Live streaming to Youtube - question

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I have seen livestreams from motovloggers, while riding the bike.
They would have the chat/livestream open on an secondary phone to reply to comments once in a while.
When traffic etc allows it.

Is it safe, probably not.
Is it doable, for sure.

But you need to keep it going.
And willing to spend at least 30 min for minimal gain.

Reactions: HippoDrone

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
I can't imagine a livestream of a motovlog would be hugely popular, it isn't like you can interact with the audience unless you can somehow get a text to speech thing reading comments into your headset?
You would almost need a team to do it that way. I did a live stream once while working on a project, and I had my son reading me the comments and questions as they came in. You could theoretically do it with modern comm systems, but you would need a chase car and 2 more people, which would be completely unreasonable unless you're a huge channel. I know Chase does a non live version of this on his first rides with the camera car.

• Love

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
The reason I would like to be able to use live stream to Youtube is for when you stop at a particular "touristy" destination and are off the bike for a bit. Let's say I'm on a long trip and I stop at a spot there is a short trail to a stunning lookout location. I could livestream where I am and the quick walk up the trail to the spot, just to keep channel subscribers updated. Without being able to livestream here and there on a trip, you have to basically wait until you get home so you can edit and process, then upload videos of the entire trip. If I do a 30 day trip this year, it means my channel will have no content for 30 days, unless I can somehow make a bunch of short vids before I leave for the trip, and set them up to go live at scheduled days while I'm away. If I can't livestream on the road, I may end up doing that.

Apr 6, 2018
I'm hoping so because this will be very helpful keeping the channel active while on a month long road trip I plan to do this summer. I can upload short clips while on the road, then process and upload all the main video when I get back home.

If this works, it may be an excuse to upgrade my phone!
What is your end goal? From my perspective you have three different ideas going on here:
- You're saying you want to livestream.
- You're saying you also want to upload short clips.
- You're saying you're going to take your video footage and make full on videos when you get home later.

Is the plan to do all three?

If so, are you doing it for yourself, or for your audience?

If you're doing it for yourself, rock on, no worries.

If you're doing it for your audience, well, put yourself in their shoes... Channel you follow suddenly changes from what you subscribed for and starts doing all kinds of livestreams AND uploading all kinds of short clips.

Goes one of two way, you're either going to watch them or not, but in the mean time they've kind of taken over your Subscription feed and if you have notifications turned on, they've blown up your phone... just to end up doing the same longform content later on down the road, once you've already watched all the clips and possibly don't care to watch the long form anymore.

I think whether you do it for your audience or yourself, if that's what you want to do, you should do it, not saying you shouldn't. Just advocating for having a clear plan and a clear idea that takes your audience into account and doesn't risk overloading them.

I have three weeks worth of videos already done but I'm staggering them every 5-7 days because no one needs to see my face that much. You're much balder and more handsome than me so you might be able to get away with 3-4 days. Hippo can get away with every 1-2 days but only if he's wearing his sexy power ranger outfit. Food for thought!

Apr 6, 2018
You would almost need a team to do it that way. I did a live stream once while working on a project, and I had my son reading me the comments and questions as they came in. You could theoretically do it with modern comm systems, but you would need a chase car and 2 more people, which would be completely unreasonable unless you're a huge channel. I know Chase does a non live version of this on his first rides with the camera car.
Or you could just have your comm system paired to your cell phone, have a girly at home reading you the comments over the phone, and then you speak your answers to your mic. No need for a white bronco chase style of setup lol

Apr 6, 2018
The reason I would like to be able to use live stream to Youtube is for when you stop at a particular "touristy" destination and are off the bike for a bit. Let's say I'm on a long trip and I stop at a spot there is a short trail to a stunning lookout location. I could livestream where I am and the quick walk up the trail to the spot, just to keep channel subscribers updated. Without being able to livestream here and there on a trip, you have to basically wait until you get home so you can edit and process, then upload videos of the entire trip. If I do a 30 day trip this year, it means my channel will have no content for 30 days, unless I can somehow make a bunch of short vids before I leave for the trip, and set them up to go live at scheduled days while I'm away. If I can't livestream on the road, I may end up doing that.
What's the benefit? Why livestream that? You could record it on your phone and upload the clip to youtube when settled into your campsite or hotel for the night.

If you're camping, you're going to be using data anyway.

If you're in a hotel, you can save the data.

Either way you'll have higher quality shooting the clip on your phone and then uploading at the end of the night. Livestream quality is kind of poop and it sounds like you'll be looking at pretty things. Pretty things in poop quality are just shitty pretty things, or pretty looking turds, either way, not as good.

Also, I think livestreams don't really come up in the search results down the road... so again, if you're doing it for friends and family, no problem, but if you're looking for growth, it's shooting yourself in the foot. Its all about what your end goal is.

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
What's the benefit? Why livestream that? You could record it on your phone and upload the clip to youtube when settled into your campsite or hotel for the night.

Either way you'll have higher quality shooting the clip on your phone and then uploading at the end of the night. Livestream quality is kind of poop and it sounds like you'll be looking at pretty things. Pretty things in poop quality are just shitty pretty things, or pretty looking turds, either way, not as good.

Also, I think livestreams don't really come up in the search results down the road... so again, if you're doing it for friends and family, no problem, but if you're looking for growth, it's shooting yourself in the foot. Its all about what your end goal is.
Good thoughts, though I think it would suck up way too much data uploading video without wifi, but if I can find wifi in a hotel, then yes, you are right, I could just shoot cellphone video and try to upload it while I sleep. If it's not too big a file it should be able to finish overnight. Good idea.

• Love

Apr 6, 2018
Good thoughts, though I think it would suck up way too much data uploading video without wifi, but if I can find wifi in a hotel, then yes, you are right, I could just shoot cellphone video and try to upload it while I sleep. If it's not too big a file it should be able to finish overnight. Good idea.
How much data would livestreaming save? I think you would be uploading at 720p instead of 1080p? That's still going to add up no?

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT

As a separate answer to this, my wife brought up a very good point. This doesn't really apply to me as I'm most likely not eligible, but when you livestream, people have the option of donating money, and if you are fairly popular, it can be quite a bit of money, coming in constantly while you are streaming. Donations anywhere from 2 bucks to 100 bucks just for the opportunity of having your chat bolded and noticed. I see it all the time and wonder "wow, these guys are raking it in for just sitting there and chatting while walking down a trail or whatever". As long as they talk, the donations keep coming in. So a very good reason for popular youtubers to use livestream. Youtube loves it too because I think they keep around 1/3 of the donation money.

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I can't imagine a livestream of a motovlog would be hugely popular, it isn't like you can interact with the audience unless you can somehow get a text to speech thing reading comments into your headset?

Maybe have a second person running the live chat and feeding you the really interesting comments? Maybe through a headset?

I have seen large vloggers use a similar setup.

This may be something I visit in June with a couple of motovloggers on a project.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
As a separate answer to this, my wife brought up a very good point. This doesn't really apply to me as I'm most likely not eligible, but when you livestream, people have the option of donating money, and if you are fairly popular, it can be quite a bit of money, coming in constantly while you are streaming. Donations anywhere from 2 bucks to 100 bucks just for the opportunity of having your chat bolded and noticed. I see it all the time and wonder "wow, these guys are raking it in for just sitting there and chatting while walking down a trail or whatever". As long as they talk, the donations keep coming in. So a very good reason for popular youtubers to use livestream. Youtube loves it too because I think they keep around 1/3 of the donation money.

Hmm, reminds me of being a "professional dancer" of sorts.

I can see it now - a dollar to see some guy online run his bike. Five gets the guy to squirt some detailing spray. 100 and the viewer gets something that starts out like this

pghs.jpg

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
Hmm, reminds me of being a "professional dancer" of sorts.

I can see it now - a dollar to see some guy online run his bike. Five gets the guy to squirt some detailing spray. 100 and the viewer gets something that starts out like this

View attachment 6275
Seriously, people simply walk around town with livestream filming the streets on an average day and get thousands of subs and donations all day long. Others sit in their basement and talk about politics, the money just keeps rolling in while they talk "ching ching ching". You'd be surprised how eager people are to give money to something they like watching. I suppose if I was a whole lot better looking, they would pay me to dance too!

• Love
Reactions: R-Rated

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Or you could just have your comm system paired to your cell phone, have a girly at home reading you the comments over the phone, and then you speak your answers to your mic. No need for a white bronco chase style of setup lol
Not a bad idea, but it would require having a way to do both at the same time. I should honestly try that with my phone and see if I can stream and have a convo at the same time. For some reason I think being on the phone kills the hotspot feature during the call, but I could be wrong. iPhone 12 Pro Max on Verizon.

Apr 6, 2018
Not a bad idea, but it would require having a way to do both at the same time. I should honestly try that with my phone and see if I can stream and have a convo at the same time. For some reason I think being on the phone kills the hotspot feature during the call, but I could be wrong. iPhone 12 Pro Max on Verizon.
Why would you limit yourself to one phone?

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
You would have to have an upgraded intercom on your helmet too. I know my Sena headset will only do one channel, but there is a much more expensive one that will handle more.

Apr 6, 2018
Yup, two devices, two mics, and zero reason to believe is going to be online at the same time as I'm riding and be free to (or care to) watch me lol

Apr 6, 2018
Yep, but in reality, you're going to need A LOT of followers before you'll have not just enough in front of their devices, but also available to watch when you're live, to make it worth the trouble in my opinion.

At 6k subs I still get less than a handful of viewers the few times I go live. Not worth it for a less polished video vs one that's properly edited.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO