I ride a
DRZ400SM and random stuff people let me ride
i would rather learn the hard way. its the only way to remember things lol

VaRider

Wannabie Member
Jan 4, 2016
I ride a
2012 Honda CBR250R
Another thing.. take the course AND get comfortable riding. Dont be too excited to do your vlogging right away. I was too excited last year to just START riding. Inside of a month, I lowsided on a turn with some sand in the intersection. Broke my pinky and got a concussion. So.. that is why I say be patient.. get your skills and then worry about vlogging. Get your skills down on the motorcycle, that is the most important thing. I am entering my second season of riding, and am just now starting to think about doing videos. Maybe I am a Safety Sue, but, you don't get to redo things if they go wrong.

Reactions: ADVBandit

ADVBandit

Wannabie Member
May 4, 2016
Orange County, CA, USA
www.advbandit.com
I ride a
2014 Honda CB500x, 2002 KLR 650 Sidecar
Another thing.. take the course AND get comfortable riding. Dont be too excited to do your vlogging right away. I was too excited last year to just START riding. Inside of a month, I lowsided on a turn with some sand in the intersection. Broke my pinky and got a concussion. So.. that is why I say be patient.. get your skills and then worry about vlogging. Get your skills down on the motorcycle, that is the most important thing. I am entering my second season of riding, and am just now starting to think about doing videos. Maybe I am a Safety Sue, but, you don't get to redo things if they go wrong.

^+1 Focus on riding where control the clutch and shifting become second nature. If you try to do too much too soon you'll find yourself in a world of hurt.

Mousez

It's a KLR kinda thing.
Apr 30, 2016
I ride a
2013 KLR 650
I only took it for the insurance discount. But hey, worth it for that alone!

Moto Verse

Wannabie Member
Aug 14, 2016
Omaha, NE
I ride a
2016 Kawasaki Ninja 300 EX
Depends on your level of skill. It was worth it in my opinion. Learn to ride, Save insurance money, Bike provided (I didn't know anyone to lend me theirs for a test), have a great time with a pretty cool group if you're lucky. Go for it!

Reactions: whingnut

Ghaniba

Explorer
Aug 23, 2016
Northeastern CT
I ride a
R1200GS, TT250, CSC RX3, etc...
I did the written test at our motor vehicle dept, got my learners permit. Took the MSF course after I had been riding a couple weeks. It was still very worthwhile. In my state, taking this class exempts you from having to do the riding test at our motor vehicle dept. I'd suggest it for anyone.

Cynglen

Wannabie Member
Aug 29, 2016
Kansas City, KS
I ride a
2015 Ninja 300
Having never been on a bike before, I took the MSF course and am glad I did. It gave me about 15 miles/8 hours of guided practice in all the important aspects of the bike and how to handle difficult, slow-speed maneuvers (which has made life much much nicer in cramped parking lots). Plus it established good habits immediately when the instructors told me how to properly roll the throttle, use the friction zone, balance front/rear braking, etc.

I never drove stick before getting a bike either, so the chance to beat a clutch while I figured out how to use one was fantastic.

North Wolf

Outdoors guy
Nov 11, 2016
Orono, Maine
I ride a
Suzuki DR-Z400SM
In my state (Maine) it just became mandatory to take the MSF Basic Rider Course to receive your motorcycle endorsement. They implemented the new requirement after there were 32 motorcycle fatalities is 2015, nearly half of which involved riders who had no record of any formal motorcycle training.

It should also be pointed out that of those fatalities, 3/4 were reported as “Not wearing a DOT helmet”, 4 had their license for less than a year, 2 were still on a learners permit, 5 had no license or permit at all, and 2 were unknown if they had a motorcycle endorsement as they were from out of state.

Everyone in my Immediate family that currently has a motorcycle endorsement (other than my father who has had his license since the 70s) has taken the MSF course.

In this state the course costs $325. It is the regular ‘full’ course and takes two days.

I found the course to be extremely helpful and learned quite a lot. The insurance savings didn’t hurt either.

The instructors were very knowledgeable and a blast to talk to (‘old war stories’ from guys who have been instructors for 20+ years can be a riot).

We only had six students in the class and of them only one guy didn’t pass both portions (he still got his permit though).

I recommend taking the course to anyone that wants to learn to improve their skills or even just get into riding.

BlakShadow

The Masshole
Sep 26, 2016
Massachusetts
I ride a
Honda Shadow ACE 1100
In my state (Maine) it just became mandatory to take the MSF Basic Rider Course to receive your motorcycle endorsement. They implemented the new requirement after there were 32 motorcycle fatalities is 2015, nearly half of which involved riders who had no record of any formal motorcycle training.

It should also be pointed out that of those fatalities, 3/4 were reported as “Not wearing a DOT helmet”, 4 had their license for less than a year, 2 were still on a learners permit, 5 had no license or permit at all, and 2 were unknown if they had a motorcycle endorsement as they were from out of state.

Everyone in my Immediate family that currently has a motorcycle endorsement (other than my father who has had his license since the 70s) has taken the MSF course.

In this state the course costs $325. It is the regular ‘full’ course and takes two days.

I found the course to be extremely helpful and learned quite a lot. The insurance savings didn’t hurt either.

The instructors were very knowledgeable and a blast to talk to (‘old war stories’ from guys who have been instructors for 20+ years can be a riot).

We only had six students in the class and of them only one guy didn’t pass both portions (he still got his permit though).

I recommend taking the course to anyone that wants to learn to improve their skills or even just get into riding.

Interesting. Is Maine doing anything to add more classes now that the number of students is being forced to increase? What about people from out of state moving to Maine? If they already have the endorsement (with or without the class), will it simply transfer, or will the course be required unless you can prove you've already taken it? Just curious, having moved from MA to ME back in 2004 (and back to MA in 2011).

Back on topic, the course is the only way to go in my book. And yeah, get comfortable on the bike before you start motovlogging.

North Wolf

Outdoors guy
Nov 11, 2016
Orono, Maine
I ride a
Suzuki DR-Z400SM
Interesting. Is Maine doing anything to add more classes now that the number of students is being forced to increase? What about people from out of state moving to Maine? If they already have the endorsement (with or without the class), will it simply transfer, or will the course be required unless you can prove you've already taken it? Just curious, having moved from MA to ME back in 2004 (and back to MA in 2011).

Back on topic, the course is the only way to go in my book. And yeah, get comfortable on the bike before you start motovlogging.

I’m not sure how many extra classes they are going to plan on since this is only the first year of the requirement, but I do know that the local guys have been running classes into this month which almost never happens.

I don’t know how much reciprocity Maine has with regard to taking new residents moving from other states.
I do know that if the state will take your endorsement (for instance you move here from NH) you have to tell them to keep it. The state default it to ignore all endorsements on licenses and just give you a regular class C.
I know of three guys that moved to the state that had to take the BRC because when they got their new Maine license they didn’t tell the BMV they wanted to keep the endorsement and it was removed.

I THINK (not sure) if you have previously taken the MSF BRC, and have the little certificate that says you passed, you can use that to get your endorsement even if they wiped it off your record upon moving to this state.
Would require a bit of “legwork” and phone calls to be 100% sure on that though.

If that is the case, I think that would be just one more reason to take the course.

Reactions: BlakShadow

DFG

Dat Foreign Guy
Dec 26, 2016
North Carolina
I ride a
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa
Yes. I would recommend it to anyone. It teaches you all basics and it's just a overall great experience.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts