Clint Love

It doesn't say CUNT, dammit!
Jun 17, 2015
Dallas, Texas
www.therealclintlove.com
I ride a
2007 Ducati 1098s
is the msf course really needed?

I'll put it like this. I had already been riding for 15 years when i took the course. There was no course back in 91 or so when I started, at least not in my area. I still learned a lot and I had to unlearn some bad habits, too. Better to take the course and start out on top. In terms of you being able to save your life one day, it's not that expensive.

Also if I'm correct, in Australia and most of Europe, a course that teaches those skills is mandatory (and expensive) before you can even get on a bike and their riders as a whole tend to be more skilled than we Mericans. That is, except for the ones of us who have taken the time to learn the skills.

I know you are thinking of one day moving up to a liter bike, which is cool, but there is a big learning curve. I've owned a Ducati M750 and my Triumph cruiser was 800cc but I can tell you when I bought his liquid cooled beast of a machine, I had to go back and get my learn on.

The first thing I did? I went into a school parking lot (school was out) and practiced all the stuff from my MSF course.

Reactions: Kill Kitty

Stryfe

Just a noob riding a motorcycle
Jun 20, 2015
Alabama
I ride a
2001 Honda CBR F4i
I'll put it like this. I had already been riding for 15 years when i took the course. There was no course back in 91 or so when I started, at least not in my area. I still learned a lot and I had to unlearn some bad habits, too. Better to take the course and start out on top. In terms of you being able to save your life one day, it's not that expensive.

Also if I'm correct, in Australia and most of Europe, a course that teaches those skills is mandatory (and expensive) before you can even get on a bike and their riders as a whole tend to be more skilled than we Mericans. That is, except for the ones of us who have taken the time to learn the skills.

I know you are thinking of one day moving up to a liter bike, which is cool, but there is a big learning curve. I've owned a Ducati M750 and my Triumph cruiser was 800cc but I can tell you when I bought his liquid cooled beast of a machine, I had to go back and get my learn on.

The first thing I did? I went into a school parking lot (school was out) and practiced all the stuff from my MSF course.

the course is highly recommend from everyone ive talked to. i think in the future i will take it maybe within the next couple of months. you did any advanced courses?

Stryfe

Jun 20, 2015
Alabama
I ride a
2001 Honda CBR F4i
I haven't done the advanced course, but I need to do it. When I have money for the proper gear and frame sliders I want to do Track Days, too.

i want to do that also. you use your own bike though i believe.

Kill Kitty

Wannabie Member
Aug 27, 2014
I ride a
Honda CB500X
Short answer: Yes. Long Answer Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssss.
But seriously, take the course. Every day (increasingly so it seems) I see numerous blunders posted up on this site alone. Things they teach you like lane position and early identification of hazards, so many new riders/vloggers just are paying NO attention to. The safety course will hopefully instill a better riding attitude and mind set. It's well worth the money. The low speed maneuver stuff is helpful, but the class portion was the part I found most important.

Stryfe

Jun 20, 2015
Alabama
I ride a
2001 Honda CBR F4i
Short answer: Yes. Long Answer Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssss.
But seriously, take the course. Every day (increasingly so it seems) I see numerous blunders posted up on this site alone. Things they teach you like lane position and early identification of hazards, so many new riders/vloggers just are paying NO attention to. The safety course will hopefully instill a better riding attitude and mind set. It's well worth the money. The low speed maneuver stuff is helpful, but the class portion was the part I found most important.

yeah im starting to see that it'll be beneficial to take it. im going to within the next two months

Theryninja

Wannabie Member
Jun 23, 2015
I ride a
kawasaki Ninja 300
is the msf course really needed?

THAT COURSE IS AMAZING! IT'S THE SMALL THINGS THAT THEY TEACH YOU THAT COUNTS THE MOST. I HONESTLY WOULD RECOMMEND TAKING IT. THE THINGS THAT YOUR LEARN MIGHT JUST SAVE YOUR LIFE ONE DAY. RIDE SAFE

Stryfe

Jun 20, 2015
Alabama
I ride a
2001 Honda CBR F4i
THAT COURSE IS AMAZING! IT'S THE SMALL THINGS THAT THEY TEACH YOU THAT COUNTS THE MOST. I HONESTLY WOULD RECOMMEND TAKING IT. THE THINGS THAT YOUR LEARN MIGHT JUST SAVE YOUR LIFE ONE DAY. RIDE SAFE

a lot of people are telling me that lol

TheDutchTexan

Wannabie Member
Jul 2, 2013
I ride a
bicycle...
Depends on where you are at. But in Texas it's mandatory. I did it, and I got my license the day after (after waiting at the DMV for 2 hours... I HATE the DMV wait times).

Unless you are an ace riding I would take it regardless. They bring up some pretty good points.

Spencer

Wannabie Member
Apr 29, 2015
Vancouver
I ride a
2006 YZF-R6 Raven Edition
Really depends who you are, if you are confident in yourself and are able to be mature with the throttle or have had previous driving experience and you can understand what you need to look out for on the road I see no reason for the MSF course. But if you are really nervous or have the extra money/want to learn some advanced defensive driving techniques go ahead!

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
...I see no reason for the MSF course...
Any training is beneficial, as is further training once you have gained a licence/experience. It's about the only sensible thing written in the EU 3rd directive.

Rusty

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2014
I ride a
KLR650, VFR75, Ninja 250
required no, strongly recommended yes, great information, helps break bad habits and insurance discount ... score

ride512

Wannabie Member
Aug 7, 2015
I ride a
Vespa GTS 300 Super
I really enjoyed the MSF course. I learned a lot in a semi-safe and supervised environment. Also like Rusty said check with your insurance company you might get a discount for taking the class.

ToastRider

Geezer Ninja
Jul 18, 2015
I ride a
Kawasaki Concours 1000
Kawasaki 454 LTD
It's worth noting that the Basic Rider Course is in the process of being updated to include additional focus on risk awareness and assessment. Some states have it fully implemented while others are offering only the online portion, and still others will not begin the new version of the BRC until next season.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts