Hello :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl2_d2

Wannabie Member
Apr 25, 2012
I ride a
as a pillion for now
Do you enjoy the bandit by the way? I think they're a really nice looking bike and I was considering either one of those, or a hornet when I pass my test (when I have money haha) how do you find it to handle etc?

MedicDan

Wannabie Member
Apr 16, 2012
Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
www.bikething.co.uk
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 600 K6
Charl2_d2 said:
Do you enjoy the bandit by the way? I think they're a really nice looking bike and I was considering either one of those, or a hornet when I pass my test (when I have money haha) how do you find it to handle etc?

Not sure who that was at but if it was aimed at me, yes - I love the Bandit, both the 1200 and the 600 before it. I think the 600 would be a great bike to start out on after passing your CBT. Ok so they aren't the flashest bikes out there compared to some but for ease of riding and maintenance, especially to start out on, I don't think you could pick a better bike. You always have the newbie bumps and scrapes on any bike when you first start out, like new car drivers do - Bandits can take these all day long. Their engines are bulletproof and reliable. The parts are cheap and dead easy enough to get hold of. You can customise them to your own taste with more aftermarket parts than most bikes and they have enough power as a step up from a 125cc, that will do you comfortably for your first few years till you have built up a few years no claims without you getting bored and feeling like you are the slow one in the group on a ride out.

The 1200 is no different at all except for it weighs more and has more torque. The power is obviously noticeably quicker and you don't every feel like it has a limit, but then I've just stepped down from a 1200 Bandit to a 600 Gixer. Totally different bikes.

I think every one should have a Bandit at some point in their bike catalogue, just for the experience. I wouldn't think twice about getting another. I loved it. I got shut of mine cuz after riding unfaired bikes for the past 5-6 years, I fancied a change. Or maybe it was something I just needed to get out of my system.

If you do look at getting one though and want any advice, feel free to drop me a line and I'll help where I can. You are always better getting one (if you can) that has had as little done to it tricked-up-wise as possible. Whilst they can take a lot of battering, they are notorious for being 'Streetfightered', wheelied, stunted etc. Its always ice to get one that hasn't had this done to it so you have a blank canvas to make it 'yours'.

I can't speak for the Hornet as I've never had or ridden one. I think a few on here have though.

Charl2_d2

Wannabie Member
Apr 25, 2012
I ride a
as a pillion for now
Thanks for that :) I think 1200 would be a bit much after I pass my test so I would be looking at a 600, and preferably a new one so I know how it's been ridden like you say. It's all to do with money at the moment, being a student has financial drawbacks haha

MedicDan

Wannabie Member
Apr 16, 2012
Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
www.bikething.co.uk
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 600 K6
Charl2_d2 said:
Thanks for that :) I think 1200 would be a bit much after I pass my test so I would be looking at a 600, and preferably a new one so I know how it's been ridden like you say. It's all to do with money at the moment, being a student has financial drawbacks haha

Fair point and you are right. A 1200 would be a little too big a step from passing your test IMO.

I know what you say about a new bike but if finances are a limitation, check out the earlier models. There's plenty of them around and they tend to have more character than the newer ones.

This is the Mk1

e645a-suzuki_gsf600_bandit_mk1.jpg

the Mk2 - notice the difference with the frame and the back end. Other differences were upgraded braking systems.

7f4ee-suzuki_gsf600_bandit_mk2.jpg

and the latest model

2010+suzuki+bandit+1250n+33.jpg

You will pick up a Mk1 from ebay, remember what I said previously about they are pretty hard to knack up, for around £800

This was my 1200 Mk1

2012-01-15144232noplate.jpg

CurlyBlakey

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
South Suffolk, UK
I ride a
2004 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer
Sorry for the delayed reply RE Bandit, and i've just got in from work so i'll keep it short.

Overall very good and capable, decent on fuel and if you get a faired one it works well.

Good:

-Cheap Insurance
-Solidly built
-Loads of cheap parts
-Decent on fuel

Bad:

-Brakes are just short of useless
-Very top heavy

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date