Helmet cam on flip front helmet?

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
Helmet cam set ups seem easy to accomplish with a standard motorcycle helmet- mount on side, top or chin guard.

My Shoei GT-Air is a different matter. Can't mount on top as that's where the face shield swings to.

Can't do a chinguard mount if a microphone is being used (as I want to do) as wiring would be an issue when the front is flipped.

Seems to pretty much leave only the side of the helmet - but due to mechanism for flipping up front of helmet the camera would face out at about 45 degree rather than to the front.

Surely others here have this type of helmet, and if so I'd love to hear your solutions please.

As far as cameras go I have a GoPro Hero 2 (yeah I know) and a Sony camera (can't recall name at the moment, but this one has a better profile for a sidemount as far as streamlining goes.

I'm not looking to do any YouTube vlogging as such at the moment. Mostly just as a dashcam / recording wankers on phones thing.

Cheers all :)

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I know people who have a gopro on the front of the flip-front helmet.
Wiring is a bit more tricky, but can be done. Or disconnect the mic when not vlogging.

Drift could help as well with the side helmet problem, due to their rotating lens.

Reactions: LandyVlad

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
have a look through some of the threads on here, a little while ago someone posted their helmet setup with an arm from the side putting the camera at the front! :)

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
I've looked through the threads and couldn't find any re camera setup on a flip front - not to say there aren't some just that I couldn't find them :)

Best perspective is all very well, but it has to be workable :)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I've looked through the threads and couldn't find any re camera setup on a flip front - not to say there aren't some just that I couldn't find them :)

Best perspective is all very well, but it has to be workable :)
Although this is for an openface helmet, you might be able to do similar with a flip lid:

Blackfish

Wannabie Member
Jul 17, 2020
I ride a
Goldwing 1800
I have a modular helmet Shark Eve One 2. I use Sena Prism Tube cam fits nice on the side. I place the mic on the cheek pad. I m looking how to install a boom mic but need the right adapters Which I have not found as of yet

Musicman

Wannabie Member
Jul 17, 2020
Oklahoma
I ride a
2016 Harley-Davidson Streetglide Special
I have a Torc T27B modular helmet for my setup with a gopro 7silver mounted on the chin bar. I use a tascam DR-05x to record audio. The wire for the mic runs from the recorder in my pocket, inside my jacket, up to my helmet. The wire is held in place under the cheek pad but the mic sits on the front of the cheek pad protruding between the shell and cheek pad. I learned the hard way to adjust the recording settings in the tascam though. First outting it sounded like I was simultaneously chewing on the mic and screaming LoL. Audio has to be synced in post with the video.

Hondamike

Wannabie Member
Aug 27, 2023
I ride a
Honda vfr800
Helmet cam set ups seem easy to accomplish with a standard motorcycle helmet- mount on side, top or chin guard.

My Shoei GT-Air is a different matter. Can't mount on top as that's where the face shield swings to.

Can't do a chinguard mount if a microphone is being used (as I want to do) as wiring would be an issue when the front is flipped.

Seems to pretty much leave only the side of the helmet - but due to mechanism for flipping up front of helmet the camera would face out at about 45 degree rather than to the front.

Surely others here have this type of helmet, and if so I'd love to hear your solutions please.

As far as cameras go I have a GoPro Hero 2 (yeah I know) and a Sony camera (can't recall name at the moment, but this one has a better profile for a sidemount as far as streamlining goes.

I'm not looking to do any YouTube vlogging as such at the moment. Mostly just as a dashcam / recording wankers on phones thing.

Cheers all :)
Hi mate
have you solved this on your flip helmet I have a viper flip helmet and thinking of getting the ghost cam ?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Hi mate
have you solved this on your flip helmet I have a viper flip helmet and thinking of getting the ghost cam ?
He hasn't been active on the forum for a while.
I used to run a flip up Schuberth helmet. I ran my GoPro on the chin with that helmet, and a short mic, so if I flipped it up, the whole lot went with it. Meant I couldn't record with it up, but never did that anyways. You might find a side-mounted Drift Ghost camera could work well, all really depends on where the hinge is vs places suitable for mounting the camera on the side.

tojjer29

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2023
Dorset, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2023 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE Grand Tourer
In case anyone else has the same problem, I'm sure I've watched someone on youtube with that helmet, and a gopro sat on the chin/flip piece. They had enough slack wire on the outside to allow the lid to flip up.
If I can remember who, I will post it here. It will be someone I sub to, so must have it somewhere

Reactions: R-Rated

tojjer29

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2023
Dorset, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Why do you need slack wire, if you could put the mic also on/in the chin piece?
Very true, if you stuff it all inside the chin piece. This person didn't, they had stereo breakout cable from the Gopro mic adapter going to a mic on one side of it, and to something else to record dual audio from their comms.

Slorida

Wannabie Member
Aug 19, 2023
Oldham
I ride a
Honda CBR500R, Honda NC750S and Triumph Sprint ST1050.
Why do you need slack wire, if you could put the mic also on/in the chin piece?
It will depend on how long the mic wire is. A short mic wire will suit a chin mount, but a long wire might not give much room to stow it away.

I have a chin mounted Insta360 One RS on my flip front Shoei Neotech II helmet and the mic wire I have is far to long for the mic to be sat in the flip front chin area.

Drift cameras generally suit side or top mounting, if you need a chin mount for different makes you can try the GoPro style mounts, or there are a couple of companies that do chin mounts for a range of helmets, "Chin Mount" and "Ride Tech". Both advertise as super sticky mounts, but having tried both, I think they are not so good in hot weather, and require pretty accurate placement first time.

Reactions: R-Rated

tojjer29

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2023
Dorset, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
It will depend on how long the mic wire is. A short mic wire will suit a chin mount, but a long wire might not give much room to stow it away.

I have a chin mounted Insta360 One RS on my flip front Shoei Neotech II helmet and the mic wire I have is far to long for the mic to be sat in the flip front chin area.

Drift cameras generally suit side or top mounting, if you need a chin mount for different makes you can try the GoPro style mounts, or there are a couple of companies that do chin mounts for a range of helmets, "Chin Mount" and "Ride Tech". Both advertise as super sticky mounts, but having tried both, I think they are not so good in hot weather, and require pretty accurate placement first time.
Ive got the ride tech sculptured mount on my shoei gt air 2, seems pretty sturdy so far

Reactions: Slorida

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I'm walking against the same problem.
And I hadn't considered the use of a short mic wire and just keeping it all tucked in the chin...

So now we need to find a short wire mic, that is of good quality.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Reactions: Theodor