How long does it take you to edit a video?

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
This week extra long as the editor keeps crashing.

So... time to do something else and hope the problem is fixed tomorrow xD
(sometimes this works, like magic )

What editor are you using? I find that there are some weird quirks in Resolve, but nothing a restart of the program can't fix (typically, the problems are no drag & drop to the timeline and audio lagging behind video).

-John

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
What editor are you using? I find that there are some weird quirks in Resolve, but nothing a restart of the program can't fix (typically, the problems are no drag & drop to the timeline and audio lagging behind video).
Don't forget Resolve 17 is still in beta I expect some of those issues will be resolved (pun intended).
Having said that its one of the best beta releases of a program I've ever used :)

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Don't forget Resolve 17 is still in beta I expect some of those issues will be resolved (pun intended).
Having said that its one of the best beta releases of a program I've ever used :)

Yeah, DR17 Beta 7 got released recently, and I installed it this morning. So far so good.

-John

Reactions: LandyVlad

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I gotta say, I've been practicing my "public speaking" as it were, and last night, in about 1.5 hours, I did rough cuts of 3 videos.

I recorded the other day, 5 videos' worth of topics (1 per video). I was in the GROOVE, did a good job speaking and not venturing too far off topic, all the good stuff!

If I only spent a 1/2 hour rough cutting each topic into a video, then I'm on point for 2-3 hours per video, to add text/graphic overlays, final edits, color grading where needed, and angle switches.

I know some of the topics are fairly dry, but they're things I wanted to talk about, so I gathered my notes up and rode/recorded.

I'm fairly excited to see how the finished results look!

-John

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Just a quick update: I finished & uploaded the DR 4 Moto Vloggers (DR4MV) Episode 1 tonight. I still have to detail it out (thumbnail, description, etc.) and then find a place in my schedule to put it.

It's either squeeze it in this week (probably 1/27/21) or drop it into the middle of February (the 12th?), depending on how soon y'all want to see it.

I also have 5 more ideas for videos I just need to set up and record (well, then edit, render, upload, and detail of course!), so this will be a whole series - I'm hoping it can last a whole year ;)

So far, I've got:
1. Noise Reduction & Vocal Channel Audio Effects (Episode 1 I mentioned above)
2. Setting up Multicam Clips (and how to record them in the first place)
3. Green Screen Chroma Keying
4. Blurring Plates & Speedometers FAST & EASY
5. Exporting YouTube Chapters from DR17
6. Basic Color Grading (Auto Color and Rider View specifically)

Anything else anyone wants me to record? I'll try to put out 2-3 per month, or faster if someone really needs/wants the help :D

-John

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
Great stuff mate - ep. 1 is of special interest to me as I know bugger all about the sound side of things :)
So I'm looking forward to that.

Might be worth bumping video 4 up to position 2 as that's a common thing people want to know and may help build an audience for the subsequent DR vids.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Got it - I'll put up Ep 1 in the next week. I'll find a place for it :D

I struggle with the scheduling. I tend to finish videos in batches (I'll get one done, then crunch on another until it's done, etc.) and I'll have 3 or so of them done basically at once. This past week I uploaded like 9 videos to YT and detailed out 7 of them.

I debate almost daily (in my head) whether to just post things as they get done, or to schedule them out. Right now I seem to be finishing a vlog and an off-bike video back to back, so they get scheduled in the next available week. I left holes in the schedule for the DR4MV series, knowing there's a lot of them I can do.

-John

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
OK, THIS FRIDAY, JANUARY 29th, my first DR4MV video goes live on YouTube... if that's acceptable :D Like I said before, I go through the audio effects I use. I moved some videos around to fit it into the schedule :D

I also modified the series order to make blurring plates & speedometers the next one up ... I should be recording that one tomorrow night.

Tonight was spent detailing out a few videos and watching some YT content. It was a LONG day today, and I don't have the energy to record right now.

-John

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Alright, the first video is up on YT!

I posted over in the Member Vlogs section, here's a link [if that's OK with the mods]:

-John

• Love
Reactions: HippoDrone

AmpdMoto

Check Me Out on Youtube
Aug 28, 2015
I ride a
Harley Davidson VRod
Like others have said it really depends on the video. I’ve done edits in 15min or I’ve had edits that take multiple days. Depends on what you are going for I guess.

I will say that typically my style is to do one scrub through and make a rough edit. I then watch that rough edit all the way through and take out unnecessary pieces as I go to finally get a final edit.

Some videos I use like my last one for example had footage from 5 different cameras so it can be a lot to go through.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Like others have said it really depends on the video. I’ve done edits in 15min or I’ve had edits that take multiple days. Depends on what you are going for I guess.

I will say that typically my style is to do one scrub through and make a rough edit. I then watch that rough edit all the way through and take out unnecessary pieces as I go to finally get a final edit.

Some videos I use like my last one for example had footage from 5 different cameras so it can be a lot to go through.

I had a couple of recent videos that were quick edits - a couple of hours, including all my effects and overlays, and then I still have the monster, which was dual cam, 2.5 hours of footage. Currently, it's at just under 40m in length, but has sound effects, music, special effects, and I'm about 1/3 the way through the final cut.

I've also been playing around with the Alex Audio Butler plugin for Resolve, and I'll be doing a review video on THAT in the next week or so, once I've really gotten to test it thoroughly. Already, not counting my time tinkering with it in a test project, it's saved me about 1-2 hours of editing time just handling my audio for me, and [IMO] the on-bike audio quality has improved by at least a small margin.

Back on-topic... my average editing time now sits at 5.23 hours per uploaded video, down from nearly 5.5 hours PUV. At the same time, my average video length has gone from about 6m to 8.5m, so that's a big improvement in workflow efficiency, with no drop in perceived [my perception] quality.

-John

Reactions: YBGuy and AmpdMoto

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I edited up two motovlogs last night, both around 12 minutes in length. One took me 45 minutes from start to finish, the other took me 3 hours!

I'm okay with it though. I'm not a professional videographer, this is just for fun!

I've put together a few drone videos lately too and they go together much faster than my motovlogs do. Just clips strung together put to music, they are actually a lot of fun to edit together.

Reactions: Drakhen99 and YBGuy

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I edited up two motovlogs last night, both around 12 minutes in length. One took me 45 minutes from start to finish, the other took me 3 hours!

I'm okay with it though. I'm not a professional videographer, this is just for fun!

I've put together a few drone videos lately too and they go together much faster than my motovlogs do. Just clips strung together put to music, they are actually a lot of fun to edit together.

A drone is on my short list of "to buy" items... along with a 360 camera.

Glad you're doing it so fast! I've been working on optimizing my workflow, and I can throw a LOT into a 12-15 minute video. I finished up 3 of them this week, working feverishly during the evenings... 4 or 5 hours per night. One took about 6 hours to get to completion, the other one took 16! I say one, because I split it into 2 videos, each about 15.5m long. That one video was going to be 31m long, but I thought it made more sense to divide it in half, and it had a built-in "midpoint" to cut the footage and separate out into its own timeline. But, in those 3 videos, there are map overlays, moving arrows, text overlays, some 3D text stuck to objects, music, sound effects, video effects, transitions - all the good stuff.

I now have at least 1 video per week already uploaded, detailed, and scheduled on YT... through the latter half of March. Some weeks already have 2 videos scheduled. I have another half dozen or so videos in the editor that need various amounts of work to get them to completion, with at least another 15 videos in planning or "footage shot" stages.

With my current workflow setup, that should knock an hour or so off each video, and some of them are pure vlogs, so there's not a TON of stuff that goes into them. The ones I mentioned above are "short films" really, IMHO.

TL;DR: Lots of words for I spend WAY too much time working on my videos than I probably should, but it's a ton of fun, and I think I'm getting better/faster/stronger at it.

-John

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I think i need to clean up my pc and reinstall my editing software, as with the random crashes, or audio mix ups during rendering, i feel like editing is taking longer and longer each week xD

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I think i need to clean up my pc and reinstall my editing software, as with the random crashes, or audio mix ups during rendering, i feel like editing is taking longer and longer each week xD

If you're using Resolve and upgraded from Version 16 to Version 17, but had projects in 16 that weren't finished - they could be corrupted, which can cause slowdown issues.

Recently, I installed Alex Audio Butler and used it on a project that was half-done. Something was corrupted in the project, and it caused many slowdowns, from 1-5 seconds, sometimes longer. It wasn't until I was done editing that project [which ended up being 12 more hours of editing], that I went to another project that was just fine and no slowdowns.

Then, I went to delete the completed project, and found that I cannot delete it, rename it, or move it into a folder. So, the project is corrupted. Ugh.

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts