Just more on the bike, it has a full titanium yoshi exhaust and power commander as well. Supposedly never dropped and has "all original nuts and bolts" which is hard to believe for a 15 year old bike. Also I noticed in the picture the rear brake line is orange, which should be black, so that has been changed. The headlights shine white as well, which means those bulbs have been changed, they should be yellow. He is also asking 6900, which I think is too much. For a decent condition bike KBB has them at 5600, and I see them for 5 to 6 thousand in other states, which some people asking about 8200 for one in perfect condition with 11k miles. What do you guys think?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Brake lines wear out, and bulbs blow. I doubt there are many bikes from 2005 with the same headlight bulb! :D

Gemini

Apr 16, 2020
Los Angeles
I ride a
2019 Yamaha R3 ABS
So another update on my search for my next bike. I called around some dealerships to do some research and keep my mind open to all options. I found one bike for sale that seems pretty enticing. It's a 2018 model year GSXR 1000R, completely new. They have it marked down to 9000... from 17k. I was instantly suspicious but talked more in depth about what else the dealership was selling. Long story short he gave me a rough estimate of 12k OTD verbally, obviously this is subject to change. Should I go in and take the time, or get an actual written OTD price first? I feel like hes just baiting me to come in and will jack up the price. But if this too good to be true offer is real, do you think 12k on a 2 model year old bike is a good deal OTD? It has a lot of what I'm looking for.. quick shifter, (with motogp shifting apparently) brembo brakes, TFT display, showa suspension, and not to mention the gsxr hp...

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Bike sales in the UK are very different to the US. So no idea about striking a deal, but if you like the bike, like the price and can afford it, then surely it is a done deal? :)

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
One very important thing I take away from buying used bikes is the attitude and character of the seller. You can almost tell how well the bike is taken care of by a character of a person. Just have good judgement on people and you can inspect the bike after.

Skant153

Wannabie Member
Feb 22, 2020
Rochester, NY
www.sandycreekmanor.com
I ride a
97 CBR 900RR
98 VFR800
98 Valkyrie
07 VT1100
you should be able to get an 05 blade for about $5000. i've got a 97 blade and although they're vastly different bikes, they are incredible. if you do purchase one, head on over to fireblades.org and say hello.

also, in my personal opinion, you can never have too many bikes. i just picked up my 4th yesterday, an 07 vt1100. the newest bike i have ever owned

Gemini

Apr 16, 2020
Los Angeles
I ride a
2019 Yamaha R3 ABS
you should be able to get an 05 blade for about $5000. i've got a 97 blade and although they're vastly different bikes, they are incredible. if you do purchase one, head on over to fireblades.org and say hello.

also, in my personal opinion, you can never have too many bikes. i just picked up my 4th yesterday, an 07 vt1100. the newest bike i have ever owned

You say an 05 blade for 5k which sounds about right but does that apply to the repsol edition as well?

Skant153

Wannabie Member
Feb 22, 2020
Rochester, NY
www.sandycreekmanor.com
I ride a
97 CBR 900RR
98 VFR800
98 Valkyrie
07 VT1100
You say an 05 blade for 5k which sounds about right but does that apply to the repsol edition as well?
Yeah, it's pretty common. You'll have to make sure they're not Chinese fairings. You can probably easiest check the tail for the Honda mark on the inside of the plastics. Not like it's a erion racing edition. If you find one of those, jump on it.

Gemini

Apr 16, 2020
Los Angeles
I ride a
2019 Yamaha R3 ABS
update number ???:
I have done some shopping today and visited dealerships. I have to say the liter bike market is very interesting right now. The 2018-2019 model year R1s are all at a premium. A 2018 fireblade is going for 13.8k OTD best price, EVERY R1 I see is at 16.5k OTD minimum.... still looking around for a good deal, I think 15k OTD is the best I can do currently. Unelss i sell my R3 private party first.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts