Motorcycle parking : you sure you wont get a parking ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

O8ride

O8
May 16, 2013
I ride a
Inbetween bikes
So I got a ticket last week, and yes, I was in the wrong. But it led me to finding out - when would I be in the right when parking my scooter in Harrogate?

Is there any information anywhere? No.

So I wrote to the council yesterday, and hopeefully I will have some kind of answer by the time I return from my holiday. Copy of email is at the bottom.

But I was going into town again to pick up some stuff for the holiday, and I just wanted to vent about the issues of lack of clarity. It means the council can have their cake and eat it - it is easy to claim at some point that you are in the wrong - ignorance is no defence etc etc.

Then I came across a traffic warden, and we had a good chat. He was very helpful, clarified some points, and would check the issues, considering he had just passed his motorbike test a couple of weeks ago.

Both vlogs below.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfUyMFJJFlk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xenQoEXk3qY[/youtube]

Dear Sir or Madam

I am writing to enquire about the provisions for motorcycle parking in Harrogate.

I can not find any documentation on the Harrogate District Council or the North Yorkshire County Council websites, nor on any of the parking signs throughout the town, that clarifies the status of motorcycles in relation to parking, either on-street or in off-street car parking zones (other than Victoria Car Park during specific daytime hours).

On the District Council website it clearly states that tickets must be placed inside the vehicle, while on the parking signs and the North Yorkshire Parking Strategy that tickets must be placed in the windscreen. As both scenarios are impossible for any motorcycle, and there is no information as to whether free parking is offered or not, this puts motorcyclists in a very strange position of not knowing when or if they are parking legally. This is not only stressful, but is rather inconsiderate and can be costly.

On Station Parade, in between the train station car park and the bus station there is a small parking zone, in which many motorcyclists seem to park on the yellow hatched area in the corner. I would like to know if this is permissible and I can safely and legally park in there, or whether I should be parking inside a marked bay – and with or without a pay and display ticket.

Opposite this car park is the no access zone for vehicles on Cambridge Street. At Caffe Nero right next to the edge of the area adjacent to Station Parade, with cars prevented from accessing because of bollards, there is cyclist parking. At the opposite end of the street there is cyclist parking at Cambridge Road. Both areas appear very well suited to allow safe motorcycle parking aswell as cyclist parking, without hindering either pedestrians or cyclists or other road users. And a large number of motorcyclists do use these areas precisely because there is zero clarity on the status of motorcycle parking in the town. And they receive Penalty Charge Notices, as I found to my cost last week.

I would be very grateful for a timely, clear and concise response on

a) The access for motorcyclists to different types of controlled parking areas, payment regulations, and if payment is required, how to safely attach such a pay and display ticket without it being taken by another user
b) Where inside each off-street or on-street parking area in the district motorcycles should park – in a bay utilising a space that could alternatively be used by another vehicle user thus abetting (rather than easing) congestion, or in some other specially marked area, or alongside a parking area where it appears to be conducive to freeing a parking bay for other users in a safe manner
c) The reasons why there is no clarity on motorcycle parking in Harrogate and whether anything will be done about it
d) Whether consideration will be provided for motorcycle parking in the named areas at the opposite ends of Cambridge Street and possibly other areas throughout the district

Yours faithfully

TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
Re: Motorcycle parking : you sure you wont get a parking tic

If you get no reply put in a freedom of information request :) I was checking up bike parking in Glasgow and someone did that to get answers.

O8ride

O8
May 16, 2013
I ride a
Inbetween bikes

Hi alfisti

I copied the email to a number of councillors, two of whom I know personally, but if still nothing, I will do an foi

UnstableBoy

Wannabie Member
Sep 3, 2012
NJ, USA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
'99 Ninja 250, 2012 V-Strom 650

simple.. if they don't help you out... start taking up a full parking spot... and encourage other bikers to do the same... if all the spots start getting full of single bikes maybe they will reconsider

lewis94iify

Wannabie Member
Dec 31, 2012
Grimsby-Lincolnshire
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Previous-Yamaha YBR, Present-Kawasaki ER-6N

This happened at cleethorpes seafront. Every bike took up a space and when the council realised they were losing money as cars couldn't park, they put 2 motorcycle only areas in :p

O8ride

O8
May 16, 2013
I ride a
Inbetween bikes

Sounds like a plan if the response is anti bike

YTStrider

Wannabie Member
May 5, 2013
SoCal
I ride a
84 Honda CB700SC

I am totally behind the bikers taking over and doing what is required to get respect.
We are not burdens on society, we are taking special risks to minimize our burden on the people around us.
Refusing to give us some simple considerations is a bit of shit, personally.

However, I can't complain with where I'm at, but I sympathize with you out in the UK.
Out here for the most part we park wherever, sidewalks, curbs, under stairs, etc.
However for the most part I make sure I'm not blocking a handicapped spot, not blocking a sidewalk, etc etc.

O8ride

O8
May 16, 2013
I ride a
Inbetween bikes

YT

It seems that it is okay here. The problem is they don't tell you, or make available, what is ok and what is not.

And when you think you are being courteous to others by parking in a certain place, you can get a ticket for it

YTStrider

Wannabie Member
May 5, 2013
SoCal
I ride a
84 Honda CB700SC

That's definitely unfair.

You go to one place, they are fine and another they ticket you.
I'm in SoCal, the one state in the US that allows lane splitting, so in some regards they are more lenient on bikes.
I park on the grocery sidewalk and not in a parking space or similar.
No one cares and typically store owners come ask me about my bike (it's an older bike) and riding and why I have the Drift on my head.

But I know even some places here, if a store owner complains, the cops will come and tow your ass away!
However, that's pretty rare.
I'm curious though, what are the punishments where you are at?
Small ticket or do they consider it reckless op or ...?

crackthepipe999

Wannabie Member
Dec 17, 2012
Kettering
I ride a
Suzuki GSR 600s
In the uk parking fines are usually at round £80 (I think) but I understand that unless its a council/police issued ticket, you can get away with not paying.

If, for example, you don't see an NPC sign saying you need to pay and display and you just park there, return and theirs a ticket issued by NPC (or any other private car park firms). If you ignore the fine they will send you letters threatening you with court ect. BUT they never will because they can only take you to civil court where the maximum fine is the hourly charge in said carpark. There fore they will not take you to court for £3.

This dose not count for police tickets or council tickets.

Probably just easier to pay. But of anyone gets caught out by mistake I hope this can save you a hefty fine

Sent using Tapatalk 2

TheStrokedS10

Wannabie Member
Jul 8, 2013
I ride a
2000 YZF-R6

because on base parking is so bad, they let us park anywhere we fit when were at work. we all park inside the "dont park here" lines. so many bike i usually park behind the trash dumpster by the barrier for my shop.

Trinith

Wannabie Member
Jul 22, 2011
I ride a
2003 Honda VFR

YTStrider said:
I park on the grocery sidewalk and not in a parking space or similar.
No one cares and typically store owners come ask me about my bike (it's an older bike) and riding and why I have the Drift on my head.

But I know even some places here, if a store owner complains, the cops will come and tow your ass away!
However, that's pretty rare.

Generally speaking the police department has no authority over what's going on in a private parkinglot or on a private road, unless specifically called there by the owners for a specific reason, or if they're acting as security guards. They can't usually drive by and see your bike and write you a ticket. If you're on the side of a road, however, that changes.

I once had a cop tell me he was going to ticket me if he ever saw me park on the sidewalk of a subway once. When I asked which store owner was complaining, and what the ticket would be for, he got a little angry. They don't always like it when you call their bluff. However, it's very possible (albeit unlikely) that the grocery store next door had asked them to keep an eye on things. Either way, he got back in his car and drove away.

I've also been given point blank permission to -ride- onto the big sidewalk next to a theater and park well away from the parkinglot, while the place was crowded as hell. They looked at me a little funny for not getting off and pushing it, but didn't say anything. :)

YTStrider

Wannabie Member
May 5, 2013
SoCal
I ride a
84 Honda CB700SC

Trinith said:
I've also been given point blank permission to -ride- onto the big sidewalk next to a theater and park well away from the parkinglot, while the place was crowded as hell. They looked at me a little funny for not getting off and pushing it, but didn't say anything. :)

I very commonly do sidewalk jaunts to a restaurant, movie theater, etc.
Most people kinda chuckle and let me through if I'm even going that far.
Most actual citizens recognize we're just trying to get from A-B quickly and we're not endangering anyone and they let us through.

But some cops can be pains regardless of the actual laws, rules or if anyone even gives a damn.

//What are you gonna do though :roll:

O8ride

O8
May 16, 2013
I ride a
Inbetween bikes

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it's a lottery everywhere.

So I am back from holiday and I have had a response from the council - my email has been forwarded to the parking department!

And that's it, nothing more.

In the meantime I will use the traffic wardens advice and park as unhelpful as poss by using a full bay whenever I can find one

YTStrider

Wannabie Member
May 5, 2013
SoCal
I ride a
84 Honda CB700SC

Rebellion!
I'll fly over and take up a full spot with you!
We get enough people together we can take over small towns!

O8ride

O8
May 16, 2013
I ride a
Inbetween bikes

Got a response from the Council to my letter. Faster than expected and pretty much answered all the questions. Answer copied below

Main thing is they agree there is no clarity on the website, and they will look to rectify this over the next few weeks

Thank you for your email regarding motorcycle parking in Harrogate. I have replied to each of your comments in red within your email to ensure all comments are addressed.
Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and if you wish to discuss anything further please do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards

Parking Services Manager
Harrogate Borough Council
Department of Community Services
Victoria Car Park
Harrogate
HG1 5LQ
Tel: 01423 556971
Web: http://www.harrogate.gov.uk

Dear Sir or Madam

I am writing to enquire about the provisions for motorcycle parking in Harrogate.

I can not find any documentation on the Harrogate District Council or the North Yorkshire County Council websites, nor on any of the parking signs throughout the town, that clarifies the status of motorcycles in relation to parking, either on-street or in off-street car parking zones (other than Victoria Car Park during specific daytime hours).
Please see c) below

On the District Council website it clearly states that tickets must be placed inside the vehicle, while on the parking signs and the North Yorkshire Parking Strategy that tickets must be placed in the windscreen. As both scenarios are impossible for any motorcycle, and there is no information as to whether free parking is offered or not, this puts motorcyclists in a very strange position of not knowing when or if they are parking legally. This is not only stressful, but is rather inconsiderate and can be costly.
Please see answers below.

On Station Parade, in between the train station car park and the bus station there is a small parking zone, in which many motorcyclists seem to park on the yellow hatched area in the corner. I would like to know if this is permissible and I can safely and legally park in there, or whether I should be parking inside a marked bay – and with or without a pay and display ticket. Is this within the car park on Station Parade or elsewhere?
In Station Parade car park, we are ‘relaxed’ about cycles parking in the hatched box you refer to and do not issue to motorcyclists for this but this is unusual and it is always best to park in a bay. Any anomalies like this (which seem reasonable at first) do tend to lead to eventual confusion since it leads to the parking rules varying from place to place.

Opposite this car park is the no access zone for vehicles on Cambridge Street. At Caffe Nero right next to the edge of the area adjacent to Station Parade, with cars prevented from accessing because of bollards, there is cyclist parking. At the opposite end of the street there is cyclist parking at Cambridge Road. Both areas appear very well suited to allow safe motorcycle parking aswell as cyclist parking, without hindering either pedestrians or cyclists or other road users. And a large number of motorcyclists do use these areas precisely because there is zero clarity on the status of motorcycle parking in the town. And they receive Penalty Charge Notices, as I found to my cost last week.
I would not agree. There is a sign on entry prohibiting motor vehicles which includes a picture of a motor cycle. Just because there may be a lack of clarity on the website, this does not allow vehicles to park where there is clarity i.e. a sign stating motorcycles are prohibited in the pedestrian area.
I would be very grateful for a timely, clear and concise response on

a) The access for motorcyclists to different types of controlled parking areas, payment regulations, and if payment is required, how to safely attach such a pay and display ticket without it being taken by another user.
Motorcycles are not required to display a disc or pay and display either on or off street in the Harrogate district.
b) Where inside each off-street or on-street parking area in the district motorcycles should park – in a bay utilising a space that could alternatively be used by another vehicle user thus abetting (rather than easing) congestion, or in some other specially marked area, or alongside a parking area where it appears to be conducive to freeing a parking bay for other users in a safe manner.
We are happy that motorcyclists park within marked bays (general use bays rather than disabled, loading, taxi rank etc.) either on or off street. I know that sometimes this can be seen as ‘wasting’ a bay but this does make it clear for the motorcyclists since otherwise we end up with different interpretations of what is acceptable and what isn’t acceptable parking and it becomes confusing for everyone. In some car parks, there are marked motorcycle areas and most motorcyclists are very considerate and more than one bike often park in the one bay which we’re happy with.
c) The reasons why there is no clarity on motorcycle parking in Harrogate and whether anything will be done about it.
I would agree that the website is not clear on this matter and we will rectify this. This is the first complaint I have received regarding lack of clarity for motorcyclists so I presume that other motorcyclists have telephoned or asked a staff member in the past and this has been sufficient. We are reviewing our website within the next couple of months and, like I said, we will improve the content so it is clearer for motorcyclists.
d) Whether consideration will be provided for motorcycle parking in the named areas at the opposite ends of Cambridge Street and possibly other areas throughout the district.
The pedestrian area in Harrogate is the responsibility of North Yorkshire County Council (NYCC) who decide on the regulations and Harrogate Borough Council enforce on these on NYCC’s behalf. I am aware that cyclists have complained in the past about being unable to use the racks since motorcycles have been parked in them and I do think it unlikely that NYCC would reconsider this but this would be something for them to give you the definite answer on. If there are other areas you feel it would be appropriate to convert to motorcycle parking, I’m sure they would consider these. NYCC can be emailed area6.boroughbridge@northyorks.gov.uk.

Yours faithfully

YTStrider

Wannabie Member
May 5, 2013
SoCal
I ride a
84 Honda CB700SC

So basically they said they don't know, sod off and to park like a car.

O8ride

O8
May 16, 2013
I ride a
Inbetween bikes

Could be

:D

Quite happy I at least got an answer and they will consider doing some thing about clarifying things on the website

YTStrider

Wannabie Member
May 5, 2013
SoCal
I ride a
84 Honda CB700SC

Or at least they said they would to shut us up.
although I hope they are more genuine than American bureaucratic crap.

O8ride

O8
May 16, 2013
I ride a
Inbetween bikes

Lo and behold, TwistnGo magazine has an article on Parking this month. Clealry they are London focused, and state that you will get a ticket if you park in a normal (ie car) bay.

It's clear to me that there is massive inconsistency across the country - which really doesn't help if there are no clear guidelines on parking signs.

Anyone live somewhere where it is really clear for bikers what you can do and what you can't in terms of parking (ie you don't have to go searching on the internet for the info, but it is plain and written on the parking signs on the streets and car parks)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R-Rated Members Vlogs 6

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts