How long does it take you to edit a video?

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
You're welcome!

As a quick update... I banged out 3 videos in under 7 hours last night LOL. Unfortunately, 2 of them were 2 takes on the same subject, recorded back to back. I played them for my wife, who agreed with me on the chosen take for publication (I had not told her which was my favorite before her viewing them).

Good times.

Did a quick ride with another vlogger this evening, so he and I will be syncing up our video release for next week. He doesn't have quite the backlog of footage that I do LOL.

-John

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I usually get bogged down when I need to do subtitles.. Subtitles are the real pain the butt.

Like actual subtitles, or spots where you couldn't clearly make out what you were saying?

I tend to do some text overlays (I'm getting better at actually saying what I used to have to put a text overlay in for), which has sped things up significantly.

-John

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Like actual subtitles, or spots where you couldn't clearly make out what you were saying?

I tend to do some text overlays (I'm getting better at actually saying what I used to have to put a text overlay in for), which has sped things up significantly.

-John
Actual subtitles, that is a major pain in the butt and drains your life away.. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: YBGuy and Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Actual subtitles, that is a major pain in the butt and drains your life away.. LOL

I can only imagine how many words one says in a 10-15 minute video! I haven't done any subtitles yet. If there's something that I don't think YT can pick up for it's closed captions, I put a text overlay and move on.

There's enough parts of editing that still suck up most of my time - I don't have room for subtitling.

-John

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
One thing to remember about audio is that you can't fix everything, and the best place to fix audio issues is at recording time, not post production. At this point, I'm using it to clean up my audio a little bit, not fix glaring issues - those I have mostly fixed via mic placement.

-John

This is totally true, I tried so hard to fix bad audio back in 2019, and all I got in post after trying to fix bad audio was more bad audio. Hence a lot of music track dub overs for a while.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
This is totally true, I tried so hard to fix bad audio back in 2019, and all I got in post after trying to fix bad audio was more bad audio. Hence a lot of music track dub overs for a while.

I used to think my audio was OK (I knew it wasn't great), but in November I did some audio tests when my winter jacket caused my voice to be muffled & nasally. Now, with a simple drag & drop of a noise reduction effect in Resolve, I get audio that I think is quite good... making the older stuff almost unbearable. I still have 1 or 2 projects in the queue (and a couple uploaded but not published) from before those November tests, and I cringe.

I'm not doing anything noteworthy (ie, getting low or riding fast) in the footage, so it'll have to be what it is I guess.

-John

Reactions: YBGuy

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
I used to think my audio was OK (I knew it wasn't great), but in November I did some audio tests when my winter jacket caused my voice to be muffled & nasally. Now, with a simple drag & drop of a noise reduction effect in Resolve, I get audio that I think is quite good... making the older stuff almost unbearable. I still have 1 or 2 projects in the queue (and a couple uploaded but not published) from before those November tests, and I cringe.

I'm not doing anything noteworthy (ie, getting low or riding fast) in the footage, so it'll have to be what it is I guess.

-John
Sounds interesting, would love to listen to some before and after clips if you have some with your original audio clip and then the post audio fixes applied on the later clip. : )

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I have examples on my YouTube channel (in finished form with music, so not perfect examples), but I've been meaning to do a "Davinci Resolve for Moto Vloggers" series anyway, so this gives me an excuse / prompt reason to do the first video in that series...

So, give me a couple of days and I'll whip something up :D and post it here, if that's OK with the mods. It won't be under a minute though - it'll be a fully-finished video ;)

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Any full videos go in the members vlogs section, as they always have! :)

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Any full videos go in the members vlogs section, as they always have! :)

Fine. I'll post it there and link to it here ;) Or just mention it :D

Pardon my snark, it's been a week.

-John

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Me too, but I know its not likely to happen any time soon so good on you!

I recorded the tutorial tonight, and will be editing it over the next couple of days. Not sure if I'll bump Friday's planned video release to the next week or make this one a "bonus 3rd video" for this week.

Thanks to whomever it was that suggested OBS ... easy to install / setup / use. Hopefully you guys like the video and request future tutorials - I'm happy to make them!

-John

Reactions: LandyVlad

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
That was me. I love it because, like Resolve, it's both awesome AND free.

I thought it was, but it was late and I was working on the video tutorial when I posted that... so yeah.

What else do you want to see in Resolve? I am using OBS to record my screen, I just wish it had a cursor highlight, rather than me circling my mouse around while I talk LOL.

So far, I'm about halfway through the video, and I think it's coming along nicely - it's gonna look really good when it's done.

On a side note, I got to play around with my green screen, and THAT looks fabulous! I really got a handle on the masks in Resolve, so you literally cannot see any of the junk in my YouTube Studio / Porch :D (the "Studio Upgrades" video is also still in the works)

-John

Reactions: LandyVlad

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I can DEFINITELY do that ... I've done several green screen-ed videos now, so I'm getting pretty good at it (I think).

There's a LOT in there, but I can cover the basics.

I used it for my "5 bikes you can't buy" video that I did, and it's about 95% good LOL. (the green screen - the content, maybe not so much)

-John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
steveyswid Editing Talk 24

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts