Motorcycle is louder than voice

gravyboat

Wannabie Member
Jul 15, 2019
I ride a
2008 Honda CBR600RR
Hey guys,

I had my mic positioned a little too far from my mouth in my last video and it's kind of hard to hear what I'm saying. It's not super bad but it's definitely muffled. Does anyone know a way I can either "turn down" the exhaust/engine noise or turn up my voice?

Thanks!

Reactions: juan ride

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Unless you record each separately they are intrinsically linked. you may be able to use a graphic equaliser to lower the exhaust tone and sharpen the audio, guessing lower the bass and raise the treble, although that might sound a bit weird.

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I am sure there is software out there that professionals use that can bring out the voice a bit. It may be cost prohibitve.

I would be tempted to save the audio as a separate file and then run the track through a media player with a multi band equalizer. Then you can tinker with all the different frequencies.

Another alternative would be subtitles. I recall from my interviews that @RiderInRed and @scooterwuf each might have some advice on remixing audio. I am curious what they might suggest.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
Hey guys,

I had my mic positioned a little too far from my mouth in my last video and it's kind of hard to hear what I'm saying. It's not super bad but it's definitely muffled. Does anyone know a way I can either "turn down" the exhaust/engine noise or turn up my voice?

Thanks!
What program are you using to edit your stuff?

And if you are recording your audio separatly from your video, there mightbe/should be a setting for GAIN. Experiment with the gain levels and you will find a clearer voice.

My bike is stupid loud and I have to turn the gain way down.

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Some editing software has a "wind noise filter" but I've always found that it changes the voice as well. Could be worth a shot, if your voice is audible.

Software I use Cyberlink Powerdirector OR you can use Audacity(but requires you to extract the audio from video)

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Like what Hippodrone said the sound may be be too linked to fully separate them. I've run into this problem with too much wind noise. Your best (and cheapest) option would be to re-dub your voice commentary. I've done it before with the mic wired into my helmet while plugged into my same camera or another recording device.

Putting the helmet on with a pair of ear phones as well, I find a quiet place to record (a good clothing closet works). Hit record on your camera/audio device and watch and listen to your video and recite your commentary as you hear the original track. Its doesn't have to fit perfectly, but enough for you to drop into your edit timeline on a separate layer.

If you want your motor sounds as well, I'd suggest following the same route (as possible) with your mounted camera on record. No narration needed as you're just after your motor and wind sounds.

It's not a perfect solution, but an option over going out and redoing your entire blog again.

There are programs that can reduce background sounds like hisses, and sometimes wind noise, but it depends on what program(s) you have.

- Wolf

gravyboat

Wannabie Member
Jul 15, 2019
I ride a
2008 Honda CBR600RR
What program are you using to edit your stuff?

And if you are recording your audio separatly from your video, there mightbe/should be a setting for GAIN. Experiment with the gain levels and you will find a clearer voice.

My bike is stupid loud and I have to turn the gain way down.

I have the Adobe CC Suite which is nice. I recorded everything to the GoPro aka one Audio track. Next time I'm going to try to position the mic a bit closer to my mouth, that'll fix it. I was trying to record my voice and my buddy talking through the Sena helmet so it was okay for both but not great for each, if that makes sense.

gravyboat

Wannabie Member
Jul 15, 2019
I ride a
2008 Honda CBR600RR
Unless you record each separately they are intrinsically linked. you may be able to use a graphic equaliser to lower the exhaust tone and sharpen the audio, guessing lower the bass and raise the treble, although that might sound a bit weird.

Like what Hippodrone said the sound may be be too linked to fully separate them. I've run into this problem with too much wind noise. Your best (and cheapest) option would be to re-dub your voice commentary. I've done it before with the mic wired into my helmet while plugged into my same camera or another recording device......

- Wolf

This is fantastic. Thanks for the information and videos!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HippoDrone

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
I have the Adobe CC Suite which is nice. I recorded everything to the GoPro aka one Audio track. Next time I'm going to try to position the mic a bit closer to my mouth, that'll fix it. I was trying to record my voice and my buddy talking through the Sena helmet so it was okay for both but not great for each, if that makes sense.

In Adobe Premiere, in the Audio Effects there is an effect called Vocal Enhancer which might help a bit. Or you can give Audition a try and drop out some of the low end which might remove some of the bike noise. Unless your voice is also very low then it might kills some of that as well.

gravyboat

Wannabie Member
Jul 15, 2019
I ride a
2008 Honda CBR600RR
In Adobe Premiere, in the Audio Effects there is an effect called Vocal Enhancer which might help a bit. Or you can give Audition a try and drop out some of the low end which might remove some of the bike noise. Unless your voice is also very low then it might kills some of that as well.

Finally back from work... Honestly the Vocal Enhancer worked very well in Premiere. The only issue I had was that it took out some of the bass from the clips but if you didn't hear the before and after it wouldn't be too obvious. Great tip, thank you.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Finally back from work... Honestly the Vocal Enhancer worked very well in Premiere. The only issue I had was that it took out some of the bass from the clips but if you didn't hear the before and after it wouldn't be too obvious. Great tip, thank you.

You are very welcome, glad it helped.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts