GRASS/GRAVEL

ebiter76

Wannabie Member
May 3, 2020
I ride a
SSR110 pit bike/SSR XF250
So I've heard a lot about how dangerous grass can be for riders when its in the street, and I've personally heard from at least one rider who fell in the street due to loose gravel. I know things can happen to anyone and everyone's different, so I was wondering how big of a concern this is for an average every day rider?

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
not overly

just know what to do

no front brake

look where you want to go

Reactions: ebiter76

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
We get a lot of gravel here, especially in corners. So always on the lookout for anything weird in the road.

I've had issues with wet leaves on the road, was while lane splitting.

Basically always try be as smooth as possible when riding. Wet grass is a like riding on ice

Reactions: ebiter76

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
In the road, if you are paying attention to the road surface and riding sensibly, you should not really have an issue with it, just don't target fixate and keep calm if it gets squirrrelly :)

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I mean I have had plenty of squirrely moments on gravel in the past but the only times I ever dropped a bike on gravel has been when I'm trying to park and my feet have slipped lol

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Very concerning. Especially in the countryside with hills and curves.

Plus, if some low brow is not wise enough to not blow grass in the road while mowing then are they smart enough to not more over items that make shrapnel for tires?

April-8-11+005.jpg

Gemini

Los Angeles R1 Motovlogger
Apr 16, 2020
Los Angeles
I ride a
2019 Yamaha R3 ABS
Really depends on the speed you are going ;)
This. And this is also why I try not to push my own riding limits in the canyons. Every weekend a different turn has rocks. You just never know. So you have to be prepared for every turn to have rocky gravel, and I mean big rocks. That being said, be aware of the road in front of you, dont ride to the limit of your own ability. Increase the ceiling before riding faster. If you are riding all out to your ability, you wont be prepared for worst case scenarios. When commuting ride to like 30% of your ability and use focus on traffic.. when spirited riding for enjoyment, stay about 50 to 60% of your ability. When pushing your limits, stay at 80% max, is my opinion.

Edit: I wanted to add when riding new roads, stay in the spirited enjoyment range. Only push your limits on familiar roads you know very well.

ebiter76

Wannabie Member
May 3, 2020
I ride a
SSR110 pit bike/SSR XF250
I definitely appreciate all the advice, i'm looking into getting a dual sport 250 so this is just something that is always stuck in my head when thinking about riding on the street

Reactions: HippoDrone

Gemini

Los Angeles R1 Motovlogger
Apr 16, 2020
Los Angeles
I ride a
2019 Yamaha R3 ABS
I definitely appreciate all the advice, i'm looking into getting a dual sport 250 so this is just something that is always stuck in my head when thinking about riding on the street
It's really not a big deal unless you're moving. Unless it's really bad for some unusual reason like the photo above, then you gotta take special precautions

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Just don't take blind turns to quick if you don't know what's around the bend.
Look at the dirt on this road.

This is why I'm always very cautious on roads which are new to me. Until I know what hazards to expect I mostly ride the speed limit. Gravel, wet grass, dirt, potholes, all can be very dangerous when you aren't expecting nor prepared for them, but at reasonable speeds the danger can be mitigated a lot.

Now, if I'm on a road which I know very well, THEN I ride more aggressively. :cool:

Reactions: Madlad and Gemini

Madlad

Absolute Madlad
Apr 24, 2020
Canada
I ride a
2014 Yamaha R6
When I was a noob I ended up crashing because I didn't know the road. The road turned into gravel from a paved road right after the top of a hill. Basically what the the guys have said, as long as you know the road then riding normally is fine. You just have to be careful on unfamiliar roads :)

Reactions: WheelyPerd

Skant153

Wannabie Member
Feb 22, 2020
Rochester, NY
www.sandycreekmanor.com
I ride a
97 CBR 900RR
98 VFR800
98 Valkyrie
07 VT1100
grass, leaves, gravel, sand, dirt.. they all slip between your tires and the road. as long as you're not turning hard to trying to suddenly change what you're doing (braking, turning, etc) it's not a big problem. if you start to lose it on gravel, gun it. it's the only way to clear out what's under your tires and hope for traction.

MMVNJ

Wannabie Member
Jul 28, 2020
I ride a
Indian Scout
Had a friend high-side after hitting some gravel. I think he hit the rear brake locked it up then released the brake, and went over. Luckily he only skinned up his knee a bit, but the bike needed some work.

There a few people in my area that are repeat offenders when it comes to blowing the grass into the road, one of them on a pretty sharp turn. Like others have said, don't push it to the limits, and don't panic if the rear end gets a little loose.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts