GoPro Mount for Full Face Helmet

Rickinator

Wannabie Member
May 6, 2020
I ride a
Harley Fat Boy
First time on this forum so any help would be appreciated. Taking first crack at a VLOG from Cincinnati to the Tail of the Dragon. All back roads. I am going to use my GoPro 7 and would like to use a mike too. If I do a helmet mount I want the camera towards the front of my full face helmet. It cannot be attached in front because my helmet is a 3 way and I can pull the front off. I would prefer a side mount that curves around. Also interested in any other mounts directly on bike with some reach like 22' or so. I am riding a Harley Fat Boy so I want to be conscious of vibration.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Hi, helmet mounting will give you the best stabilization, and best perspective. You can make a line of various arms to get the camera where you want it, the thumb screws are not pretty, so you can replace them with screws of the same thread to tidy it. I do recommend buying genuine mounts rather than the very cheap knock off copies, they are brittle and snap easily.
On bike an HD will vibe a LOT so you really want to mount it in a place that vibrates the least, and use short mounts to reduce the oscillation they can induce.

Reactions: Rickinator

Rickinator

Wannabie Member
May 6, 2020
I ride a
Harley Fat Boy
Hi, helmet mounting will give you the best stabilization, and best perspective. You can make a line of various arms to get the camera where you want it, the thumb screws are not pretty, so you can replace them with screws of the same thread to tidy it. I do recommend buying genuine mounts rather than the very cheap knock off copies, they are brittle and snap easily.
On bike an HD will vibe a LOT so you really want to mount it in a place that vibrates the least, and use short mounts to reduce the oscillation they can induce.
Have you ever seen original GoPro arms that are curved? I saw the aftermarket ones and you are exactly right, the review say they are brittle.

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
With all these things, you're going to have to experiment for yourself and try it out - do a bunch of local testing before going on the trip. I learned the hard way, my entire NC500 ride has the camera cocked at a 45 degree angle...

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Like @WEB says, you need to test and try out various solutions before you need them to work, so trysome stuff... but basically as @R-Rated has said, their is no magic fix, just trial and error! :)

• Love
Reactions: Pooley and R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
With all these things, you're going to have to experiment for yourself and try it out - do a bunch of local testing before going on the trip. I learned the hard way, my entire NC500 ride has the camera cocked at a 45 degree angle...
That is one of the reasons I use the rotation mount. My spine like to realign on its own so I look over top of the camera and compare it with the horizon.

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
First bit of advise has to be avoid cheap mounts and sticky pads. Experiment with a number of mounting positions before you head for your trip as you don't want to get home and realise your pointing at the verge for the duration.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I don't think Gopro has curved arms but here is how the linked short arms do..

I'm using a curved arm with my open face helmet to mount my Hero 8 in front of my chin currently, works really well.

I'll have a new vid up on my channel Monday morning showing my motovlog setup with the curved arm. I got it with a GoPro accessory kit on Amazon, a 61 parts kit. The link is in my video descriptions, here it is:

GoPro Accessory Kit: https://amzn.to/2WH2ZCF

Something like that might work for Rick too?

Reactions: Pooley and R-Rated

Gemini

Los Angeles R1 Motovlogger
Apr 16, 2020
Los Angeles
I ride a
2019 Yamaha R3 ABS
You can buy custom 3D printed mounts as well, like I did. It depends on if they are available for your helmet or not though.

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I just watched his video too, didn't even think something like that would be possible!

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Yeah, I made a motovlog on my helmet setup and posted it in the Members Vlogs section.

I had to, I've gotten SO MANY requests from viewers to show how I'm doing what I am with an open face helmet.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CollingsB Camera Setups 32
G Camera Setups 11

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts