General Mic Shootout - Which sounds the best? Do they all suck?

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I just picked up the Audio-Technica ATR-3350 and got a break between crappy days, its snowing here again in Connecticut. Got some amazing results on back roads and on the highway. I am super impressed with this mic with just these two rides. Still not totally set on how to keep it in the helmet, either easily removed whenever I get off the bike or wind that ridiculously long cable around the inside of the helmet between the shell and the removeable lining. I got the whole cable to fit inside of my helmet, but its a little tighter now hahahaha.

Your 3D printed holder is interesting MotoAdventureMe, but that seems a bit too exposed for me.

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
I heard from AndyManCam that one would just simply cut the cable to lenght and solder it back together, personally I'm not into cutting into things that works but I might just have to.

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Harley Davidson Iron 833
I was using the Giant Squid mic, it picks up alot of sound and doesnt peak out like the Sony ECMCS3 did with my gopro. I also find that wrapping the microphone properly plays a huge part. For example, my $60 Giant Squid mic performs just as well as my $8 VOIP/Skype Flex mic, even with wind. I like to wrap my mics in deadcat over the existing foam, then I apply another wrap of either microfiber cloth or a bandana or keep the little hairs from tickling me and it compresses it a little which helps with my bass-y voice.

I cant say I'd recommend it but I cut and resoldered my excess mic wire, I think mine was 6ft long. I had shrinkwrap but I think next time I'll use some sugru to seal it and then a little more to adhere the wire to a spot on the helmet.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I'd be careful with hard mounting it to the helmet as it could induce wind noise from the outside of the helmet!

Reactions: HeyItsRick

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Harley Davidson Iron 833
I'd be careful with hard mounting it to the helmet as it could induce wind noise from the outside of the helmet!
I agree, the vibrations come through in the audio when hard mounted, my last helmet I glued in a plastic mic clip and that stopped the vibrations. Now that I'm using the flex mic the microphone is routed directly from the adapter, around the mini chin curtain and slightly to the left of where my mouth is. Works pretty well

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts